Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate but not "in shape"?

ANSWERED

IMG_0762.PNG

Hi guys. A little background information on me so you all can have an idea. I'm 22 year old,female, I am overweight. I'm 5'4 weighing 178. I've lost weight from 196. 

My resting heart rate is always pretty low when laying down or sitting around? Into the 50's and as low as 44 during sleep:/ kind of scares me because I've read that isn't good unless you're an athlete. 

Im not an athlete nor do I really work out. It will increase with activity and go to 100 or more if running around but slows down pretty fast once resting. 

I've asked my dr and cardiologist they said ekgs came back good just showed some pvcs but that it's Okay for it to be low because I'm young with no other major help problems such as Bp or diabetes. 

Anyways I'm writing all this in hope of opinions or if anyone else experiences this. Would put my mind at ease. 

Thnaks guys. 

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

have the same problem i’m 72 and i had EKGs and stress test because my doctor told me my HR was low but the EKGs came out normal and the stress test too had a good time on the treadmill 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's entirely normal to be fit and overweight, just as it is normal to be thin and unhealthy. Your bodyweight is a factor but a small factor in your cardiovascular fitness level, and if you do work out then your c.v level will improve and your RHR will go down; so if you don't consider yourself to be "in shape" perhaps you arent but you are well on your way, and perhaps you already are but are being overly sensitive to your own body image? I regularly lift and run and have recently started to be complemented on my progress, but I still think I look overweight!

Best Answer

I know I’m late to this as well. Have you checked thyroid?  Hypothyroidism can cause low HR.  Also check for sleep apnea, which can also cause low HR. I didn’t realize I had sleep apnea. One symptom is that I was getting up to go to the bathroom several times a night. My resting HR is 64 and while I’m sleeping drops to 54/56.

Best Answer

I know this was over a year ago but I’m having the same issue . I had a stress test an echo and a halter monitor and besides palpitations of skipped beats everything is normal . My RHR Sits at 55 and when I’m just sitting it goes down to 52... I’m not in shape and always have numerous palpitations ! Now I obsessively check my HR:(

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tysick i feel you!

I am not in shape at all, during night my heart rate goes to mid 40s, my RHR is 52, and during day when i'm sitting in office it goes to 55 easily. I'm so tired of worrying about my heart rate, found a great deal of evidence that now normal heart rate is considered to become lower, from 60-100 to 50-90. Even so, i cannot put my mind at ease. 

hrrhr

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is a year later. I noticed my HR goes down to low 50s sitting at the desk at work. I can get my HR up at the gym. I am by no means "physically fit". I do go to the gym, I do cardio not intense, and I do lift not intense. I've had EKGs done as well as a 48 holter monitor. I worry constantly about how low it goes but my doctor doesn't seem concerned. I've seen a cardiologist as well and he said I'm "too young to have heart problems" which I disagree but I'm not a doctor. My mom has a low heart rate, could be hereditary. Part of me wishes I never purchased this, then I wouldn't worry. I appreciate reading everyone comments. I know that only my doctor can tell me otherwise but sometimes it's nice to know you aren't alone in this matter. 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

When in doubt get it checked. It can be hereditary like me, genetically born that way. RHR 52, last night while asleep HR down to 40. I'm 80 next birthday and it's done me no harm.

I have been checked and everything  normal.... If you don't get dizzy when you stand I can't see an issue but I'm no doctor...

But always "listen" to your body..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

My HR is usually 80-85 all of a sudden this last week it’s been 55-65, I’m extremely scared and stressed about it, even though I have Dizzy spells my doctor says don’t worry and that it’s a healthy HR?? Well then why has my resting heart rate been 80ish last 8 years and now all of a sudden it’s 55-65? I’m very nervous about this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TobyG41  You look healthy in your photo... and you have been on the Fitbit site for a few years.

Have you changed your activity routine in the last few months ?

It would appear this maybe a sudden change in your demeanor.

How is your blood pressure and blood tests..?

In Australia at my age you get tested for everything but if you get dizzy spells and balance issues I would definitely be getting a second opinion..

I have had the reverse.... A hip replacement and my RHR went up to 74 and took a few weeks to come back to 52..

@TobyG41 wrote:

My HR is usually 80-85 all of a sudden this last week it’s been 55-65, I’m extremely scared and stressed about it, even though I have Dizzy spells my doctor says don’t worry and that it’s a healthy HR?? Well then why has my resting heart rate been 80ish last 8 years and now all of a sudden it’s 55-65? I’m very nervous about this. 

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TobyG41  Here is my RHR over 3 years and it varies by 10 points like yours...

I started keeping this graph because of the hip replacement and the spike and drop in Oct/Nov 17 was a reaction to medicine.

I have found like many, our RHR picks up every sniffle, sore throat and dehydration issues and other spikes are seasonal.. It's autumn here now and the other spikes can follow the extra blankets etc.. but I can't pin it....

@Dominique, one of our CC's, has helped many to allay their fears over RHR and he may post as well.

rhr 2apr19.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
I actually weigh more now than ever which makes it even weirder that my resting heart rate is so low, I weigh 280 now and 2 years ago I weighed 220 😕

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe your Fitbit ? Maybe reset it give it a wipe down ? Have you tried taking your own pulse randomly during the day to compare ? Have you started taking any new meds for anything ? Mine bounces from a RHR of 55 and can jump to 65- and stay for a few weeks then drop down .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is baffling me too. I do workout a lot but I thought my heart rate would be lower when my weight is down ?

I however am very active. But the scale says I am 130 lbs but my heart rates down to 56 .... which is difficult for me to get my heart rate down normally. 

The only thing i can see is the scale showing I am heavier from water retination because it is that time of the month but I am 3 days in I thought the weight would be going down. My stomach seems to be flat as a board but my weights going to my chest and my behind so i feel like junk...oh the Joy's of being female,lol. 

Sometimes I feel like I blame my period though and it probably really isnt AMD furthermore my heart rate should be increased during my period. So confusing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I read so many articles regarding periods and resting heart rate. It's
stated that it's higher just before and goes low during and goes back up
after. I asked my gyne and she said there's no correlation though I think
that is false, especially since I'm pretty sure those trying to conceive
watch their HR and temp. But I had an echo done which shows everything is
normal. My PCP said she's going to talk to my cardiologist whom, says I am
too young to have heart problems. I am however getting a second opinion in
June from another cardiologist. I have anxiety and for the longest time my
HR was 80s or higher. I weened off the extended release alprazolam (doctor
monitored) and my HR went low. Yes I do workout but nothing vigorous. Could
be my new baseline. I just find it odd.

And yes, the joys of being female. Good job on the weightloss. Any tips?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m totally just guessing here but I’m sure your hormones have to do with your heart rate drop . I have been watching mine and certain times of the month it drops to 52 at some points then there is weeks it doesn’t go below 60. But I have noticed monthly fluctuations .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree .. I have been watching my HR for months and there is a week to ten days my HR is very low then it is back to an average 58-60 resting . I have had a hysterectomy so I can’t correlate to my period as I have no clue when it occurs (have my ovaries still). I was hospitalized after my 3 rd child as my HR was low and they were worried about a blood clot ... turned out to be nothing but now looking back I think it’s just my normal !
I have also read that 50-60 is considered normal for a RHR as long as your asymptomatic . Not going to lie ... it makes me really anxious being low ... I guess it’s better than the alternative of being high . Even when I’m anxious it stays low ... weird .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine stays low when I'm anxious too. It does worry me, hence the post. I
think my PCP is stuck on why it's low. I just worry with heart disease as
family history. Just all very strange. Maybe once I get my second opinion
I'll stop worrying. Thanks everyone for the comments/replies
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I am sure it has something to do with hormones.  

I actually gained 10 lbs ..unless I am retaining water again from my period so I dont have too many tips.lol.  either that or I have had a problem doing too much so at times i think my cortisol levels went up when I am holding onto fat...I think it was using the treadmill too much is what killed me..  I like to get crank up the incline and end up overtraining kicking my body into overdrive e... or could be blamed on my brain eating too much ? 

But #1 thing I do believe it is all diet. As they say you can't out train a bad diet!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actual what your saying is not necessarily true Dominique and quite dangerous thing to say . Have a low heart rate doesn’t not mean you are fitter it can be just as dangerous having a heart that is low. Low heart can make you faint quite regularly faint and much more and it can mean some one is very sick.. I suffered anorexia for 15 years I’m heart was so low I could hardly walk and should not have been exercising.. so think before u say things that you are not quilfied in .

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a new theory. I think your heart rate can be low just from eating right. Exercise may have nothing to do with it. It's a good thing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer