Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to sleep? (Heart rate at 39bpm before bed)

ANSWERED

hello!

i have extraordinarily bad anxiety, so I’m wondering if this is something I should worry about. I’m honestly terrified to sleep because my brain thinks my heart will stop?

I don’t have any history of heart disease. My resting heart rate is generally in the low 50s. When I sleep, it’s dipped as low as 41. A few hours ago as I was literally falling asleep I saw it at 39.

Ive recently lost about 100lbs (started at 340,) so maybe that has something to do with it. I was doing 30min of some kind of exercise daily until this past month (I’m not sure if you’d consider that athletic.) I’ve also had a thyroidectomy and am in the process of lowering my synthroid dosage, so maybe that too? And I’ve been prescribed Clonidine for anxiety/blood pressure/sleep (the top number was 134, from thyroid med. I can’t remember the bottom,) but I only took half of a .1mg tablet 14hrs ago.

Im sorry if this is super scattered - it’s 4am. And i am scared to sleep.

I have a follow up appointment with a nurse practitioner this coming Tuesday, I just want to know if it’s safe to go to sleep.

Thanks so much in advance 💖

ps - hr was measured with the alta hr 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @heyoitsmargot,

I'm glad you have an appointment with your health care professional. That's going to give you the answers you need ultimately, especially with the history you provdied.

From my charts and others I've seen here, it's pretty common for the heart rate to dip below what's reported as the resting heart rate. My low rate for the night is often 10-15 points or more below resting.

Sleep is safe, and something we need. Our heart functions happen naturally and denying ourselves sleep is no solution, though I understand your anxiety and concern.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @heyoitsmargot,

I'm glad you have an appointment with your health care professional. That's going to give you the answers you need ultimately, especially with the history you provdied.

From my charts and others I've seen here, it's pretty common for the heart rate to dip below what's reported as the resting heart rate. My low rate for the night is often 10-15 points or more below resting.

Sleep is safe, and something we need. Our heart functions happen naturally and denying ourselves sleep is no solution, though I understand your anxiety and concern.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Dave | California

Best Answer

thank you so so much, dave. I can’t express how much you’ve helped put my mind at ease - I really appreciate it!

Best Answer

You're very welcome. Sweet dreams!

Dave | California

Best Answer

I am very happy to see you received a great reply. I don't have much to add to the heart rate discussion regarding this topic. However, I wanted you to know that years ago I was in a place where I was afraid to sleep (or even afraid of being afraid) simply from my anxiety. I just wanted to drop a little note that things can get better and there is a way out of it. I am no longer afraid of being afraid and afraid of sleeping and all my nights are solid. My wish for you is to keep hope while you go through the struggles. I know how hard and frustrating it can be.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer