Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jog Intervals In my Power Walks

A couple months ago I started adding jog intervals into my power walks, because I was having trouble getting my heart rate up just power walking.

At first I could only jog for about 30 seconds at a very slow pace, so I started with a 30 second jog/2 minute power walk interval. I gradually worked up to a 2 minute jog/2 minute power walk interval.

Lately I have become more comfortable with the jogging part. I went to a very hilly park today and did a 7+ mile jog/walk. I jogged on the flat/down hill parts and walked on the up hill parts. There is one flat part that is almost three quarters of a mile, and I was able to jog that whole part pretty easy.

here is a link to the session if you want to look at the stats and tell my what you think...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1323734609

Keep in mind that I'm 59 years old and only at what I consider to be a "fair" fitness level. I was told that I have COPD a couple years ago, and they gave me all these inhalers (which I never used), but if you look at my heart rate in the stats you can see that I kept my heart rate well in the cardio zone the whole time, and my breathing was fine.

One of my goals is to be able to jog for an hour non stop and I think I can do it.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Nice run/walk. It fits your style of exercise well. The street names are interesting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good for you! I try to jog, but I'd much rather walk. I have read that intervals are very good to do. Thanks for the link!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese Good job! Especially with the high temperatures and hills. You may find it interesting that "ultra runners" frequently use the same method of running the downhills and flats, and walking the uphills during long ultra races.

You are probably much closer to being able to jog for an hour now than you think. In addition to some other shorter runs, I jog for about two hours twice a week. Sometimes I'll take a few 20-60 second walk breaks, and other times I won't - depends on the temperature, humidity, and distance. I control my heartrate by slowing or speeding up - it will range anywhere from under 110 to the 140's. So, if I want to keep my HR higher or lower, and also want to jog for an hour or more, I can easily do it.

If you are interested in running, google "Jeff Galloway run/walk" plans for information very similar to what you ae doing now. Get your doctor's OK, now that you are doing more than walking - I'm almost eleven years older than you are, was diagnosed with AFib a couple of years ago, but got the OK to run since my meds control it.

Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@brerbill wrote:

@bcalvanese Good job! Especially with the high temperatures and hills. You may find it interesting that "ultra runners" frequently use the same method of running the downhills and flats, and walking the uphills during long ultra races.

You are probably much closer to being able to jog for an hour now than you think. In addition to some other shorter runs, I jog for about two hours twice a week. Sometimes I'll take a few 20-60 second walk breaks, and other times I won't - depends on the temperature, humidity, and distance. I control my heartrate by slowing or speeding up - it will range anywhere from under 110 to the 140's. So, if I want to keep my HR higher or lower, and also want to jog for an hour or more, I can easily do it.

If you are interested in running, google "Jeff Galloway run/walk" plans for information very similar to what you ae doing now. Get your doctor's OK, now that you are doing more than walking - I'm almost eleven years older than you are, was diagnosed with AFib a couple of years ago, but got the OK to run since my meds control it.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice.

My doctor is fine with it, and he calls me his success story.

A little over a year ago I was obese, at a very poor fitness level, and my blood work was always messed up.

now I am at (what I consider) a fair fitness level, am within 5 lbs. of being in the top of my healthy weight range, and all my blood work is normal now. My resting heart rate has gone from the high 80's to the low 60's.

I don't think I'll have much trouble working up to jogging for an hour, but I'm taking it slow and steady. When I first started, I hurt my knee and pulled both groin muscles. I am now developing a good running style which is a heeal touch and midfoot strike.

I was a fitness instructor when I was in the army back in the 80's, so I do have a basic knowledge of what i need to do, and I do watch YouTube videos on different ways to run.

Never too old to learn, and thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes