Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking add post walk exercise

Hello,

I walk a brisk 3.1 miles, almost daily.  Typically my pace is 14:10 per mile to really get my heart pumping.  I've been adding more steps to increase my overall active minutes but this does not feel like enough.  Can someone recommend some exercise for after my walk?  I'd like to keep the heart rate up and work my core more than walking does.  

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Neddy_P -- start looking for stairs, hills, and trails to add to your walks. Look for new places for your walks to keep it fun and interesting. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Great suggestion. I love in the country and our property has hills. We have made trails through what we call our wildlife area. Really helpful getting and keeping my head rate up, especially now that it's cold and I have more clothes on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Neddy_P if you can brisk walk maybe you can switch to jog? Eventually, jog into run. That's quite natural progression. Don't worry too much about active minutes or steps (this will kick in on its own while you start extending distances and increase intensity etc.). If what you do doesn't feel enough than you need to step up and add intensity and/or duration. There are many ways to spice things up. Depends on your shape and abilities (you didn't give any details) you may do your regular 3.1mi brisk walk and at the end just 1 minute all-out effort (then it won't feel like it's not enough and all-out effort). About core, exercise it with various planks, pushups, leg raises etc. Those exercises may not bring your HR very high. What matters here is time-under-tension (planks are one big TUT exercises). For walking (and if you decide to jog and maybe run), invest time into exercising your hips (weak hips, weak knees, bad form). You don't need a complex program and fancy exercises, just do basics because basics, usually, is what works best.

Best Answer