Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for resources and programmes for older people - for example post retirement age

Fitbit focuses on (to me) younger people.

I'm looking for resources,  programmes  and discussion groups (not individual exercises) for people of retirement age - or perhaps older than that.

I've searched on this application (App) and found very little to encourage older people. There's masses of  stuff to challenge and encourage younger folk.  And believe me - older people like me need to 'get moving' 

Have I missed something?

Exercise as if your life depends on it. Because it does.
Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hello @OldFellrunner 

I do not use them much but I think some of the premium training programs can be done by people of all ages: the pilates ones, I saw one Low impact HIIT, another one is for balance. However I agree I saw none specifically targeting and designed for people of old age.

Best Answer

Exactly Seb. There aren't any  for us older people.

You are correct, some people - probably those who have managed to grow older with few or no injuries - might (stress might)  be able to follow  a premium training program. 

I'm beginning to think that there is a big gap in the market

Best Answer

Hi @OldFellrunner This is something I have also thought about, being of the older persuasion myself! I am really quite fit and active for my age, but when I tried to do Fitbit workouts there were always several exercises I couldn't do. It would be hard to target someone like me though as each of us older people have different weak spots (for me right shoulder and any jumping exercises)

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

You are quite right, there are very few resources for older people on the site, we just have to make our own, or adapt what is available to suit our needs.  I have found one group, under "get moving", called (this month) "NOtable NOvember Step Challenge and Scavenger Hunt".  It is rather flexible and there are a lot of responses on it.  I try to join in as much as I can, but due to my personal situation, I am rather limited in my ability to do so.  However, I do try, and it is a lot of fun - especially the photos the participants are encouraged to take!

Kayne

Best Answer

@kaynelvb Yes I also do that one. It is great because you set your own goals and you don't have to meet anyone else's standards. I've been doing it for a couple of years now

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I agree, we have weak spots. We all have them - and all had them. In that respect, older people like us are just the same as we were when fit and healthy. 

What I'm after is some properly researched and validated fitness program for older folk. Looks like I need to do more looking. If I find it, I'll post it here.

I think - for the first time - I've  bumped into elder invisibility: only ever read about it before. Its different when you experience it. 

The sector is missing a trick, I think. The 'grey dollar / pound/ euro/ '...' currency ' is increasing. And fitter older people save our health systems money. 

So, it's Head - Down - Arse Up - Go,  again.  Anyone feel like helping me research the issue? Please?

Best Answer

If I knew where to start, I would jump on this, but I've been trying to find something for a number of years now, and I am completely stumped.  There is just nothing much out there.  However, if I do find something, I will let everyone know!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Kay. I wonder if this (below) might be a help - I'm not sure if you are in the UK (as I am) but here's an App which has the backing of our National Health System.

Its not focused on older people, but it might be a start?

(Slightly concerned that this links to a commercial organisation )

Best Answer

I see a Fitbit as simply collecting some details about what we're doing, but we have the symptoms, the pain, and happiness after a day of doing things and not limping.  I try and do the recommended 10,000 steps a day and 250+ an hour - so basically I'm just trying to keep active which is helping me stay fit and healthy.  The rest of the Fitbit challenges and activity programs might be entertaining but they don't know how us old folks feel so they are not "cures" for our problems although they might help some of us - I just try and stay active, working at whatever seems to help me ... for instance I walk a lot for exercise but I have some back pain too and getting on a rowing machine to do a little light rowing helps my back feel better. 

So basically I'd recommend just trying things and adjusting your actions based on how you are feeling about everything you are doing.

Best Answer

I glanced at the site this morning, but I will definitely explore it a bit more.  I think there may be some possibilities here.  There were a couple of aspects that I will positively be looking at, and I will keep you posted.  Between the two of us, we may be able to work some kind of exercise program out.

I am in the US, New Hampshire to be exact, way up north near the Canadian border.    Today is our Thanksgiving, so I will celebrate the holiday, as most women do over here, cooking just about all day long.  The traditional meat is turkey, but I don't like it and refuse to eat it, it is just too dry, so we are having lamb.  I was raised in Australia, I grew up eating lamb, and I love it, and since it is rather hard to find here, it makes for a nice change.  My husband likes turkey, but since I don't eat it, and it is just the two of us, one bird would last us for a year or so, and we don't have enough fridge or freezer space to store it for that long.  So, lamb it will be for us, and I am really looking forward to it.  I will ignore what the entire meal will do to my calorie count for the day!

Kayne

Best Answer

I shoot for a minimum of 10K steps per day, too.  I both my hips replaced in 2016, and I want to make sure they stay mobile!  I am also recovering from a severe case of Covid, in February of last year, so I am a long hauler.  But it has totally messed with my breathing and ruined my physical strength.  I was intubated for about 5 days, and I think that may have caused most of the breathing problems.  Of course, two pulmonary blood clots, and pneumonia didn't exactly help, either!  

So, I concentrate on walking, and working out with my trainer, just to rebuild my strength, which is doing rather well, to be honest.  I can't complain about that, anymore.  It's just the breathing that is worrisome, it does not seem to be improving at all.  At my age (78), I think I will have a problem with it for the rest of my life.  I think it was just too much for my lungs to take and recover from.

I do what I can, when I can, and if that is not enough, I will just have to live with it, but I will still keep looking for new ways to keep fit.  One never knows what is out there!

Kayne

Best Answer

@kaynelvb wrote:

...  It's just the breathing that is worrisome, it does not seem to be improving at all.  ...

There: exactly that's the sort  of issue  for which older, active people  need advice. Kayne isn't the only person who has this problem: I bet there are many thousands who are grappling with it too. But the advice needs to be authoritative: thats the key.

I dunno about you all, but I haven't got time to exercise 'badly' or inefficiently. I'm trying to build our house (from scratch) so I haven't got that much spare time

Best Answer