Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase resting heart rate

My resting heart rate has increased from ~65 to ~95 from past 2 months. I am not facing any problem but concerned why it has changed suddenly. Earlier most of the time when I was idle it was around 65. I have consulted physician, done an ECG in which everything was fine. Physician tells me everything is fine but whenever I look at heart rate reading I feel something is not right. Please help.

Few things to add: BP is normal. Salt intake is normal. I donot have any high stress. 

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

First, I suggest starting a workout when you go to sleep and see what your actual heart rate is during the night. 

The first thing to look at is what is called stage 3 overtraining. This means you've overdone it considerably, and stopping all exercise for a week or two may start to bring the heart rate down. Then restart slowly. It can take months to get over this level of overtraining.

The second thought is your body is fighting off some infection. This may be indicated by an increase in white blood cell count. If this is the case, rest is mandatory as infections can cause considerable damage if they involve an essential organ.

Doctors never look at people's diet. If you are in ketosis or eating a lot of meat, this may be the problem. 

I suggest prodding your entire trunk area and looking for anything that hurts a little bit. If the white blood cell count is high, that is the first place to look.

Last spring, I had the same thing, and I backed off to get my heart rate down. Turns out that I had an infection they never found, but they also found I have neuroendocrine cancer in my liver and have had it since at least 2013. I've been controlling it with a whole food plant based diet. 

Best Answer

Thanks for suggestions, I will get my blood tested for white blood cells and get my report. I have not done any overtraining and mostly on vegetarian diet. Doctor advised not to check heart rate every now and then and said its perfectly fine below 100 mark. Maybe blood reports would help further.

Best Answer

@dhruv1000,

Note: I'm not a doctor. 

Added: Some people naturally have a heart rate near 100 and it doesn't cause them any problems. Increasing from 65 to 100 is not normal. 

I'd add a lipid profile to your testing. If your total cholesterol is below 150, the chances of a heart attack are close to zero. Especially if your LDL is below 60. Triglycerides don't matter much as they can vary a lot based on your last meal. If you are following a whole food plant based diet, total cholesterol below 200 is fine. I is NOT OK if you are eating animal products.

Since you are already vegetarian, I suggest switching to a whole food plant based diet.

1. Zero animal products including dairy and eggs. 

2. Zero vegetable oils 

3. Starch centered, meaning most of your calories will come from starch. About 1/2 of your plate should be starch (Google starches). Half should be non-starch vegetables. One serving of nuts is ok if you don't need to lose weight. Two or three fruits.

Macros should be about 80% carbs, 8% fat and 12% protein.

Go to www.drmcdougall.com for more information.

This way of eating will prevent, arrest, or cure virtually all degenerative diseases (Heart, cancer, diabetes, intestinal issues, kidney disease, etc.)

It can't hurt to switch immediately while looking for the cause. Stick with it if your heart rate goes down or the cause may return.

Best Answer

do you feel poorly? are you dizzy or get unexplained sweats? if you are not feeling like yourself in addition to the increased HR- I would go for a second opinion. Otherwise, you could be reacting to a change in weather or you could have a cold. You salt intake is higher than it was. You are taking a new medication or feeling more stressed. All these things effect HR. You may want to also monitor your blood pressure to make sure it hasn't gone up as well. Mostly, relax and continue to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. Stay active and laugh a lot.. reduces stress and sets off all kinds of good endorphins.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Blood pressure is normal. Taking only single medicine a day which doctor prescribed(Thealife), no other medicines or diet changes. Salt intake is also normal. I donot have any other stress or something. Only change is rise in HR. 

Best Answer
My heart rate was under 67bpm 5 months back but now it is 95bpm while no activity and 90bpm resting. I have already consulted 2 cardiologists who say that below 100bpm everything is ok. But I still feel 95bpm is high for me as earlier it has always been in 65-70bpm range. 
My ECG, Cholesterol tests were ok.
Vit D was 21.6 ng/ml (Doc prescribed Vit D capsules)
HbA1c 5.7%
My lifestyle is active and I do not know what to do next as both Doctors asked me to avoid noticing Heart Rate.
Best Answer

@dhruv1000, since you have had all of the tests, and everything was within the "normal" range, you probably have nothing serious to be concerned about. The resting heart rate can change from trivial life changes, such as stress at work or a change in exercise routines. I am not sure the recommended drastic changes in diet would great affect the RHR - I have always consumed lean meats and healthy fats, and even after 3/4ths of a century my RHR is normally in the low 50's.  How does your heart rate react to exercise - does it increase normally when you start exercising, or does it suddenly increase with slight exercise?  How soon does it return to normal after you exercise?  Those responses are a good indicator of your fitness level.

Best Answer

After running for 5mins 170bpm

After 1 min resting 130bpm

After 2 min resting 110bpm

After some time it drops to 100bpm and then drops very less and takes very much time to reach in 90s.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you ever get any answers on this?  I am experiencing the same thing as my heart rate can go from low 60s to high 90s when I'm just sitting.  I know normal is within some people's normal resting heart rate, but I feel like it isn't normal for me, like you said.

Best Answer

This is happening to me too... Turned out that I  have a flu virus

Best Answer

If I drink coffee/caffiene during the day my resting heartrate will be higher and will fluctuate throughout the day.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this thread is a few months old. Wanted to weigh in. I have had a sudden increase from RHR 68-72 exercising 6days a week to RHR 89. This correlated with a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism.  If anyone sees a spike like this it could be worth asking your doctor to check your thyroid levels, they’re not typically checked in a CBC. 

Best Answer

@LawAngel   Thanks for your post and I trust you and your doctor are making inroads to the cause/control..  My daughter had Hypothyroidism caused by high dosages of Lithium because of mental psychosis.

It made me think about my Low HR because my Naturopath examined my annual blood tests and noticed the Thyroid was just inside the low count towards Hypothyroidism.  She said doctors tend to ignore it.

I was due to see my doctor and he just did that based on all of the other blood tests.. and I keep getting lectures that he has "too many hypochondriac Fitness watch users":..  and we should go out and enjoy life.. We are probably putting pressure on the GP's.

Over the years with Fitbit I have seen the successful posts where using a Fitbit has made a user "ask the question with success", and stopped them sliding into a medical drama.

I wish you well.. and I hope it might just be an infection..

@LawAngel wrote:

I know this thread is a few months old. Wanted to weigh in. I have had a sudden increase from RHR 68-72 exercising 6days a week to RHR 89. This correlated with a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism.  If anyone sees a spike like this it could be worth asking your doctor to check your thyroid levels, they’re not typically checked in a CBC. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer