Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work out with plantar fasciitis?

I was a distance runner in high school and college (rather a good one too) and about 3-4 months ago decided to start getting back into it as part of my attempts to get fit again. I started slow with one of those Couch-to-5K apps, and it's been really satisfying slowly getting better again.

However: About 2 months ago I started having some arch and heel pain—the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Rest and calf/ankle stretches made it go away fairly quickly, plus the added benefit of a week where I had the flu so was almost entirely off my feet, and it was never really terrible—usually just tightness in the morning that was pretty manageable. However after all that rest with 0 pain, I started running again this week, and holy cow is it back with a vengeance. I can hardly walk in the mornings, I limp around pathetically and running is definitely out of the question.

Beyond calf stretching and buying better cushioned shoe inserts, my doctor told me the best thing to do would be lose more weight. (As if I wasn't already working on that, jerk. I'm down 13lbs since December, another 20 to go. BMI currently ~27.) Anyhow, how can I lose weight and stay active when I'm required to rest my legs and feet? I feel so frustrated, and I was just starting to get excited about chipping away at my mile time.

I do not have a gym membership, so suggesting machines is sadly not an option. I've been running 3 days a week, going to a ballet class once a week, and using FitStar another 2-3 days. 

Any suggestions for activity while struggling with plantar fasciitis welcome, as well as any tips you have for recovery!

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Hi April! I was wondering if you could share more about the shoes that worked for you? I'm suffering from this as well. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
mollie823: I'm not April, but I ran for over 25 years was a Physical
Therapist and know alot about running injuries. The best shoe has a
straight last, and a firm heel counter for rear foot control. I also used
an over the counter orthotic for arch support. With all of the above I
continued to for 10 more years without symptoms.
Best Answer

Many people believe that yoga is a special kind of gymnastics that is aimed at improving and rejuvenating the body, creating harmony within the body and relieving stress. There are also people who attend yoga classes to lose weight, relax after working days, and treat their back. But when a person really plunges into the world of yoga, learns its basics, gets into the experience of mentors from the past, then he comes to realize the deep essence of this practice. Using yoga for other purposes often leads only to side effects. More tips can be found on the website https://yogapractice.com/yoga/yoga-exercises-for-help-plantar-fasciitis/ .

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess since an old topic has been brought back, share some more info I came across from a PT that fits other info I'd seen - just a better explanation of it. It's the long term remedy, not the immediate relief focus.

Full video should be viewed.

https://athleanx.com/articles/how-to-fix-plantar-fasciitis-no-more-heel-pain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes