Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Newbie question about using "Run" exercise mode. Hope someone can help.

ANSWERED

I am trying to become a runner but I'm very new to running so I tend to alternate jogging and walking. Is the "Run" exercise mode the right mode to be using? I know I'll get better & faster but should I be using a different exercise mode while I'm new at it? I don't feel like I'm really running. I only see Run. Walk & Hike as my options. 

Michele from Belleview, Florida
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @Auntm001, I used to be a runner a long time ago (I ran the London Marathon in 2001).  Last January, since it had been so long, I did the Couch to 5 k program.  I was using the Charge 2 at the time and found the Interval Workout really helpful for x minutes run / x minutes walk.  As you progress you may still find this helpful for improving -- either x minutes running / x minutes walk as you increase your distance, or x minutes sprint / x minutes jog for improving your time.  I think interval training is considered the best way of building and improving fitness.

Other than the Interval workout I think on your Ionic you will really enjoy the Run program, because when you sync you will have a record of your pace for each mile and a map, and you will also have a record of your heartrate so you can easily track your improvement.

Also, if you regularly use the Run program with GPS turned on you will get your cardio fitness score and you can watch that improve too!

Please do let us know how you get on with your running training.  I am sure it will inspire others!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

If it were me, I would let the tracker decide what activity it thinks you are doing. Then looking at your stats for that activity, you can either agree or change it. It may be interesting for you to have it at run and see your progress as you increase your time, pace and distance.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@Auntm001 wrote:

I am trying to become a runner but I'm very new to running so I tend to alternate jogging and walking. Is the "Run" exercise mode the right mode to be using? I know I'll get better & faster but should I be using a different exercise mode while I'm new at it? I don't feel like I'm really running. I only see Run. Walk & Hike as my options. 

I coach a lot of beginning runners and my regular advice is to search "Couch to 5k" (aka. C25K) programs; they come in many varieties from print to interactive for your phone, and find one which meets your lifestyle and environment.

Best Answer

@emili  -- I think that's what I'm going to do. I actually went a whole mile last night without walking!! I think seeing the results will help me get better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Auntm001 I like that. It's like a mini competition with yourself..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@shipo - Thank you for responding. I have the couch to 5K and love it. I started with that on my treadmill. However, I switched to the new Ionic and bought Bluetooth headphones and I love the idea of not taking my phone with me. I actually went outside last night for the first time ever without my phone and with the headphones on and was able to go a full mile without walking. I was very slow.. My pace was 14'39". But at least I did it !!! It was a very big accomplishment for me! I decided since I went a whole mile that I will definitely use the "run" mode to track and watch it getting better over time. I can't wait to do it again!! I think I am going to become a runner!!

Best Answer

Good luck!!! I became a runner this year.  I hesitate to call myself runner, but I run 6-10 miles a week and really like it.  I had a health screening and the nurse asked me if I was a runner because my pulse was so low and I think now medically I can confirm I run. 😄  I love hearing music and podcasts on my phone while I run.  It passes the time and I can forget myself.

Best Answer

Hi, @Auntm001, I used to be a runner a long time ago (I ran the London Marathon in 2001).  Last January, since it had been so long, I did the Couch to 5 k program.  I was using the Charge 2 at the time and found the Interval Workout really helpful for x minutes run / x minutes walk.  As you progress you may still find this helpful for improving -- either x minutes running / x minutes walk as you increase your distance, or x minutes sprint / x minutes jog for improving your time.  I think interval training is considered the best way of building and improving fitness.

Other than the Interval workout I think on your Ionic you will really enjoy the Run program, because when you sync you will have a record of your pace for each mile and a map, and you will also have a record of your heartrate so you can easily track your improvement.

Also, if you regularly use the Run program with GPS turned on you will get your cardio fitness score and you can watch that improve too!

Please do let us know how you get on with your running training.  I am sure it will inspire others!

Best Answer

@MagsOnTheBeach That is great !!  It gives me hope fro myself!

Best Answer

@Julia_G - I ran into a guy last night doing exactly that. He was doing a slow jog for 100 yards and sprinting 100 yards. He was extremely fit. (Imagine a really hot fire fighter) Watching him kept my mind off my own pain during my workout. I'm going to return to the couch to 5K program because I think it really works and will keep me motivated. Thanks for the advice!!

Best Answer

I really like the Couch to 5 k program too (did you know it was invented by a Brit and originally promoted by the British National Health Service?).

I did have to adapt it a little to use my Fitbit "Interval" exercise shortcut.  The intervals offered are pretty basic -- you have to always have the same gap (e.g. 5 mins running 2 mins walk) .  You can't have 3 or 4 different times (so no 5 mins run, 2 mins walk followed by 7 mins run, 3 mins walk, followed by 5/2 etc.). But except for that limitation it really made it easy.  Of course I know you can use an app too, but I liked being able to listen to my little radio instead and just feeling my Fitbit buzz when it is time to change pace.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G I'm going to look into the intervals through Fitbit. I don't want to have to take my phone with me. I was trying to figure out how I would time myself and the intervals sounds like the way. Thank You!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get a waist band or arm band for your mobile, it is much safer to carry your mobile with you while running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mohamed_Atwa I have both. Thank you for caring about my safety. If I run out of town I would carry my phone but when I run from my house I am safe without the phone. I live in a very small town. My whole town only has about 3000 people in it.

Best Answer
0 Votes