Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I do a High Intensity Training class should I add it as an activity?

ANSWERED

I wore my fitbit during the HIT class, so it would have counted my steps, but what about the weight work and ab work?  Should I add it as an activity and if so, how to quanitify the work?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Safari - Yes, your One is totally oblivious to all your upper body movements, so you won't get credit for all that energy expenditure unless you log the activity manually. When you do so, the caloric burn you would normally get for that activity will be split between what fitbit already allocated from the steps that were automatically recorded; and the activity per se.

Personally, I don't like that. I prefer NOT to wear my one unless it's for walking and walk/jog interval workouts. This way, not only do I avoid polluting my step stats with data that is not truly walking/jogging, but I also get the full credit for the workout (be it HIT, boxing, rowing, resistance bands ...) thus allowing me to track my performance improvement over time.

You see, if you always wear you One during those HIT workouts and look at your stats say in a month's time, the total calories burn from your HIT sessions will be incorrect, since part of your credit will reside in steps. And your calories burnt shown for steps/walk/jog will also be wrong, because they will include calories burnt during your HIT sessions.

Some folks prefer to wear their One all the time, because they want to maximize their step count. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't work for me.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Not know what fitbit you have and if you used the start stop button to record it.

I would log the Weights and ab work seperate. But at a different tim so it does not overwrite the activity you did

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB wrote:

Not know what fitbit you have and if you used the start stop button to record it.

I would log the Weights and ab work separate. But at a different time so it does not overwrite the activity you did

I use the timer function and then create the manual activity afterwards. I then have the calories displayed before and after the manual activity. If I walk and the HRM is significantly higher I do the same, again a before and after because as we know this doesn't affect step count.

Have a great evening...

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Safari - Yes, your One is totally oblivious to all your upper body movements, so you won't get credit for all that energy expenditure unless you log the activity manually. When you do so, the caloric burn you would normally get for that activity will be split between what fitbit already allocated from the steps that were automatically recorded; and the activity per se.

Personally, I don't like that. I prefer NOT to wear my one unless it's for walking and walk/jog interval workouts. This way, not only do I avoid polluting my step stats with data that is not truly walking/jogging, but I also get the full credit for the workout (be it HIT, boxing, rowing, resistance bands ...) thus allowing me to track my performance improvement over time.

You see, if you always wear you One during those HIT workouts and look at your stats say in a month's time, the total calories burn from your HIT sessions will be incorrect, since part of your credit will reside in steps. And your calories burnt shown for steps/walk/jog will also be wrong, because they will include calories burnt during your HIT sessions.

Some folks prefer to wear their One all the time, because they want to maximize their step count. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't work for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I have the Flex.  How do you log activities like weights?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Safari wrote:

Thanks, I have the Flex.  How do you log activities like weights?

Love how the gym is following the fad of putting HIIT on anything now it seems.

Anyway, Weight lifting is found under that, you decide if it was sets, reps and rests and heavy for you like power lifting, or lighter weight and easier but higher reps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely log all your activity.  I log my weight training and cycling separately.  American College of Sports Medicine recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of physical activity a week, so I log mine to see not only that I exceed that, but also to compare to the norms of others in my age group.

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer and NESTA Personal Fitness Trainer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Please add HIIT class to the activity database

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Karenpifer: there is no unified definition of "HIIT class", so your best bet would be to check the Compendium of Physical Activities, find what best matches what you are doing and manually calculate calories burned using the METs. My suggestion would be "circuit training, including kettlebells, some aerobic movement with minimal rest, general, vigorous intensity" (8 METs).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer