Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Moving - after the age of 70!!!

ANSWERED

Like so many I 'use' to be active...and it seems the older I get the less I move, and the less I want to move!  I need something...but what....a goal, a treat, a pal close enough to reach to?!!  

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pam
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Get a copy of "Younger Next Year." I think you'll find a great deal of motivation there. For what it's worth, my doctor says that the healthiest people he sees all have one thing in common: they are serious walkers. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

A pal gets my vote @Pamela_June !

Tandem walking is the way to go - mutual obligation to keep the appointment.

Find a friend that wants to help or needs help and use the stepping time to enjoy each other's company 🙂  Set common goals rather than competing; its the results of moving daily that becomes the treat.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

Thanks.....I am trying to find someone who wants to walk, however if I do not find anyone - it won't stope me - I will make a commitment to myself!

Pam
Best Answer

Amazing how many solo walkers are out there waiting for someone with the same schedule - they've been waiting on you to show up - excellent attitude!

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

@Pamela_JuneI love your positive attitude. If you can't find someone to physically walk with you, consider starting a challenge with friends. Work week hustle for example, so even if you are walking alone you have friends competing, checking each others daily steps, and holding each other accountable. I have friends all over the world, some I've never met, but they are part of my support system and will ping me if they see I haven't been walking. Building a community of like minded people, like this forum community can help keep us all moving. 

Keep stepping! 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

@Pamela_June, I moved on past 70 some time ago, and I'm still very active - but then, I always have been. I personally enjoy the peace of and quiet of walking and communing with nature. We have lots of nature preserves in our area with great walking trails, which I enjoy. 

One of the best motivators to get us out walking every day is a dog!  Unfortunately, our Golden Retriever died and we haven't gotten another one, but we enjoyed taking each other for walks.  As soon as I started getting my hiking shoes, she would show up with her leash so she wouldn't be left behind. But, sometimes when I was busy or didn't feel like a walk, she would bring the leash to me as a gentle reminder that it was time to go...  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Larry - thank you so much for your post..... it really helped....and I hope to get moving more - I need more 'friends' like you.... stay healthy, stay moving and if possible... stay in touch!

Thanks a million ...🙋🙂🎈

Pam
Best Answer
0 Votes

Chapman 

Marici

I want to say a big thank you both also...(just learning how this site works!!  🙂)    I will take all the wonderful ideas and energy and put them to work in my life!

Please all of you keep in touch .....I hope I know how to find you again!!  🤔🙂

Pam
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pamela_June I think stepping with you would be a good time. I hope you find someone close enough to walk with, but if you don't, like the rest suggested there are folks here who would enjoy walking with you virtually. If there are shops or cafes or anything interesting relatively close, make a routing to walk and visit each place. You never know who you might friend over coffee or a really awesome sale. Either way- have fun!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get a copy of "Younger Next Year." I think you'll find a great deal of motivation there. For what it's worth, my doctor says that the healthiest people he sees all have one thing in common: they are serious walkers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks... I will get that book!!!  ... also I ordered me a new FitBit!  I  have always had the ONE, however I just received the FitBit Alta HR ... I just want something to help me get motivated!!!  

I mean, gee whiz, I 'use' to be so active and now I do nothing!!!   And it is not because I have any thing 'broke' or sick... I am just lazy and I don't like being this way!    

I am going to get out of this cycle of doing nothing!!!

(sorry to venting...& thanks for the suggestions)

Pam

Pam
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think you'll find the book motivating. And if you need the occasional kick in the butt, give me a holler. I try to walk 10,000 steps a day, rock climb 2-3 times a week, and am 71 years old!

Gini

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I passed 70 some time ago and just sat around, when I decided it was time to get moving,

putting on weight and my cardiologist telling me to lose, it was a wakeup call. But  could not find someone it get out and exercise with, I joined a Gym. You get to meet people and even better if they accept Silver Sneakers (A Program for seniors) with other people in the same age group helps keep you motivated. Trust you fined this helpful info. If you get started on a exercise routine would be nice to hear.

Best Answer