Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jogger beginner - need some advice!

Hi everybody!

I've been using a Fitbit for a few years, mostly for walking and some workout in the gym, but now I've decided to take up some jogging but I need some advice. I apologize in advance if the post is a bit long, but I need to explain a couple of things LOL

This is not my first time actually. I tried it a few years ago - just before starting using my first Charge HR, but failed miserably.

Back then, I tried C25K. I did great the first few weeks, got to the 20 min run, did it but then started having problems and ditched the program shortly after.

Since then, I've lost wheight (a bit more than 30 pounds and I'm normal wheight, even if towards the higher value of the range), began eating better and became more fit. I walk 45-60 mins every day.

My questions.

1) I gave jogging a try a few weeks ago, to see how fit (or unfit) I was and decide how to plan it. I saw I can "run" without stopping for 6/7 mins. I'm not sure about C25K - didn't work the first time.

PLAN A running 5 mins three times a week for a week. Then add a minute every week.

PLAN B running 4 mins - walk 2 - run 4 mins. When I'm comfrotable with this, add a minute.

Would any of this work? If so, which one? (I'm trying plan B because a friend of mine mentioned the importance of adding a walking interval in the middle for heart conditioning. Is she right?)

2) Heart rate. My resting heart rate is not wonderful - ranges between 64 to 72 depending on stress,  the period of the month, how I have been eating and if I've been drinking alcohol or not. Today, towards the end of my second jogging interval it went up to 172. Is it too high? Should I worry? (I'm very good at worrying.) I know about the slowing down advice - I swear I was going slow. Any slower and I'd go backwards LOL Is there a way to know when it's too much? (I'm female, 28). I don't want to give myself a heart attack!!

Thanks for your help (and for taking the time to read through all of this - I'm not very good at summing up)

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Here are a few links that seem to me to be common sense and present a balanced perspective to tranitioning from walking to jogging (running).

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/born-to-run-walk#1

http://www.runningstrong.com/transition.html

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20844757/how-do-i-move-from-walking-to-running/

Best Answer

Thanks for the reference links.

Best Answer

The highest you should get is around 188 while running on your heart rate. This website maybe beneficial for you 🙂

https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

Best Answer
0 Votes

hey there @moooni - you are not going to give yourself a heart attack. You will be just fine. I don't know the proper way to start running, for me, I just started. we were in OC MD and I decided it was taking too long to get my morning steps in. I decided I was going to run three blocks and see what happens. I ran and ran and ran. I didn't worry about speed or distance, I just did what felt right in the moment. I kept running after that trip and it has been over 4 years now. I run 7 miles in an hour. The start and stop you mention is more a HIIT workout than straight running. Not bad, not good, just different. I think most "runners" are steady state cardio folks. We either go distance or time. I would pick one and work on that. When you feel like you got it, either extend the goal or set a new one. pick a distance you want to run for a week- let's say a half mile. doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you keep moving. At the end of the week, take your best time and set a goal of reducing it by a minute. Then go for 3/4 of a mile- you get the idea... let us know how it goes... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Good morning!

I have found progression training that has walk/run intervals the most helpful to me. I don't remember the website that it is originally from but my personal training clients have had great progress with the following program. It is set up for you to run three times a week. I don't have the link anymore but here is the setup:

Spoiler
Week One: 30 Minutes Each
  • Jog one minute, walk four minutes. Repeat six times.
Week Two: 30 Minutes Each
  • Jog two minutes, walk four minutes. Repeat six times.
Week Three: 30 Minutes Each
  • Jog three minutes, walk two minutes. Repeat six times.
Week Four: 30 Minutes Each
  • Jog five minutes, walk four minutes. Repeat four times.
Week Five: 40 Minutes Each
  • Jog six minutes, walk four minutes. Repeat four times.
Week Six: 40 Minutes Each
  • Jog seven minutes, walk three minutes. Repeat four times.
Week Seven: 40 Minutes Each
  • Jog eight minutes, walk two minutes. Repeat four times.
Week Eight: 45 Minutes Each
  • Jog one twelve minutes, walk three minutes. Repeat three times.
Week Nine: 45 Minutes Each
  • Jog thirteen minutes, walk two minutes. Repeat three times.
Week Ten: 45 Minutes Each
  • Jog fourteen minutes, walk one minutes. Repeat three times.
Week Eleven: 60 Minutes Each
  • Jog seventeen minutes, walk three minutes. Repeat three times.
Week Twelve: 60 Minutes Each
  • Jog nineteen minutes, walk one minutes. Repeat three times.
Week Thirteen: 60 Minutes Each
  • Jog sixty minutes. Congratulations!

Hope this helps! Happy running!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's a real world record keeping of jog/runs for the past days/weeks I've done.

Capture.JPG

Best Answer

You seem to have gotten great advice here.  Just listen to your body.  That is my main tip I give to people.  I would look for a running group in your area.  Go to a running store they might be able to help you out as well.  

Hope everything works our for you and you are already running. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Progressing to running from walking is really simple. just run...don't worry about how far, how fast or how slow, just run or jog or walk fast as long as it "feels" right, then walk some more. Over time you'll be able to run longer, faster and walk less. In about 3 months times, I am now able to run "comfortably" for 60 minutes as a decent pace. 

I don't find that running plans work for me, I just listen my body and do what feels right, and enjoy what our body can do without pushing ourselves too hard or not hard enough.

Once you are adapted to running, you could follow a training plan much more easily, or not...just keep running until it no longer feels good, then stop and walk. Walk a lot, Run a little...eventually your body adapts and you can run a lot and walk a little or not at all...

Wishing you much success 🙂

Best Answer

I think you should start at a very slow pace and run for longer. Even if your heart and lungs feel like you can go faster. It takes your joints/tendons/bones/etc... much longer to develop than your heart and lungs. So if you try to go fast too soon, you run the risk of joint injuries.

Once you can run 6 to 8 miles at a very slow pace, then you should start working on your pace.

It's better to build your base aerobic fitness level first, and slow running will do that, and in addition, give your joints a long enough time to develop.

Best Answer

@bcalvanese absolutely! Great advice...our cardio system seems to develop much quicker than our bones and tendons can. So take this advice very seriously, go slow, and progress slowly. 🙂

I hurt my foot and am now having to wait until it's healed (I think I hurt my foot by carrying a heavy pack (backpacking trip), I felt totally fine cardio wise, but my bones and tendons were not ready for this strain. It really sucks being forced to slow down by an injury...

Best Answer