Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro: Ex-Newsboy in Northern Wisconsin...

My name is Larry. I ran cross-country in high school. I would have joined the cycling team, but we didn't have one. Since I took awhile to get my driver's license, I did a lot of bicycle touring. After bending a rim on a city grate, I upgraded to a mountain bike w/ drop bars (1982) which I have dubbed the "argali" style. Before we had kids, my argali was my backup ride whenever I had car troubles (or no car at all).

Fourteen years ago, I took a job as door-to-door paper carrier, walking 9.5 miles, 2x/week, year-round. Three years later, I picked up a utility trike. In the last two years, my route was reduced to once/week. It was discontinued in January of this year. (At my peak, I had an RHR in the 40s, though still a little overweight.)

Since our youngest moved out, I have had my argali tuned up (for spring/summer/fall riding) and intend to keep triking in the winter (when roads are clear).

After nine months without an exercise routine, my RHR has creeped up to 70 and my waist inches have gone up, too. My abs have remained reasonably strong, but I don't really have the knees for running anymore.

I prefer outdoor cycling but have pulled some "resale" exercise equipment out of mothballs for use on rain & snow days,

• a simple motorized treadmill,
  • a fan-type spinning bike &
  • a hydraulic rower.

Ideally, I'd like to get my RHR back into the 40s and lose some inches off my waist. I am open to ideas (using my existing equipment) for my rainy day workout.

I just picked up a Fitbit Inspire HR, this month.

(Edit: Used old paper route for exercise routine. Corrected miles (based on Google Maps) to those read on my new odometer.)

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Argali/Inspire 3 ⛮ ₍⭖⁾
"Run in such a way as to attain the prize,
a crown that will last forever!"
Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Awesome to see you here @Argali, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure you'll find a lot of people that can help you to reach your new goals. I recommend checking these conversations: Muck-about March Madness and Indoors vs outdoors exercises.  Sorry to hear about your knees but I how you get better soon.

I'll be looking forward to your new comments!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer