Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAYhem Monthly Step Challenge--MAYbe it's time to step it up and get a little crazy with your goals

ANSWERED

So April was a reset month, a restart of the January goals you dropped in February ;-).  For the MAYhem challenge this month, get a little creative; sure, get your steps — always gotta do that — but add some floors, or do a 5K, or post a pic of something 2 or 3 miles away from your couch! You get the idea, it’s MAYhem!!

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week and that will give the rest of us incentive to update our own progress.

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Here are my goals for May

-15K steps/day for all 31 days.
-1 pushup/day for all 31 days (I always do more, but this goal gets me into position!)
-13 weight-lifting days

- 50 floors or more for 20 days

-Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month.  (I tried this one for March and April, but have not made it yet)

The first three are sort of automatic.  Although I write them down at the beginning of the month and keep track, they are almost like breathing.  I haven't looked at my floors for a while and I got over 50 19 days in February, so I'm looking to beat that this month.  I need more sleep and will keep working on that this month.  Finally, while I am not really a social exerciser, my wife is, and it is usually fun when we do a 5K or a bike ride of some sort, so I'll be looking to do one of those this month now that the weather is finally getting a little nicer.

Scott | Baltimore MD

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
207 REPLIES 207

Here are my goals for May

-15K steps/day for all 31 days.
-1 pushup/day for all 31 days (I always do more, but this goal gets me into position!)
-13 weight-lifting days

- 50 floors or more for 20 days

-Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month.  (I tried this one for March and April, but have not made it yet)

The first three are sort of automatic.  Although I write them down at the beginning of the month and keep track, they are almost like breathing.  I haven't looked at my floors for a while and I got over 50 19 days in February, so I'm looking to beat that this month.  I need more sleep and will keep working on that this month.  Finally, while I am not really a social exerciser, my wife is, and it is usually fun when we do a 5K or a bike ride of some sort, so I'll be looking to do one of those this month now that the weather is finally getting a little nicer.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

May Goals

8K steps/day 0/31 This will change later in the month

Exercise bike 80 minutes/day 0/31 will change

Boxing or Yoga switching off daily 0/31

13 weight lifting days 0/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day  0/31

Wine/Beer I limit this to weekends but I want to only do this 1 day on weekends instead of 2 0/4

Eliminate Closets of old clothes in one week 7/7 This is done. Took 4 bags away

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@BaltoscottGood luck in what ever event you do They can be fun

Community Council Member

Best Answer

18 04 28 1705.JPG

Last month kind of fell apart because I hurt my back a bit. Nothing serious... it's all better.

I did drop from 166 lbs. to 158.6 lbs. 

Best Answer

I'm sorry but I'm dropping. Couldn't even do bike today.

I wish you all the best but I need a month off at this point

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I'd like to join in! Although I got rather high and lofty thoughts a few days ago when I reached 15,000 that I'd set that as my goal for May. However, on reflection, I came to the conclusion that if I couldn't even reach 10,000 steps 20 days in April, that this was unrealistic (illogical, too?). So, my goals for the MAYhem Monthly Step Challenge are:

10,000 steps a day monthly average (I'll post an achieved average/day when I report)

15,000 steps a day x 5

Let the Mad MAYhem Monthly Step Challenge begin, and on Friday -- Star Wars Day -- may the 4th be with you! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm dropping. Couldn't even do bike today.

I wish you all the best but I need a month off at this point

@WendyB-- I understand, but we will miss you!!! Congrats on getting those clothes sorted out. That's on my list of things to do. Other cupboards, closets, cellars, plants, etc. have been done; but the work never ends. At least not yet.  Do take care, and rejoin us if you can. 😉

Best Answer

May goals - all weeks are Monday - Sunday  -

AprilMayWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Average
per week steps 105000     
per week burn  21000     
per week weights 3     
per week HIIT 1     
High day (month)2503125000     
Weight loss       
Best Answer

Grr, posted it and it deleted when I edited it:

All goals except high day are weekly.  All weeks begin on Monday

AprilMayWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Total
steps per week 105000     
burn per week 21000     
weights per week 3     
HIIT per week 1     
High day2503125000     
Weight loss       
Best Answer

Ohh May already!  My goals are much the same as last month, but I liked @Ennay's high day so I'm going to add that!

