Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get more steps in when working a sit down job 9-5:30pm

ANSWERED

I just purchased the Fit Bit Charge 2 and I love it. My challenge is getting my walks in and wanting to get as much steps in as I can during the day. I am on the phones a lot at work and I try to move as much as I can. I do feel that I need more time to walk during the day , but I am tied to my desk and its noticeable 

when I am getting my steps in.....and after work I can walk but I don't want to have to get all my steps in in the evening. I am exhausted ... any tips??? I need to lose 40 lbs ...

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There are two parts in your post: 1) you want to move more, 2) you want to drop weight. Both goals are worthy, but I won’t link one to the other. Weight loss is usually achieved primarily via nutrition, not exercising. Being more active is important (especially to someone who has an office job and an otherwise sedentary lifestyle), but the benefits of increased physical activity should be seen primarily in terms of health and fitness.

Now, let’s face it: if you have a job that has you sit all day, you’ll have to get your activity outside of the 9 to 5:30 bracket. I understand you can have a stressful job, but how can you be "exhausted" if you’re sitting all day? I don’t know the time it takes you to commute to work, but can’t you dedicate 30-45 minutes to walking early in the morning, and the same once you’re back home from work?

Have a critical look at what you are typically doing between the time you get home and the time you go to bed. I’m sure you can squeeze in some time for a walk or other ways of moving. For me, it was skipping TV watching altogether. I also have a desk job and I’ve been averaging 18k steps per day for the past 5 years.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

By tied to your desk do you mean you are using the computer at the same time as the phone? If you are simply answering calls but don't need to type then get a head set and walk around the office while you are talking, although if there are others in the office this might be distracting for them. Every hour take a trip up to the roof via the stairs and back down to the ground floor. If you don't work in a high rise or multiple level office building then take a walk around the building ever hour.

Offer to pick up lunches for your colleagues and walk to the destinations and pick them up and brink them back, walk quickly so the food doesn't get cold or they run out of time to eat it.

Best Answer

There are two parts in your post: 1) you want to move more, 2) you want to drop weight. Both goals are worthy, but I won’t link one to the other. Weight loss is usually achieved primarily via nutrition, not exercising. Being more active is important (especially to someone who has an office job and an otherwise sedentary lifestyle), but the benefits of increased physical activity should be seen primarily in terms of health and fitness.

Now, let’s face it: if you have a job that has you sit all day, you’ll have to get your activity outside of the 9 to 5:30 bracket. I understand you can have a stressful job, but how can you be "exhausted" if you’re sitting all day? I don’t know the time it takes you to commute to work, but can’t you dedicate 30-45 minutes to walking early in the morning, and the same once you’re back home from work?

Have a critical look at what you are typically doing between the time you get home and the time you go to bed. I’m sure you can squeeze in some time for a walk or other ways of moving. For me, it was skipping TV watching altogether. I also have a desk job and I’ve been averaging 18k steps per day for the past 5 years.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I am struggling to get my steps in as well. I am curious to what kind of responses will be given. I work 8-5 at the front desk. I am tied to my phone and computer as well. I have to let people in to the building, answer phone calls, make appointments and assist in any way that is needed. I do not have the luxury to, every hour, walk around the building. I do get a 15 minute break at 10 and 3:00. Maybe I could do something at break or lunch.  When I am sitting at my desk I try to do leg lifts or anything like that under my desk. 

Since most of our clients are on the first floor I could try to walk on the second floor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a desk job as well. I am in meetings most of the day on the phone and if I am not talking, I'm busy work tied to the desk. I am very lucky to have two things- Louie and Eddie- my two dogs. We walk every morning at least 1.5 miles which sets me up for the day with over 4000 miles. I walk between things, I walk to things- but mostly, I do all my miles at night. I leave for the gym or the park at 5 and I don't get back until my 14K goal is met. If there is a will, there is a way. Its just a matter of not talking yourself out of it.

I will echo Dominique's point about weight loss. You will not achieve weight loss through walking. You will achieve many health benefits which are equally important and it certainly augments weight loss, but you need to start in the kitchen.. figuring out what your daily intake should be in order to achieve weight loss, getting a scale to weight your food to ensure accuracy in logging, logging every calorie you take in.. that will give you weight loss. Good luck in your fitness goals... let us know how you progress.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

If you're not going into work until 9am, I'd prioritize waking up early to get in a 2,000-3,000 steps.  It doesn't take that long, probably less than half an hour depending on your pace.  You could get in even more, depending on how early you want to wake up.  

While you're at work, I'd try these things:

- Take a walking break every hour (as already suggested).  

- Print your documents to the printer furthest from your desk.

- Go to the bathroom furthest from your desk or take the long way.

- Make multiple trips. Example: You need to refill your water bottle and use the bathroom. Refill your water bottle, walk back to your desk, then walk to the bathroom, then back to your desk.

- Walk flights of stairs if you have them.

- Volunteer to run errands for the office, like grab the coffee, do the lunch run, etc.

- Walk in place while waiting on things, like the microwave to heat your lunch or while your documents are printing.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestions. I have started taking 20 minutes of my lunch break to walk the building and including the stairs. I also have started to make a point of walking to different offices (the long way) for questions and drop things off to people on Tuesday and Wednesdays (those are the days I am not tethered to the desk/phone). 

Best Answer
0 Votes