Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness 2020 — Step Challenge and Photo Scavenger Hunt

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It is the third month of 2020 and for college basketball fans in the US the start of three weeks of hoop madness (beginning on March 17).  My Kansas Jayhawks are flawed this year (can't shoot very well other than dunking), but in a one-and-done 64+team tournament the luck of the draw often brings favorable matchups.  You just never know what will happen.  

In the meantime, it is time to commit to another month of health goals.                                                      

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format     
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures 

March will be the last month of winter for most of us (and summer from some of us).  It is usually a good time for a mini-vacation, or maybe a big vacation, so the task this month is to get out of the house, walk about and find three pics that represent play or relaxation — People, or animals — swimming, skiing, hiking, sunning; or fun places, tourist attractions, playgrounds, circus tents, festivals.  Of course, the spread of coronavirus may result in the cancellation of many public events and if that happens where you are, maybe post some pics documenting how your community is reacting.

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
204 REPLIES 204

Still it's not downloading

Best Answer
0 Votes

March Madness Day 12

Steps: Goal 10000: 12/31

Boxing: 12/31

Bike 3 times : 12/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 7/15

DVD Has Balance, Cardio: 12/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups ::12/31

Leg Exercises: 12/31

250 Steps per hour : 12/31

Log food daily : 12/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos : 4/3

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 1/3

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

March Madness 2020

Day 12

15K steps/day  11/31

10 pushup + shoulder extension /day

12/31

15 weight-lifting days

7/15

post 3 scavenger pics

2/3

Sleep 6 hours, 10 minutes 12 days or more during the month

2/12

3 pull-up + 1min bar-hang /day

12/31

Lose 2 lbs (Start 3/1 at 160.7 lbs.)

3/8

So, before coronavirus (BC), we had this sad little stop sign placard in the bathrooms where I work that urged us to wash our hands. Still there.  But NOW, we've also got our new six-step instructions for handwashing the RIGHT WAY. 🙂 

I only jest a bit, and I wasn't following all the handwashing motions helpfully detailed in the second half of the new chart.  I honestly think I'm washing my hands 30x or more a day now, and scolding myself at least as often for touching my face.  It is really amazing to notice how often face touching happens, to everyone, when you start to pay attention.

Before Covid-19Before Covid-19After Covid-19After Covid-19

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March Madness - Day 12

5,000+ steps ----- 2/11

10,000+ steps ----- 6/16

15,000+ steps -----1/4 ----- yay!

1,500mls water ----- 9/31

Keep to food plan ----- 10/31

Sleep 7+ hours ----- 5/31

Scavenger Pix ----- 1/3

@SteppingBooks  I don't have any Bowflex equipment, but it was the first video on YouTube, and as it was labelled 'Squats For Beginners' I figured it was perfect for me. And like the one you mentioned, it is simple, clear and... just what I needed. So far, I can really feel it in my muscles on either side of my kneecaps 🙂 and over time I presume I will squat deeper and engage another bunch of muscles!

@Baltoscott  I started my career as a film editor in the news department of a TV station using a type of film called original reversal. As it was camera original - the only version of the footage - we had to use white cotton gloves and/or super clean hands at all times... So I have always had an awareness of my hands if they are a shade off clean, and so wash them regularly - but not obsessively! (This is probably why I dislike hand sanitiser - my hands feel unclean as I cannot wash it off. Not that you can buy hand sanitiser for love nor money at the moment.) Meanwhile, I am giving myself a gold star as I seem to have been washing my hands correctly according to your AC poster 😉 

Best Answer
hi...how is life over there ?
Best Answer

hi...how is life over there ?

Best Answer

I would like to join the March made and scavenger hunt

Best Answer

March Madness Day 12:

15k Steps/Day: 06/31

600 Cal/Day Deficit: 09/31

20 Squats/Day: 11/31

IF 16x/Month:  8/16

Yoga 1x/week: 01/4

Weights 2x/week: 01/8

Photo Scavenger Hunt: --/3

@Kanga999 Of course!  I find more that my thighs ache if I do too much rather than around my knees.  

Best Answer

@Nitram_112 Welcome! Please join in. Your goals dont have to be too difficult to meet,  but I find it really helps me keep active.

@Baltoscott I and being much more proactive with the handwashing too! And trying to cut down the face touching. I dont even know I am doing it most of the time!

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   12/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      10/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                            5/10

3 days over 20,000 steps                                               2/3

10 lunges a day for 20 days                                          10/20

Swim 2x per week                                                           3/8

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 3/8

3  hours dance practice per week minimum              11/12

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                    2/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Hi @Nitram_112 - Welcome.  No worries about joining mid-month, just post to the thread whatever goals you want to commit to for the rest of the month (daily step goal is a good one to start with) and the post back every few days with your progress and to see how the rest of the group is doing.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March Madness Day 13

Steps: Goal 10000: 13/31

Boxing: 13/31

Bike 3 times : 13/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 8/15

DVD Has Balance, Cardio: 13/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups : 13/31

Leg Exercises: 13/31

250 Steps per hour : 13/31

Log food daily : 13/31

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 2.3/3

Community Council Member

Best Answer

14 March

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   13/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      11/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                            5/10

3 days over 20,000 steps                                               2/3

10 lunges a day for 20 days                                          11/20

Swim 2x per week                                                           4/8

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 3/8

3  hours dance practice per week minimum              11/12

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                    2/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

March Madness Day 14

Steps: Goal 10000: 14/31

Boxing: 14/31

Bike 3 times : 14/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 8/15

DVD Has Balance, Cardio: 14/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups : 1431

Leg Exercises: 14/31

250 Steps per hour : 14/31

Log food daily : 14/31

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 2.3/3

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March Madness — Day 11-14

10,000+ steps: 4/15 days

15,000+ steps:  4/4 days

20,000+ steps: 0/2 days
Exercises & weights: 7/15 days

Stomach exercises: 6/10 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 7/15 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 12/20 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 2/3

The past five days (after Tuesday) have been weird, and I haven’t made it to even 10,000 steps or worked out. Concerned and distracted by the whole Coronavirus and its impact on our daily life in Switzerland. Plans are to get back on track with my fitness goals, now that I will be spending +/- 24/7 at home. 
Keep healthy Peeps. 

P.S. I was also working on finishing a painting to be used in the program of our choir’s concert (event has now been postponed, though).

3E8965D9-9D93-453E-9D39-E8C262BFA1E9.jpeg

Best Answer

@Jotex The impact on this virus is getting to all of us I think. So many places closing and so many cancellations 😒 I know its for the best though

Love your painting😁😀

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Thanks so much @WendyB. 😊 Funnily enough, the old adage ‘misery loves company’ has proven to be true. We mind less — all the inconvenience — if everyone is in the same boat. I’m so thankful for all of you in THIS group to help keep me focused and moving forward. 🙌 

Best Answer

I'm going to change my goals for a while.

First of all, pay attention to your heart rate history on your tracker. For years my resting heart rate fluctuated between 50 and 55. Suddenly in late February it jumped to the 70's in less than a week and then to low 80's. I didn't notice any difference at first, but then at the gym under moderate exercise I couldn't catch my breath.  I had also noticed that walking up our hills was making me breath hard. Last week I visited my Dr, and he said, "What are you doing here, you are my healthiest patient!"  After a quick check over and EKG he said I had Atrial fibrillation. So off to several more tests plus one more next week to determine the cause of this. May not get results till late April.

Until then I've been ordered to take it easy. 

I'm pretty sure that a 5,000 step goal will work, since I did get over 5k starting with the day I saw my Dr.  Will give up my floors and gym goals. Will try to keep up with the yoga. Don't know about riding, the loading and saddling up may be too much. We did take our horses to the Vet Saturday for annual shots and it was a real chore for me to load them in the trailer, very out of breath. Not that they are difficult to load, but they walk pretty fast. I usually do all this myself but my wife has to help out now.

I'm sure I will be back to walking these hills in a few months. Keep me up to date on new challenges.

Good news! We went out to lunch after the Dr. appt to a new to us Mexican place and they sold these shirts, had to have one!

Ben Mex T.jpg

Best Answer

March Madness — Day 15

10,000+ steps: 5/15 days

15,000+ steps:  4/4 days

20,000+ steps: 0/2 days
Exercises & weights: 8/15 days

Stomach exercises: 7/10 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 8/15 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 13/20 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 2/3

@benvegi - glad you noticed your resting heart rate increasing! Sounds like you have a good plan to reduce your activities so that you don’t overdo it. Take care! {Cool T-shirt😎}

Best Answer

March Madness 2020

Day 13

15K steps/day  12/31

10 pushup + shoulder extension /day

13/31

15 weight-lifting days

8/15

post 3 scavenger pics

3/3

Sleep 6 hours, 10 minutes 12 days or more during the month

3/12

3 pull-up + 1min bar-hang /day

13/31

Lose 2 lbs (Start 3/1 at 160.7 lbs.)

3/15

My coronavirus experience at the gym.  Staff reminded my to wipe down all equipment before and after using it (which I did), staff was constantly cleaning; the management took half of the aerobic machines out of service to keep people further apart, and, since no else showed up, I had the whole place to myself 🙂

Social Distancing-- every other other machine off limitsSocial Distancing-- every other other machine off limitsIMG_5602.jpeg

@Jotex -- the your painting looks great.  @benvegi -- I like the T-shirt, and good advice about paying attention to your HR metrics.  I hope the docs help you get it under control and back to your normal self quickly!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Good Luck, Buddy

Best Answer