Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is walking in place still as good as walking forward>?

ANSWERED

My neighborhood is not the best so I walk in place , It is able to make me sore , but am I going to lose weight doing it ?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I get over 10,000 steps everyday and NEVER walk outside except on weekends. 

I don't walk in place, I actually just walk around through my livingroom and kitchen. If I feel like watching a show, I just walk forward and backward right in front of the TV. I add some jogging back and forth in that too. 

But, if you like walking in place, then do that. I hated it, I prefer to actually move forward or backward while walking.. lol 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

@minionsink

You might burn slightly less calories as you do not put in the effort to push yourself forward. However, you are active and exercising so that is better than doing nothing or being unsafe. In order to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn. So the best thing to do is to log what you eat and create a calories deficit. In that way you can always lose weight, no matter how active you are or healthy you eat. As long as you eat less calories than you burn. There are ofcourse big advantages to being active and exercising as well as eating healthy. But your weight is only 1 measure of how healthy you are.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Yes, use something like Walk Away the Pounds, there are free videos on youtube.  I did it before I was comfortable walking outside. As long as you work up a sweat it is good!  In the meanwhile, you might look for close places that feel safer outside because it is such a nice time of year to be outside.  Maybe see if friends can join you.

Best Answer

I get over 10,000 steps everyday and NEVER walk outside except on weekends. 

I don't walk in place, I actually just walk around through my livingroom and kitchen. If I feel like watching a show, I just walk forward and backward right in front of the TV. I add some jogging back and forth in that too. 

But, if you like walking in place, then do that. I hated it, I prefer to actually move forward or backward while walking.. lol 

Best Answer

Walking in place can definitely get you some active minutes. If you feel like making it a little more difficult, raising each knee to waist height will burn even more calories.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Because of my illness, I can not go out by myself, basically my memory is knackered

I jog on the spot whilst watching tv

as mentioned, you could raise your knee higher or tie weights to your ankles/wrists or hold weights

Best Answer

I do walking videos five mornings a week before work. I can get around 3,000 steps and 20-30 active minutes doing that.

Is it possible for you to drive/ride transit to a place where you can go walking? Or go walking with someone else?

As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

Best Answer

I haven't tried it with my fitbit on (had it only 3 days) but I really enjoy Leslie Sansone's Walk Fit DVDs. I have lost weight and felt great using her DVDs. They are inexpensive. They are upbeat, the moves are not tricky. She encourages you to do what you can do and not over-exert/hurt yourself so you will want to come back. The sessions are 10-30 minutes. You pick what you have time to do. My kids love to exercise to the DVDs with me. I can do it all in my small living room. I can't wait to see how it works with my fitbit!

Best Answer

PS I had a short "love-affair" with running and am not that excited to go back to running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even better, you can access Leslie Sansone's videos on YouTube. She has everything from two-minute miniwalks (for a quick midday break) to 45-minute three-milers (which I haven't done yet). That said, if I'm going to go for a longer distance, I'd rather not be doing it in front of my computer.

Best Answer
I wish I could YouTube! It burns up internet. I live where there are more
livestock then people and no one seems interested in bringing affordable
internet to our area. I wish I could though. I've gone to the library and
seen some fun drumming exercises on balance balls! I would love to
subscribe to Holy Yoga TV! Anybody know how to save YouTube videos to a
laptop hard drive?
Best Answer
0 Votes

You may like using a mini stepper. Or if you have room a cross trainer. Even a static bike would work. That way you could push yourself more. Good luck with the weight loss.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have almost ful memorieloss too 

Can i ask you how you deal with it or if you got any memories back with something because i dont know how i could go on with life if i cant be independent because thats what i would love to acieve

Its okay if you dont feel that comfortable repliing 🌺

Best Answer
0 Votes