Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate but not "in shape"?

ANSWERED

IMG_0762.PNG

Hi guys. A little background information on me so you all can have an idea. I'm 22 year old,female, I am overweight. I'm 5'4 weighing 178. I've lost weight from 196. 

My resting heart rate is always pretty low when laying down or sitting around? Into the 50's and as low as 44 during sleep:/ kind of scares me because I've read that isn't good unless you're an athlete. 

Im not an athlete nor do I really work out. It will increase with activity and go to 100 or more if running around but slows down pretty fast once resting. 

I've asked my dr and cardiologist they said ekgs came back good just showed some pvcs but that it's Okay for it to be low because I'm young with no other major help problems such as Bp or diabetes. 

Anyways I'm writing all this in hope of opinions or if anyone else experiences this. Would put my mind at ease. 

Thnaks guys. 

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

I can't help but see some similarities to my readings of late. I was worried to, which led me to this site. But agree with the previous poster, that it's 'nice' to see other Fitbit users with the same 'problems'. I'm 37 yr old male. 5'10"... 210 lbs. Not an athlete by any means. But I have started to exercise I litlle  more the last month and have seen a step decline. I'm going to take it as a good sign, and turn OFF the heart monitor on my watch face so I don't look at it every 30 seconds. Screenshot_20190515_223035_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190515_222953_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I am 22 and don’t do any sports, work in retail so pretty active when at work.

I have been reading many of the comments on this forum. I’m just wondering if your low heart rate has improved? 

Im worried as my RHR is usually 65-68. About 8 weeks ago I started experiencing heart palpitations & fluttery feelings. My pulse was high for weeks one day it was 166 at resting so I was rushed to hospital. They put it down to an infection and me being anxious. 

Since then I have seen the cardiologist who isn’t very concerned as ECG was normal. He has arranged an ekogram and 48 Hr monitor just to rule out anything. There is a 6-8 waiting list for these appointments.

But now my RHR has been between 45-55 for the past few days I’m worried as I have had a few dizzy spells. Not sure if to go back to my GP or just wait to hear about the appointments for the tests. 

Any advice would be great 

thanks 

jade 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've been to a different cardiologist. He told me my hr is fine. My echo
was good. He told me the hr can go as low as 30 and he's not worried. But
wait to see the test results.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

I’m glad you got a second opinion. I am just bad for googling and when I searched low heart rate it brings a lot up about bradycardia which has made me worry more and check HR on my watch every 10 mins or so. 

I think I’ll wait now for the tests to be completed and see what the outcome is. I’m glad the cardiologist told you it can go as low as 30, I don’t feel as anxious now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Are you basing this on your Fitbit ? Take it manually a few times to make sure the Fitbit is not glitched. Is it 45-55 when up and moving or at rest ? Anxiety can make you dizzy also ...
I have palpitations daily and my RHR over a month can be 54 to 64 I’m assuming depending on my hormones ?? I also had all the test done and all they found was I had skipped beats - benign .
To calm yourself you could see your GP but I don’t think they will do much ... anxiety can make you a mess so if no chest pain or any other symptoms like shortness of breath I would try to stay calm and wait for the testing .
The 133 bpm makes sense with infection and anxiety ...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was constantly checking my Fitbit so much so that I shut the monitor off.
I have anxiety so I think that's why I freaked out. I was constantly
googling and would put myself in such a panic. I would just wait for the
tests. And if anything you don't like see another doctor. I didn't like my
first cardiologist because he brushed me off. This second one explained
everything to me. Good luck! You'll be fine!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

I have took reading of fit bit, blood pressure machine and also manually. It’s low when resting, once I’m up it will go between 60-110 and just drop down again once resting as expected. 

That’s a good point about hormones I didn’t think about that. I have seen my GP but that was just as the infection was clearing and every time they check my pulse it seems high ( think that’s just due to feeling anxious going to the appointment) he was going to prescribe beta blockers but I have asthma so they decided to leave that for now. 

The palpitations and flutters have been there for around 2 months now. I’m hoping this low heart rate is just to hormones maybe. I just need to try and take my mind of it whilst waiting for the tests to be done.

im thinking if it was anything very serious that would of came up on the previous ECGS I’ve  around 3-4 done since end of April. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree, I think the fit bit just gets you in the mindset to panic doesn’t it. 

Think I will switch it off didn’t realise you could switch the heart reader off.

i will definitely make sure I’m happy after the tests to get reassurance. The cardiologist I seen a few weeks back was a stand in locum consultant so didn’t seem too interested. He was more concerned about why I had an ECG done in 2014, I had to explain that was part of a pre op examination.

Then as soon as they ask the question do you suffer from anxiety? They try and blame everything as a result of that. 

Thanks for you advice 

Best Answer
0 Votes
As long as your RHR is not in your boots when active I wouldn’t be alarmed ...
I’m assuming hormones as I’ve noticed a correlation each month where for about two weeks have have a higher than normal RHR and the other two weeks I’m so low. And I’ve noticed this for months ...
I can’t have my vital signs taken anywhere as they are always falsely elevated as well ... avoid the meds - I had a doctor try to do the same - in the end thankfully I said no and I never really needed them .
The halter will give a fantastic snapshot of what’s going on with your heart including the palpitations .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

PVCs are not to be taken lightly. Anything more than an occasional one warrants follow up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it should be followed up . I had 16000 in a 48 hour period .. the cardiologist said benign and told me not to be concerned as typically most people experience them . I deal with them as what else can I do ..

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Bradycardia.   Happened to me too.  I have Spodylitis (in case you have it too with AS).  See your doc.  They will to some test.  As long as you are asymptomatic, you're good.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Get a second opinion!
Best Answer
0 Votes
What is AS?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Probably aortic stenosis. Can be treated by balloon angioplasty. Very
detrimental to your overall health.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh ok .. no I don’t have that . I have had two holter monitors / EKG/ echo/stress test - ten years ago - no findings just 16000 PVC - cardiologist said it’s benign and to try not to dwell on it . Ten years later no change except the palpitations are directly linked to my left side of my neck shoulder blade area - if I’m out of alignment I get palpitations . I’ve given up trying to figure it out 😉

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
A second opinion wouldn’t hurt.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tysick  Like you, on my left side. Occasionally when I sleep on my left side it wakes me... The missing heart beat and then the rapid catchups..

All passed by my cardiologist.. Probably born with it was the answer..  Heart was cleared by Ultra sound echo cardiogram and for a person approaching 80 everything was normal size, valves functioning normally and no heart disease detected. All of my bloods are normal..

It's always a relief to be checked. So, I was passed by stress test as well.

@Tysick wrote:
Oh ok .. no I don’t have that . I have had two holter monitors / EKG/ echo/stress test - ten years ago - no findings just 16000 PVC - cardiologist said it’s benign and to try not to dwell on it . Ten years later no change except the palpitations are directly linked to my left side of my neck shoulder blade area - if I’m out of alignment I get palpitations . I’ve given up trying to figure it out 😉

Sent from my iPhone

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I was basing this on my Fit but and taking my pulse manually. I had the ecogram done a few weeks & just waiting for the monitor app to be rearranged. As they booked it for this Friday but I’m away for the weekend for a family wedding, they said it’s pointless having it if drinking and not doing your usual day to day activities.  Annoyed though as they put you back to the bottom of the list so will be waiting until September- October now for that. 

Im assuming if anything showed up on the ecogram I would of heard from the consultant  by now. 

The heart rate is low when resting,

it goes up once i am active  sometimes even goes as high as 130-140. That’s right about the GP he offered beta blockers but said he wouldn’t like me to have them as I have asthma. So it’s just a case of dealing with the palpitations when they happen. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone 🙂 I’ve seen that my post has been getting more comments lately just wanted to update everyone on mine. 

I had an echo, stress, pft, xrays, blood work,24 hour monitor , ekg & everything came back normal. My dr just said I have a low HR. I did ask if it was hereditary as my grandmother, uncle and mom all have low HR’s. I do get PVC’s also and they couldn’t find anything with those also. This was a few years back and I have had ekgs since with everything normal. I stopped wearing my fitbit as I’m a hypochondriac & I found myself checking my pulse nonstop& going insane. I still do have random PVC’s & I do have asthma. I’ve related some of my PVCs to hormonal or when I get overheated.    

Best Answer
0 Votes