Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indoor Bike tracking [Bike Trainer} suggestions - Apps, direction, peripherals

Hello, ANY BIKERS OUT THERE? (that also ride indoor)

I was gifted a Charge 3. Should keep it or get something better for Bikers?

What do you do, or how do you track, Training on a stationary bike?

I have a Wahoo computer on my bike that tracks the SPEED and CADENCE (time, distance...etc) It can export to Strava. I use Strava to keep track of my outdoor rides.

But what are my options for tracking indoors with FitBit?

if Fitbit still can't import data from other sources, then the only useful reverse option would be to export the HR data to something like Strava... which I don't think FitBit does yet. 

Thoughts and suggestions?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I just manually add what ever the bike tells me and I use Bike.

You could also add Bike to your shortcuts. But I found it really doesn't pick it up well as its not Step based.

That's why I manually add it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not sure that any wrist based tracker is going to give you accurate steps for biking- actually, I am not sure that any pedometer will. I think for an activity that isn't step based, it might be better to focus on different data then steps. You can focus on active minutes, or HR or calories - something other than steps. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update, I use a Garmin watch to track my Indoor Bike info now.

Heart Rate, Cadence, and speed info are put together in the app, and the app pushes that to Strava.  Nice simple package. 

The only thing that would make it better is if the Gamin App has the Cadence and Speed live tracking.

So while I ride, I just use the Wahoo interface app.

It'll be interesting to see if Google's purchase of Fitbit will step up their game.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Isn't it the Wahoo sensors you are still using?

Makes sense to use the Wahoo head unit (that's the name given to whatever receives and displays the sensor data).

I don't think I'd like the idea of Garmin expanding the Garmin Connect app to become a head unit interface.

Leave that to the specific apps/devices that do it. Leave GC to be the summation of the daily stats.

Per sec bluetooth or ANT reading from 3-4 sensors would seriously suck up your phone battery life I'd think with screen on.

I know I've seen other apps to make your phone the head unit if you don't mind the limitations, let the Garmin still have the compiled info for upload compilation later.

Did you get the Fitbit & Strava connection going to receive that workout into Fitbit if still using it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@cdpage the watch displays cadence and speed on the screen. I attach the watch to the handlebar. I track HR with PolarH10 so no need to wear the watch during the ride (cadence, speed, and HR are paired with the watch). One thing I'm missing though is seeing how long I stay within a particular HR zone. For this, I use PolarV650 which is also paired with all my sensors and attached to the handlebar. If I'm lazy, I just broadcast HR from the watch, so V650 can connect to it and just use V650 as the main display for data but very often I forget to charge V650 so I end up again - watch attached to the handlebar 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes