Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marathon and Half Marathon training apps

ANSWERED

Ran a half-marathon two years ago, and getting back into shape to run my second and hopefully third. I would like to consider running a marathon in the future. I did my first without a fitbit and without an app, but I'm wondering if there is an app that would make training easier? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just finished Boston Marathon and did all my training with the Surge. Suggestion: depending upon your finishing-time goal, consider one of the Timex Ironman Marathon Training plans. They provide pacing ranges within each training runs and enabled me to run with a strategy that cut 18 minutes off my previous marathon. Surge (my third) worked flawlessly and allowed me to download mile-split times from each of my long distance runs.

Print out the plan and tape it to your wall.  Then enter your daily results. And if you start hurting, back right off the plan and give your body time to repair.

Good luck

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I just finished Boston Marathon and did all my training with the Surge. Suggestion: depending upon your finishing-time goal, consider one of the Timex Ironman Marathon Training plans. They provide pacing ranges within each training runs and enabled me to run with a strategy that cut 18 minutes off my previous marathon. Surge (my third) worked flawlessly and allowed me to download mile-split times from each of my long distance runs.

Print out the plan and tape it to your wall.  Then enter your daily results. And if you start hurting, back right off the plan and give your body time to repair.

Good luck

Best Answer

Maybe it depends on location. I'm looking at downloadable apps on my Samsung and Surge is a dating app for gay men here (I live in Vietnam), and Timex is available but not the one you've mentioned. I trust the apps you mentioned are both excellent, so I'm going to look more at the Timex options available in this region. Thank you for your reply. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TrottinScott: just in case (since you appear to be new to Fitbit): Surge is one of the Fitbit trackers. It’s the only one that has built-in GPS. I’m not really into running, but I did complete te Golden Gate semi-marathin in San Francisco last November, and I found the Surge very useful for making sure I kept the right pace (not too fast, not too slow). When you start a run on it, it will vibrate every kilometer (or mile, depending on your unit of choice) and display the time for the previous lap. The metric system offers a slight advantage here, since it breaks the race in shorter laps (a half-marathon is about 21 laps of 1 km, whereas it’s only about 13 laps of 1 mile). Although it’s still the most expensive Fitbit tracker, the Surge doesn’t have all the latest features (advanced sleep tracking, reminder to move etc.) and it’s a bit bulky (because of the built-in GPS), but it’s still great for running IMO. Funny to hear it’s something else in Vietnam!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes