Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get steps with stationary bike

hi everyone. I'm wondering how to be fair with step count while on stationary bike. My treadmill broke, belt needs to be replaced, and I'm now resorted to my bike.  I do feel it's tracking calories burned but not impressed with steps count. I work out 45 minutes and keep my bpm from 110 up to 140 most of the time, average was 118 bpm.  I saw that someone posted selecting exercise to spinning instead of bike. I tried that today and got 2049 steps. When on treadmill I was getting close to 5000. Any suggestions 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Missanne11 - I hesitate to answer because this is not an official Fitbit answer, but here goes. For health reasons, I exercise often on recumbent devices. Since my hands are mostly still, I slip my Fitbit device into my sock when on these types of devices. Now, this will skew some of your data since the heart rate is different at the ankle than it is from the wrist where the device is meant to be worn. But this works for my purpose since steps are my main focus. You may want to try it. If you like this, it is possible to buy band extenders and ankle bands at Amazon.

Best Answer

This has become a sore topic in the community. With some users that do not want this time counted as steps. While a second group wants every pedal stroke counted and a third group wants the steps translated as if they had walked the distance. Then we have a 4th group that wants the steps counted equivalent to the calories burnt

What is Fitbit to do? 

In any case, the tracker needs to see movement for steps to be counted. On a stationary bike, their isn't much movement to the tracker that is mounted on the arm. 

Best Answer

I just know my heart rate is still in the same range as when on treadmill, and calories burned. I think that should also be calculated but I guess not by the sounds of it. It seems unfair lol, but I guess I have to keep in mind it's not all about the steps for fitness I guess like the scales lol!  It's not all about the number!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner gave you an answer of how to record steps while on a stationary bike. @Missanne11 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Missanne11  I know what you mean. Sometimes I think that's a drawback of the Fitbit. I tend to prioritize step-based activities over other things - like the bike - that I know I should do. But if they don't count as steps, I kind of feel gypped. 🙂 I think the thing to do is change your mindset. Your body knows you are doing a good thing, even if Fitbit doesn't. (Then try putting it on your ankle, as Carol-B said. 🙂

Best Answer

On HR-based devices the calorie burn is based on HR and calculations (it's not measuring calories burn of course, estimating).

If your HR averages the same, you should be getting the same calorie burn.

The name of the activity is meaningless there, merely for your benefit to review later.

The steps has no bearing, except to reach step goals or challenges.

But as said, sometimes a better workout could be not step based.

I shudder to think of the number of people skipping resistance training that would be great for their body transform merely because it has so few steps. Well, and calorie burn, but still.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I know I am also doing resistance training. I am in a challenge for getting steps in, and I realize now through this setback, that I may go with ankle for bike. It's not like I'm not doing any workout, and it will be a trial for seeing if comparable to my treadmill workout. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like your response that it is not all about the steps. I too experience a let down when an activity I thought would generate more steps doesn't. But, my main goal is calories burned, so as long as that is close to accurate, I am more than OK giving up steps. As long as I close the loops, a few hundred less or more isn't a deal breaker. You can easily make up steps taking a loop through your neighborhood, weather permitting. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Right, @emili And it's possible to make your goal calories, instead of steps, IIRC. That might be a better motivator than a step goal if your primary exercise method is something that is not step-based. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think steps are recorded as long as your arm is moving although i also do a exercise bike but don't get too many steps out of it.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes