Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring up, goal-setting and motivation

What is the best way to set your goals?

How do you measure success?

How do these goals keep you motivated?

When do they work against you?

My story:

Initially my fitbit goal was set at 10,000 daily steps. It worked pretty well for me. On the more sedentary days I found myself going for late-night walks around the block just to get the extra steps and feel my fitbit buzz! But mostly, I found myself reaching the goal just going about my usual routine. I found that I often reached just above 11,000 steps.

So... I decided to stretch myself and make my goal 12,000.

But, I've since noticed that this can be as demotivating as it is motivating.

When it's 10.30pm at night and I'm at 11,000 steps I'll still do that last minute dash to reach my new goal. But I've also noticed that if I'm at 9,500, I'm less inclined to bother. If 12,000 seems out of reach, I don't put in the extra effort. So my daily step count is much more inconsistent. Up and down throughout the week.

I *think* I'm doing slightly more steps overall each week, but it's hard to tell. And becasue I've put the goal up I'm getting the 'fitbit buzz' less often.

Should I keep my goal at this ambitious level or reduce it to ensure success more often?

What do you do?

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Good question. I've been trying to decide whether to up my goal to 15,000 steps a day or not.  Right now I have it set for 12,000 and I just try to get the 15,000 in anyways.  Somehow I find it easier to do that because I get the excitement of overachieving versus underacheiving.  I also focus on my weekly step count.  There is always one day a week where I get only about 5,000 steps a day because it's a rest day, so I sort of focus more on the weekly goal.  Hope that helps a bit.

Best Answer
Good on trying new goals and pushing yourself further. I look at a goal as something to strive for. Not necessarily easy to get but not something impossible to reach either. If you find it difficult to reach your new goal and begin to feel demotivated as you said, you may have to reavulate it and set your steps at something more realistic. The goal of the Fitbit is to get us to move more, not make us dread activity 🙂
Best Answer

@kadubb wrote:

Good question. I've been trying to decide whether to up my goal to 15,000 steps a day or not.  Right now I have it set for 12,000 and I just try to get the 15,000 in anyways.  Somehow I find it easier to do that because I get the excitement of overachieving versus underacheiving.  I also focus on my weekly step count.  There is always one day a week where I get only about 5,000 steps a day because it's a rest day, so I sort of focus more on the weekly goal.  Hope that helps a bit.

I like it!

You've kind of got two levels of goal; base camp at 12,000 and mountain top at 15,000.

And then you have your ultimate weekly goal to climb the mountain 6-days per week.

I guess what I find interesting is that I can reach base camp and feel disapoointment. Maybe that is because I've set unreasonable expectations on myself to reach the mountain top every day.

Is there ever a time when you feel demotvated by your own goals?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tave wrote:
Good on trying new goals and pushing yourself further. I look at a goal as something to strive for. Not necessarily easy to get but not something impossible to reach either. If you find it difficult to reach your new goal and begin to feel demotivated as you said, you may have to reavulate it and set your steps at something more realistic. The goal of the Fitbit is to get us to move more, not make us dread activity 🙂

Thanks Tave. I reckon your philiosophy of setting goals to gently stretch yourself, and then reevaluating them is a good one. Maybe I should bring mine back to 11000 and see how that goes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi Mike- I think maybe ask yourself why. And keep asking yourself why until you get to the most clear answer. why isn't 11K enough? Why do I feel I need to do 12K? Why do I feel less motivated when I don't achieve my goal? Why has my outlook changed since I started my journey? it's like a crash course in root cause analysis on yourself. If you honestly can't answer the questions, or the answers are less than positive, it's probably reset time. Go back to where you were and find the enthusiasm again...just a suggestion.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@MikeMcEvoyI totally get what you're saying. My goal is 15,000 steps and I do get that every day. and usually more. I tried to up my goal to 20,000 but I found it totally demotivating. When I get out of work, sometimes I only have 8,000 steps. 20,000 just seemed so far away, I didn't want to exercise at all. As @kadubb said, I'd rather have the lower goal and overachieve than have a higher goal that just seems unreachable. Whatever helps your motivation, go with that.

Best Answer
Thanks everyone who has responded to my questions about motivation and goal-setting so far.

I have to admit, AT FIRST when a couple of you related your own stories and casually said your goals were set at 15,000 / 20,000 / "I reach it easily" etc etc my heart sank. Suddenly my gallant attempts to extend myself to 12,000 and my failure sometimes to even reach 10,000 paled in comparison! The same thing happens sometimes after I've just got a personal best, then I open up the list showing how many steps my friends have done and my achievement seems lame!

I know that it's not healthy to compare myself. We're all on our own fitness journeys... And yet I find it hard not to! Does that happen to others too?

In some way though, perhaps it has helped. In the 10days since I posted this message I reached several PBs! On a few occasions I surpassed my 12,000 and even got past 15,000. I also reached my best weekly step count!

I think this might be due to a little bit of competition, but mainly I think it is due to some mindset changes thanks to your advice.

@kadubb @Tave and @betpchem you all encouraged me to re-evaluate where I set my goal and think about it differently (I've now got two levels of goal where I can congratulate myself). And @emili you asked some probing and important questions that lead me to question some deep-held assumptions and default thought patterns. Thank you all so much.

I'd love to hear from other people too! I'm also interested to hear whether people find comparing yourself to others motivating or demotivating. Is competition useful?
Best Answer

My ability is very different, thanks to spinal arthritis, but the process of choosing a goal is the same.

I had mine set at 1200 and was reaching it too often, so I stretched myself to 1500. Now I am thrilled when I meet it and get that buzz, and really proud of myself when I get to 2000. And I know there will be days when I only get 800, say, because the pain is so bad. And that is okay.

So I'd say when you are meeting your goal 5 or 6 days a week, it's time to raise it a little. Not a lot. I'd think making the new goal 2 or 3 times a week would be ideal.  You are less apt to injure yourself, too, when you go up in small increments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personally, I'd feel better hitting 10,000 consistently than 12,000 every now and then. 

What is the best way to set your goals?

I set my goals on pen and paper.

How do you measure success?

They are measured on pen, paper and progress. 

How do these goals keep you motivated?

Seeing them so clear makes me understand what needs to be done to achieve progress. 

When do they work against you?

I suffer from clinical depression, so I can lock everyone out and be self destructive. Seeing things clearly on pen and paper make me realize that the monster I'm fearing is much simpler to tackle. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MikeMcEvoy

OK, it is important to challenge yourself. I too found that the 10,000 step goal was easily achieved and I could do it without changing anything in my life. In other words, I would achieve the 10,000 steps a day, but I believe there was little personal benefit to me as in reality it would involve no change for the better in order to achieve better fitness, weight loss etc.

So I increased mine to 12,000 and then to 15,000.

But that aside, Fitbit is a lot more than just a step counter. There is really no need in achieving your step target. Everyone is different, so if you derive motivation in achieving it then do it. But try and broaden your activity when ready to do so and when you do, don't worry if you don't meet the 12,000 step target. Download the FitStar and FitStar Yoga Apps and go through those routines. If you have access to a gym, do some treadmil, eliptical, rowing, and some weights. Work on your core and upper body strength.

Monitor the activity through FitBit and look at the Calorie Burn. Don't worry about the steps or the Floors climbed if you've been active doing other things. It all comes down to the calories burned and how many calories you eat. Try to maintain a calorie deficit (a realistic calorie deficit of 500 is sensible), if weight loss is one of your goals.

On top of that, the FitBit and Activity is only one part of the equation. You got to watch what you eat as well. Enter your foods into the app to see the trends and whether you're eating too many calories or too little.

But naturally, set realistic goals. Don't try and conquer the world from day one. Just set the bar slightly higher each week. 

You goals should be set where they are achievable, but maybe high enough where they are not avhievable each day. You got to challenge yourself. But of course, everyone is different, so what works for me might not work for you or anyone else. You need to find your happy place. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've left the 10K goal alone and instead focus on a weekly goal of 100K steps.

We all have jobs/kids/other crap we have to do, in addition to weather and other items beyond our immediate control that some days will just be a failure.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love to keep an agenda. I write goals for the week (Fitness goals, work goals, ect..) I found if I make a list and I can tick it off it grants me a self of accomplishment. The way I stay at it is that Fitbit time is my time where I can just be in my head and really evaluate my day. 

I find it the best to get my music player updated with song that make me want to get and GO! I go for walks, I found it best to set a destination, Maybe to a coffee shop that's in another part of town or even the next town over. I did this and before I knew it the 10,000 mark went off. When I went in and bought my coffee, I looked down and it was at 35,000. 

Walking is my thing, My next goal is aim for a BPM while I walk, or maybe faster until I learn to jog and then eventually run. 

basically in this blurb, my point is Have fun with it! if one thing doesn't work for you change it up. Change the route you take, change the music! 

Have a great week! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did not up my goal from 10k until I met it consistently. I don't let it bother me when I don't make it either. Like this week im traveling and I'm not even coming close to 10k. But that's fine with me.

I use to try and compete with my self. Right now I'm trying more to get in other things like weights, yoga. To me it's not all about walking.
Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes