Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to join a gym. What is your recommendation and why?

ANSWERED

I am looking to join a gym to get away from my home treadmill and mall walking. I am looking for a gym that is not to expensive but does offer the support and help when needed of a personal trainer. Right now I just hate stepping any foot into any gym due to the high pressure sales jobs many of these guys give you.

Last time I wanted to join a gym was several years ago. The salesperson told me that it is about time for me to do something. He thought I was significantly overweight, I would need to lose at least 15 pounds…..at that time I actually was 15 pounds underweight and my doctor told me I need to add weight and not loose anymore.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

I like 24 hour fitness as Im an early bird and they are always open

Just dont let them pressure you. Just state you want the basic package.  They do have a 1 time  free trainer session that will show you how to use the machines. But you need to ask.

Coruse they will pressure you to sign up after wards but just stick to your ground and tell them no.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Don't push yourself, work up gradually from lighter weights to heavier weights over time and increasing intensity..

Allow to have recovery days in between training, when feeling pain during exercise even when just doing the exercise, give your body the chance to rest until feeling better to go back to exercising.

When possible it's possible to stay a bit active while recovering by for example walking but taking it easy.

Resting gives the chance for your muscles to repair from exercise so they grow stronger.

Not allowing to rest can lead to longer term injury, since overtraining and your muscles wouldn't get the time to recover..

Don't push yourself, listen to your body when it's needing rest.. 

Enjoy

Kitten

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi bettina

i belong to blink its 15 per month bare bones. but gets the job done,there are no classes but you can join a group for 6 weeks they have for $100.00 you go twice a week and get  personel training with 5 other people it really does work.

baci

Best Answer
0 Votes

I belong to Planet Fitness because it's cheap BUT wouldn't recommend it if you want some help.  I joined specifically because I wanted to be left alone and didn't want to spend money on things I wouldn't use.

I used to belong to 24 Hour Fitness, and I really did like it.  There were people there to help you if you needed it, and enough amenities that it meant showing up wasn't a chore.

Two things you need to think about - what equipment they have that you need and whether you can actually have access to what they have.

So you need to figure out just what you're going need (free weights, machines, pool, treadmill, running track) and not just right now, either.  Think about what you would need if you kicked it up just a little.  Would the equipment still be a good fit?  Are there gyms that have everything you need without the extras you don't, and for a lower price?

And how much traffic is there?  Go to your prospective gym during the time of day you'd be most likely to use it.  Can you actually get on a treadmill?  Are the hours something that fit with your schedule?  What hours do their trainers work, and how much extra do you have to pay for their help?

One of our local gyms is really awesome.  Seriously, it's everything an athlete could ever want - except there are literally no parking spaces at all whenever I drive past.   Not one.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57

Best Answer

Hi there, 

Do you have a YMCA in your town?  I'm a member of our local Y and they have all kinds of great programs and support for the price!

Best Answer

I am a member at Anytime Fitness.  They are 24 hours (all of them) and after 1 month of being a member you can use any gym, anywhere in the country. It's pretty inexpensive as gyms go...only about $30/month and it has everything  you would need.  All of them are staffed during normal business hours, with personal trainers and on site staff to help if you need it.  

You can easily find a time to go in where it isn't crowded.  At first I was hesitant to workout late at night or early in the morning when no one was there...but no one bothers you, there is never a wait for machines and it's quiet and peaceful.  

I travel for work and I can always find an Anytime Fitness somewhere close by to the hotel I am staying at.  That makes it worth the investment anyday!

Best Answer

I do LA Fitness. I think the most important thiing is, will you go regularly? I like LA Fitness because of its location. It's not too far from my house, so I don't feel like I have to trek across town to go there. I also like that it's not that crowded and there's a personal trainer if I want one. There is also a pool, and  a bunch of classes, including water aerobics. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't know what your age group is but if you are 65 or older check with your health insurance company to see if they participate in the Silver Sneakers program.  My husband and I belong to a Gold's Gym and it is completely free to us.  The gym bills the insurance company directly.  All we have to do is show up!  This program can be used at multiple locations not just gyms.  For example,  it also pays for my local rec center dues so I can use the pool and take classes.  

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

I like 24 hour fitness as Im an early bird and they are always open

Just dont let them pressure you. Just state you want the basic package.  They do have a 1 time  free trainer session that will show you how to use the machines. But you need to ask.

Coruse they will pressure you to sign up after wards but just stick to your ground and tell them no.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Don't push yourself, work up gradually from lighter weights to heavier weights over time and increasing intensity..

Allow to have recovery days in between training, when feeling pain during exercise even when just doing the exercise, give your body the chance to rest until feeling better to go back to exercising.

When possible it's possible to stay a bit active while recovering by for example walking but taking it easy.

Resting gives the chance for your muscles to repair from exercise so they grow stronger.

Not allowing to rest can lead to longer term injury, since overtraining and your muscles wouldn't get the time to recover..

Don't push yourself, listen to your body when it's needing rest.. 

