Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignore dangerous readiness scores

Yesterday I ran a half marathon… today my readiness score is 220 … this is both dangerous and completely stupid from Fitbit! So instead of complete rest I should run about 70 minutes over government recommendations for a WEEK! Now I know better so score as has been deleted but please do not take these stupid scores as anything more than rubbish! 

IMG_6929.jpeg

  

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@JulesNorthcott1 This is because DRS is based on active zone minutes and zone minutes don't consider the level of effort (blurring cardio/peak zones - huge range of HR that encapsulates several RPEs dumbed down to the single multiplier for AZM). An hour of tempo effort will grant you the same amount of AZM as a threshold/superthreshold effort. I do agree DRS is useless for athletes. I encountered the same issue when after a hard race the DRS was saying my activity level was low and recommended gaining more AZM while I really needed recovery. For athletes, I'd recommend ignoring it (AZM isn't a training metric but it is used as a big part of DRS and that makes it invalid).

Best Answer

I’ve been running training since a child and been competing for years (was semi pro) I obviously ignored it and deleted it but it is very very dangerous for anyone without basic knowledge to take it as gospel and continue to do “vigorous workouts” daily … I have had high readiness scores for 9 days consistently…. I run 3 x 10kms, 1 x long run (up to half marathon) and a fast paced 5km a week (factoring 2 days complete recovery)  … plus ride horses competitively and train most nights with them and everything else that entails! My activity rates are off the scale of what it considered “normal” and then I get a 220 readiness score today! 

Less knowledgeable runners or people taking up a more active life may not know this is rubbish and essentially using the readiness score as a “must do” is going to cause a potentially serious injury and in worst case a death from over exertion! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JulesNorthcott1 For most people it would be harmless as most people only think they do "vigorous" (the majority of people are far from what in training one would call vigorous not mentioning all-out efforts). Athletes, on the other hand, would know better so they would rather ignore DRS. Especially since this isn't the way people with any knowledge train. Nobody trains to gain zone minutes and do "vigorous" or whatever Fitbit advises. It's more like what you have described - a planned and scheduled effort which no score can disturb. I plan for incremental mileage, my long runs are currently from HM to 40km (sometimes more, depending on free time). Then speed training, hill training etc. Different training targets have different effects on the body. For example, after good hill training (for example, 10x500m@10%  can be brutal ) my legs just hurt. I use Parkrun as my usual 5k TT (all-out effort), etc. DRS doesn't know all of that and can't put metrics into context. If I run an easy 10k I will get more AZM from it than from an all-out 5k but it's the latter that was in fact harder. This shows that DRS is based on broken assumptions. I believe it is alright for beginners who just want to start moving and they need some direction but it isn't useful at all for people who train to targets and are aware of their efforts and training effects.

Best Answer

Yes I did have the convo with someone that thought walking round the block was a vigorous activity… I mean it may be for many especially if your motivation is weight loss and you are starting from doing nothing and in my opinion any moving is better than none but no it’s not going to reach a peak heart rate unless critically obese.

I’m currently training as a running coach as I might as well utilise my knowledge “officially” 

Our training is fairly similar (my 5km day is HIIT hills) although I’m more a middle distance runner and a half marathon to 25km is probably the most I can fit in time wise with a full time job and the horses! I am aiming to get back to competing as I’m doing 10kms in 45mins at 44 … I devise my own training plans to fit my schedule and aims and am a trained runner so even today after a half I could go out and run a 10km as little stiffness  … although I wouldn’t … your body needs rest days and this failure to put this on the app to ensure even the most novice person getting in to fitness knows that your body repairs on rest days is silly! We know what it means but so many people are guided by insufficient software in a watch app 

Best Answer
0 Votes

To put in knowledge context, I was a heptathlete competing on a national level till ACL’s went on take off leg and realised it couldn’t be a career … so now the horse comps are national and my running training is a personal aim to compete as a veteran well! I’ve worked on devised multi phase training as well as being a concentrated 800m runner! Weirdly I event horses which Is also multi phase 🤷‍:female_sign:🤷‍:female_sign: I like a challenge 🙄

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JulesNorthcott1   I'm moving this thread to the Get Moving forum.  The DRS is a Premium feature, but I think the Get Moving forum is a better choice.  I think it's a better place for discussion about the limitations of the DRS.

I also want to comment on your DRS of 222.  The Daily Readiness Score is on a 1-100 scale.  I think you got a recommendation to earn 222 active zone minutes.  Still pretty absurd the day after a half marathon.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer