Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measured heart rate higher than calculated max

ANSWERED

I am 37 years of age. My calculated max heart rate is 220-37 = 183

A few weeks ago I went running and I used a heart rate monitor with a breast band and measured a max during a run of 187

Today (a few minutes ago) I went running and my Fitbit Charge 2 measured a max during the run of 193

My question is, should I set a custom max heart rate in the Fitbit app? I am inclined to set my max heartrate to the highest heart rate that my fitbit measures (currently 193).

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Nickcroon,

You certainly could change the max heart rate, and you'll probably want to if you're very fit.

Here is an article that describes an alternate method of calculating maximum HR that often predicts a higher BPM than the standard 220-age. It may work better in your case.

I would hold off on changing it until you've seen what your max HR is over a number of runs. That way you'll know if the 193 reading was a fluke or not. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Nickcroon,

You certainly could change the max heart rate, and you'll probably want to if you're very fit.

Here is an article that describes an alternate method of calculating maximum HR that often predicts a higher BPM than the standard 220-age. It may work better in your case.

I would hold off on changing it until you've seen what your max HR is over a number of runs. That way you'll know if the 193 reading was a fluke or not. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

You can use the FitDigits app (available for iOS and Android) to determine your custom heart rate zones:

http://www.fitdigits.com/personalized-heart-rate-zones.html

http://blog.fitdigits.com/tips-and-how-tos/customize-heart-rate-zones-on-ios/

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nickcroon wrote:

I am 37 years of age. My calculated max heart rate is 220-37 = 183

A few weeks ago I went running and I used a heart rate monitor with a breast band and measured a max during a run of 187

Today (a few minutes ago) I went running and my Fitbit Charge 2 measured a max during the run of 193

My question is, should I set a custom max heart rate in the Fitbit app? I am inclined to set my max heartrate to the highest heart rate that my fitbit measures (currently 193).

The 220-Age formula is a bunch of crap; it is accurate as often as it is inaccurate; long story short, ignore it.  Instead, used the readings of your heart rate for trend analysis and move on.  If you really-really want to do heart rate training, self test, or have a doctor test you for your max heart rate and go with that.

Best Answer

The article cited in your answer does not offer an alternate method for calculating max HR. It suggests exactly the method brought into question here, 220-age. From the article:

"You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220."

Then it goes on to describe calculating HR Zones. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WEStone wrote:

The article cited in your answer does not offer an alternate method for calculating max HR. It suggests exactly the method brought into question here, 220-age. From the article:

"You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220."

Then it goes on to describe calculating HR Zones. 

Short of being tested by a cardiologist, there is no hard and fast way of calculating max heart rate.  Long story short, ignore the 220-Age formula as it is complete garbage, and work on a different type of training plan.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't disagree. I'm not the original poster and I didn't recommend any training plan. I pointed out that the answer proposed an alternate method where there is none. I know the 220-age formula is useless. That formula predicts my max HR to be 163, and my HR at the end of my run this morning was 188. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Linked article updated June 17, 2021.

Original post back in 2017.

I'll bet there was a more interesting valid method given back then on the page - that caused some liability issues from people foolishly missing the advice to see your Dr before doing the test.

I've had several links do the same, or are no longer valid, regarding even a sub-maximal test.

Some still around though!!

https://exrx.net/Testing/CardioTests

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes