Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a good exercise for people with arthritic knees?

I am searching (still) for exercise that is "knee" friendly. I have arthritis that some days, makes walking difficult. The pain is worst AFTER exercise. Swimming did not work... ideas?
Thanks!
Woman Happy

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Have you asked your doctor or a physical therapist what would be best for you? I thought swimming, or at least water aerobics was supposed to be good for arthritis.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer
0 Votes
Cycling is fairly gentle on the joints -- but if swimming hurt then riding a bike might also cause pain. Best discussing it with a rheumatologist familiar with your case.
Best Answer

Easy walking with breaks and ice after. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tai Chi.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I used to think swimming would be good for knees as it is not weight bearing, but when I lived with a torn meniscus for about a year I found breast stroke very difficult due to the explosive sort of leg movement. Some days a patter kick was fine and some days it hurt. I know arthritis is different, but I can definitely see how swimming might upset your knees. Id suggest cycling, preferably on a stationary bike (at least at first) so you are in control of the intensity and speed. Although you are moving your knees repeatedly you can set the range you go through by adjusting the seat height and distance from the handlebars. Also it is not weightbearing and you reduce the load to very little. Worth trying a stationary bike I think.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I went to Aqua Physical Therapy and found that swimming is not the answer, but the pool is. There are exercises you can do in the pool to strengthen the muscles around your knees. http://www.moveforwardpt.com/Resources/Detail/top-10-exercises-to-do-in-pool

Give these a try. Modify them at will. I believe you may find they work for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i i also suffer with my joints esp knees and back, physio therapist told me to tread water, and just try and walk the pool as it easier on joints than actual walking, also chair exercises trying to lift leg from knee gently only a few times and do a slow squat using wall as support and dont go down too far...I have also been told that if your posture is right on exercise bike it can help strengthen the muscles around the knee giving further support. But totally get how hard it is; Im struggling too at mo. good luck x

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have arthritic.  I do Tai Chi daily.  It is a miracle worker for arthritic. Get Tai Chi for Rehabilitation by Dr Lam for sale online.  easy to learn.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an unhappy knee at times.  The best exercise for me that works is the recumbent bike.  It take the pressure of my back and knees. Plus, when I’m cycling my hips and knees are in alignment which for me makes all the difference. I still am at the gym doing weights and using the machines but stopped those involving my knees and it’s made a world of difference.  Physio has also been a great help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
a recumbent bike was hard on my joints . . . 
Best Answer
0 Votes