Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to buy a treadmill, or will it become an expensive clothes hanger?

ANSWERED

I go to the gym and I use their treadmill, but I think to myself that I would use it more frequently if it was sitting in my living room.  I could walk/run while watching TV, listening to my tunes, whatever.  But I also see friends who use theirs as lawn art, a place to hang clothes, or inevitably, on Craigslist.  What do you think?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Definitely get a treadmill! I bought a used one a little over a year ago on Craigslist. It has MORE than paid for itself - it saves me gym membership fees and the regret of not running when I'm feeling lazy. Keeping it in a visible, desirable place will prevent the lawn art problem. Mine is in front of a TV so that I can watch movies; I also use my Kindle to watch Dancing with the Stars while I run, which is a great motivator!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

Get the treadmill.  If you're motivated to use it, you will.  I go to the gym, but I like my own treadmill for days when I don't have time to get there.  My Flex motivates me to move more and I get on the treadmill at home when I get bored.

Best Answer

My brother is the same as you KateDu. He goes to the gym, but says he does not have time to use their treadmill. He bought one himself & actually does use it. I told him that it was a waste of money because there are some at his gym.

I guess it just depends on the person. Like KateDu said....if you'll be inclined to use it then buy it. Maybe get a treadmill that has a return policy like 30 days. If you find yourself not being commited to it, then return it

Best Answer
0 Votes
We bought a treadmill a couple years ago as a New Years Resolution present/motivator. We used it continuously for about three weeks and then very, very, very sporadically for about 1.5 years. Then we purchased our Fitbits back in September and things changed. Now we use it multiple of times per week if not multiple of times per day. My wife uses it more than me but she hates the cold and refuses to walk outside this time if year. I really enjoy being able to use it during extremely cold or rainy days -- or when I just need an extra "x" amount of steps
Best Answer

Definitely get a treadmill! I bought a used one a little over a year ago on Craigslist. It has MORE than paid for itself - it saves me gym membership fees and the regret of not running when I'm feeling lazy. Keeping it in a visible, desirable place will prevent the lawn art problem. Mine is in front of a TV so that I can watch movies; I also use my Kindle to watch Dancing with the Stars while I run, which is a great motivator!

Best Answer

I agree with the advice to get one off Craigs list.  You can get them at such deep discounts, who cares if you use it or not?  I don't use mine much but it was a steal and I have room for it and I know when I don't have one, I just want one again.  If you have the motivation to use the ones at the gym, you probably will use one at home.  And if not, sell it on CL for what you paid for it then at least you'll know you tried!  Treadmills are the most-used of all home cardio machines.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

I'll use when I want to read or watch a video on the computer but if I'm stuck inside to workout for whatever reason I'm more likely to do a workout video (p90x, insanity...) More exciting and way cheaper than a treadmill.

My treadmill is in the basement where I don't have to look at it. If it had to be in my living room or bedroom I might feel differntly about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What's wrong in walking/running outdoors? It costs nothing, doesn't take up valuable real estate in your home, you'd get fresh air (well, maybe not if you live in a very polluted city) and the landscape/terrain keeps changing. I'd be bored to death if I had to use a treadmill.

Bad weather is a lame excuse for not going out IMO. With proper gear, you can walk/run outdoors in almost any weather condition.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I've had a treadmill before. What I liked better was a Tread Climber. I used mine for 7 years, then it gave out. The Tread Climber is shorter, which takes up less space, and has higher inclines than a treadmill. It's also wider. I loved mine and used it several times a week. The brand was NordicTrack.

I now have an elliptical machine. With the Tread Climber and elliptical, I have both in front of a television. This makes the workout much less monotonous. I much prefer to be outside to walk or jog, but having the television available makes my indoor workout not so boring.

If you do decide to buy a used treadmill, go to a gym equipment retailer first to try a few. The good ones are expensive, but they will save you money on gym fees in the long run, and will operate better and with less problems, plus have more options that you may like.

Best Answer

We just bought one off a friend a couple weeks ago, and my activity level has skyrocketed! I was a little hesitant to spend the money at first, because I wasn't sure I would use it, but it has a few programs that I like, and as some people previously said, it's great to get those bonus steps at the end of the day while watching a period of hockey or a quarter of football!

If you're not too sure, check for a used one. Maybe one of those friends who's treadmill is collecting dust would be willing to sell!

-Adam
Best Answer
Agree with others, get a treadmill. I'd much rather get home from work and go on a bike ride or run out doors, but bad weather it is just so much easier to hop on the treadmill for a quick 30 rather than get back in your car drive to gym , work out, drive home.
Best Answer

I have a treadmill and it is in the family room.  If I am going to watch TV I try to walk at the same time.  It is not the cold that pushes me to the treadmill it is the time.  I normally run/walk alone.  I will not do that in the dark alone.  So during the work week I use the treadmill and on the weekends or if I am not working during the daylight hours I run outside.

I would not buy a new treadmill though.  I would check craigs list or yahoo group trash to treasure or free cycle.  A lot of people will let them go pretty cheap just to get them out of their houses. 

Leslie
Best Answer
Yes ... Way more than not buy treads and don't use and will sell cheap, IMOP you need to buy an
Expensive one either, bought the one I use at walmart for less than 200 bucks 2 years and and have ran well over 500 miles on it with no issues
Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband and I purchased a treadmill in 2009 and we both use it almost every day and put over 40 miles on it each week.  As long as you have the desire and motivation to use it, and do the regular recommended maintenance on it, it should run for years.  We've never had a problem with ours and it's one of the best purchases we've made.  We purchased on that was on clearance at a sporting goods store for 1/2 price.

Best Answer

Dominique- Nothing wrong with walking outdoors but there are also valid reasons to own a treadmill.  Summers here are 5 months of over 100 degrees, nearly 24 hours.  No 'proper gear' for that.  On a treadmill, I can do incline walking or walk safely at 2am if I choose to.  On a treadmill, I can set my laptop on it and work for hours at a walk.  On a treadmill you can walk without leaving kids home unattended (or dragging them along).  I can also abort my walk and be back at my desk in 5 seconds, if duty calls.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

One I had one I used it daily. I loved it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB wrote:

One I had one I used it daily. I loved it

May I ask why you had to stop using it, then?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree - outdoors is more motivating for me: changing terrain, fresh air.  As long as I'm properly dressed the weather isn't an issue.  I think a treadmill would become a clothes hanger in my place.

*** fitbit one ~ 45 lbs. to go ***
@River61_NYC on Twitter
Best Answer

Outdoors is great for running - if you have a nice climate. Here in N Wales its raining a lot of the time and I'm not so hardcore that I go and run in the reain, especially if its dark and cold too. Also some weeks I have to be available on the phone so not practical to run outdoors. I bought a treadmill 2 years ago and wore out 2 decks on it. Some weeks 30 - 40 miles. I made an area in my garage for it. To stay motivated I installed a TV and a HiFi on a shelf right in front of the mill so easy to access while running. Also fitted a fan which (even in a cold climate) is neccessary when running. I just sold my old one and bought a new reebok ZR10 which arrives friday!

Best Answer

@River61_NYChere is a quote you'll probably like. 

I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

Best Answer
0 Votes