Steps 10,000 per day for at least 20 days

Steps average over 10,000

High step day over 20,000

Swim twice per week

Fitbit Coach or bike ride - one per week

Dance 6 hours per week

@WendyB  sorry you are not going to make it this month, but sometime you DO need to take a break. Take care

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

1 May

Steps 10,000 per day                                       1/20

High step day over 20,000

Swim twice per week                                       1/2     1/8

Fitbit Coach or bike ride - one per week      -/1      -/4    

Dance 6 hours per week                                 2/6     2/24

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

All goals except high day are weekly.  All weeks begin on Monday

AprilMayWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Total
steps per week 106393105000     
burn per week 1999021000     
weights per week 3     
HIIT per week 01     
High day2503125000     
Weight loss 6.8      

Filled in the April stats, expect steps to be way down this week with my mom here.  But with better weather and more baseball games coming I should get some good days.  I have to get my son to the field an hour before the games so there is a bonus hour of walking usually 2 days a week and sometimes weekends.  It's too cold for my mom to go to tonights game or Thursday 's so that will be at least 2 days of getting steps in.

Best Answer

What is the monthly minimum? I'm sorry I'm new to this.

Fitbit Flex - Fitbit Charge - Fitbit Blaze - Fitbit Versa

Whats Worth The Prize Is Always Worth The Fight!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my first time at this so I hope I'm doing it right:

87000 steps/ week

15000+ steps 8 days in May

Fitbit Flex - Fitbit Charge - Fitbit Blaze - Fitbit Versa

Whats Worth The Prize Is Always Worth The Fight!
Best Answer

@Jotex - Oh, cool, Solo is on Friday?  May the 4th Be With You, indeed!

@rylohnes - Welcome.  You are doing it exactly right.  You can reply to any message, and your message will appear as the most recent on the thread.  

There are no minimums.  The basic idea is to set a daily step goal (or whatever you want to track and do more often), some amount you are comfortable with, post here to tell us what it is, and then check in every day or so and tell us how you are doing.  The idea is to build good habits.

Hey @A_Lurker  -- don't forget to post your goals this month 😉

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott — ‘Solo’ only starts later this month (24th or 25th May, depending on the country). I’m watching all the Star Wars films before then — keeps me occupied when I’m on my treadmill, or doing exercises with weights. Just finished ‘A New Hope’ (1st in the original trilogy). Friday’s Star Wars Day, hence ‘May the 4th be with you’! 

Made my goal of 10,000+ steps today. 

Best Answer

@Jotex — oh no, not until the 24th? Now I’m bummed!  Been seeing a lot movies in theaters lately since I joined MoviePass, which is sort of an app/credit card combination in the US that lets you see a movie a day in most theaters for $10/month.  So I’ve been seeing the Solo preview a lot and guessed that’s what you were referring to.  

Of well, so long as MoviePass doesn’t go out of business I’ll see it at the end of the month.  Probably won’t get any steps while watching though.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott -- sorry for the disappointment. I've bought all of them in iTunes, and have Family Pass, so I and my family can watch them as often as we want on any of our devices. The cost of the film is pretty much what it would cost me to go see it on a big screen here in Switzerland (yep, even that is expensive -- approx. equivalent of $15). I've pre-ordered Solo, though I will probably also splash out and go see it in the cinema in Bern, too.

Best Answer

@Baltoscott- I'm here, I'm here.  Smiley Tongue

So, for May:

1) 10,000 steps each day

2) some other form of exercise (rowing, elliptical, strength training... may include gardening)

3) 7h sleep average each week

4) checking in each day

My sleep patterns got back to semi-normal for a while, however, Sunday night I got almost no sleep and I'm going to try and get that back into a routine.  Also, I'm not checking in much, so I'm going to work on a daily report.  Consistency is king.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer