Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is wearing your Fitbit Charge on you ankle fair?

ANSWERED

I have recently started wearing my FitBit Charge 2 on my ankle and have noticed a significant increase in the number of steps recorded. Does anyone else do this. My husband says I'm cheating but I feel like I'm getting a more accurate count of steps. I'm 5'3", so have a shorter stride than he does which, to me, translates into more steps that are being accurately counted. I did have to buy a larger band so the instrument would fit on my ankle.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

@Corney, you'll get no disagreement from me.  Some of the best conditioning I've ever been in was when I was doing triathlons back in the 1990s.  Then "family" happened and that was the end of that.

Now I do the "duothon" thing in that I take care of a bunch of horses and I run.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the Charge HR because I needed to track my sleep and HR, not just my steps. At the time I was working 3rd shift and trying to make sure I got enough rest every day was hard. The Charge made this very easy to do. I would have never spent the extra money if all I wanted was step counts. I have a free app on my phone for that and you can find tiny clip on pedometers for real cheap most anywhere. On my ankle I would lose the 2 features that got me to buy the charge in the first place. I have tiny wrists and hands. I wanted something small. Charge is not small and fits very odd on my wrist. Very uncomfortable really. I can easily slide my pointer finger under my band on the side with no effort.

Best Answer
Shipo: Thanks for your support, I was ready for numerous negative replies
concerning my theory of specificity concerning the need to do various types
of aerobic exercise to truly become fit. But I'm still waiting.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:
Shipo: Thanks for your support, I was ready for numerous negative replies
concerning my theory of specificity concerning the need to do various types
of aerobic exercise to truly become fit. But I'm still waiting.

I didn't actually see that as the point of your previous post. You were saying that someone couldn't perform your spin workout (which you neglected to post what it was) without specific spin training. Is that correct?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
No I was suggesting that people that just walk or run or do any one type of
training would have difficulty switching to a new exercise even though they
have good aerobic capacity, because there is very little carry over to a
new type of exercise. Muscles used in one activity are specifically
trained to do that activity, muscles used for running would have
difficulty when used for rowing, especially rowing because not only do you
use your legs you use your arms and core muscles. I know when I first got
on my rower, it kicked my butt and my abs screamed for 3 days. The same
was true when I first used my Nordic track and exercise bike. It took some
time for my muscles to be retrained for that specific activity even though
I had run for over 25 years, aerobically I was fine, but my muscles were
not trained to be used in a different manner.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Corney for the explanation. We talk about that in strength training-- how work on a leg press or leg extension machine doesn't really prepare a person that well for doing full barbell squats, even though it uses similar musculature. I hadn't thought to apply that idea to cardio work. Coach Rip says, if you want to get better at the squat, you need to squat." Same idea, right?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
I wouldn't recommend full barbell squats because during a full squat all
four ligaments that give the knee dynamic support( ACL, PCL and both
collateral ligaments) are lax and no longer can give your knees the
required support they need. I would only do half squats. Saying that
you'er probably going to do what you're going to do, so be careful.
Best Answer
0 Votes

WaveyDavey:  I just had a memory pop into my head.  Over 50 years ago in Jr. high and High school the P.E. instructor used to make us Duck walk laps in the gym.  I shudder at the thought today, hopefully P.E. instructors and coaches have increased their knowledge about anatomy and no longer require their students and players to perform that inane senseless activity!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ordered my fitbit online that my Alta slips into with a snap closure!! Love it!!

Ordered band that my Alta slips into. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got an ankle strap for my versa off of Amazon. now the only thing I can say your heart rate won't be as accurate but from doing test walks and comparing between my wrist and my ankle it's really only about a 13 beat difference on average.

Best Answer
Thanks! Works great for me too.
--
Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character;
and it may be confidently asserted that one who is cruel to animals cannot
be a good person. Schopenhauer, edited.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Moonauthor: I found just the opposite. Wearing the Fitbit on my ankle
gave me a more reliable heart rate while on my elliptical and stationary
bike.
Best Answer

Heart rate has almost no relation to calorie burn. It's all just guesses.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Spoiler
This is an old post but I use the large flex 2 band on my ankle. 
Best Answer

I just purchased a Fitbit Versa 2 only to realize it won’t count steps with a walker. I was wondering if I could tie the watch through laces when I go for a walk. 

Best Answer

Hi, @Mimitopia , you could certainly do that , and the Versa 2 would probably give you a really good idea of your step count.  But maybe this might not be the best Fitbit for you?

if you want to use your Versa 2, I would recommend attaching it to you ankle or foot and tryng it out with your walker.  If it doesn’t seem to count your steps, please post again and someone will be here to help.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I actually thought of doing it too as it made more sense to me. But was worried it could damage the watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is indeed a risk but I've worn my FB on my ankle for several years now
with no damage. I just have to remember to take it off when I bathe/shower,
as you would with wearing it anywhere. It makes such a difference in
tracking accuracy.

--
Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character;
and it may be confidently asserted that one who is cruel to animals cannot
be a good person. Schopenhauer, edited.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, you can buy extenders on Amazon for each of the Fitbit models.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get much more accurate steps and heart rate when I spin by wearing it on my ankle. I wear my charge 5 on my ankle when I spin, or do any exercises that my arms don't move much. Like I do resistance strength training in a swimming pool. A lot of that is all lower body exercises in shallow end. If I just put it on swim I don't get credit for my steps. I move it back to my wrist when I do laps. If I put it on water lock I do have to manually enter the exercise from pool. Not sure which ankle I'm supposed to wear it on.

Best Answer
0 Votes