Enjoy

Kitten

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi bettina

i belong to blink its 15 per month bare bones. but gets the job done,there are no classes but you can join a group for 6 weeks they have for $100.00 you go twice a week and get  personel training with 5 other people it really does work.

baci

Best Answer
0 Votes

I belong to Planet Fitness because it's cheap BUT wouldn't recommend it if you want some help.  I joined specifically because I wanted to be left alone and didn't want to spend money on things I wouldn't use.

I used to belong to 24 Hour Fitness, and I really did like it.  There were people there to help you if you needed it, and enough amenities that it meant showing up wasn't a chore.

Two things you need to think about - what equipment they have that you need and whether you can actually have access to what they have.

So you need to figure out just what you're going need (free weights, machines, pool, treadmill, running track) and not just right now, either.  Think about what you would need if you kicked it up just a little.  Would the equipment still be a good fit?  Are there gyms that have everything you need without the extras you don't, and for a lower price?

And how much traffic is there?  Go to your prospective gym during the time of day you'd be most likely to use it.  Can you actually get on a treadmill?  Are the hours something that fit with your schedule?  What hours do their trainers work, and how much extra do you have to pay for their help?

One of our local gyms is really awesome.  Seriously, it's everything an athlete could ever want - except there are literally no parking spaces at all whenever I drive past.   Not one.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

Hi there, 

Do you have a YMCA in your town?  I'm a member of our local Y and they have all kinds of great programs and support for the price!

Best Answer

I am a member at Anytime Fitness.  They are 24 hours (all of them) and after 1 month of being a member you can use any gym, anywhere in the country. It's pretty inexpensive as gyms go...only about $30/month and it has everything  you would need.  All of them are staffed during normal business hours, with personal trainers and on site staff to help if you need it.  

You can easily find a time to go in where it isn't crowded.  At first I was hesitant to workout late at night or early in the morning when no one was there...but no one bothers you, there is never a wait for machines and it's quiet and peaceful.  

I travel for work and I can always find an Anytime Fitness somewhere close by to the hotel I am staying at.  That makes it worth the investment anyday!

Best Answer

No we do not have a YMCA.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Raviv, thank you for the tips and Ideas

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mystique I will keep your advice in mind when I find the right fit for me.

Best Answer

I do LA Fitness. I think the most important thiing is, will you go regularly? I like LA Fitness because of its location. It's not too far from my house, so I don't feel like I have to trek across town to go there. I also like that it's not that crowded and there's a personal trainer if I want one. There is also a pool, and  a bunch of classes, including water aerobics. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't know what your age group is but if you are 65 or older check with your health insurance company to see if they participate in the Silver Sneakers program.  My husband and I belong to a Gold's Gym and it is completely free to us.  The gym bills the insurance company directly.  All we have to do is show up!  This program can be used at multiple locations not just gyms.  For example,  it also pays for my local rec center dues so I can use the pool and take classes.  

Best Answer

I am not in that age group, but you just gave me an idea. I might could get either my insurance company pay for the gym or receive my membership as a medical reimbursement thanks to my doctors orders that I do now HAVE to work out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unless you are rural there are several typical choices.  Twenty four hour is a choice however they are NOT as consistent as one would think.  For example, one location has NO trainer profiles in the lobby while another has ten biographical sketches.  Choose the latter because if the trainer enjoys employment there you will enjoy attendance because it is a sign of good management.  

A simiar example would be a hospital that has rehab facilites.  A good one will have an RN WITH an additional ACSM Health & Fitness Instructor designation.  So, among the questions of your own personal needs to ask I would enquire as to how many people they employ with ANY American College of Sports Medicine Credentials.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm a member of LA Fitness and very much enjoy it. It's around $20/ month I believe and I can go to any one in the country. I signed up online so the high pressure was out. I just sent and picked up my badge from the front desk person.
Best Answer

If your asking me about LA fitness I am not a fan of their operation.  However,  if their location will provide you what is called in the business as ADHERENCE then it is probably a good choice.  The time of day you attend might be important.  Cost is always a consideration.  In my view, a vital concept is to know exactly what you want to do and how your going to do it BEFORE you go.  You may have to read up on things, hire a trainer, or seek advice from advanced exercisers to help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not hearing good things about LA Fitness. I had the chance to speak to some of the trainers who now own their own gym or have moved to another company and from what I found out from them I don't think LA Fitness is for  me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm, I'm very interested in why folks are saying negative things about LA Fitness. I've been a member of Snap, 24 hour, Fitness 19, and a number of other places in addition to LA and I'm very happy with it. I've also been to a number of their locations (I travel a lot for business) and they typically have machines available and are relatively clean - not country club clean but good enough (and I'm a bit of a clean freak). I'm wondering if there's a better experience out there and I'm just missing it? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no issues with LA FItness either. I like that I can go to any one - the one near my house or the one near my work. There are usually machines available and the people are very nice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Planet Fitness has the cool initiative where it's labeling itself the judgement-free zone. For $10/month, it's affoadable, but does lack in some of the areas you might be interested in (mine doesn't have a pool, basketball court, sauna) where a place like 24 hour fitness might be useful. 

Then again, I'm so boring when it comes to activity. I run and lift weights. It's perfect for me!

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
0 Votes