Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medications & Weight Gain

Just hung up the phone with my pharmacist, and discovered that 3 medications has the possibility of weight gain.  February 2012 to April 2012 was the year my parents moved 50 years of stuff, and moved closer to me and hubbs.  I suppose the three months of moving them out of the home I grew up in, to the new home put some heavy stress on my body and mind.  So much so, that on Mother's Day (May 13, 2012), I started with the diagnosis of Transient Global Amnesia (See the video to understand what I went through, "Is It Tuesday Yet"?).  It was like my conscience took to hiding in the back of my brain somewhere, then on 2-3 seconds moments, I would come out to being present, I never knew that I was in ambulance being taken to emergency.  As a result after about two weeks, I started having seizures along with panic attack.  Since then, I'm taking Lamotrigine (Seizures), Citalopram (Panic attacks), and Venlafaxine (anti-depressant), which I call "the Happy Pills' Happy Pill".  Then 2015-2016, my father died of Cirrhosis of the Liver.  I was my mother's assistant, and the caregiver's caregiver.  Finally on 2/27/2016, he passed.  When my father passed, my neurologist thought it best to put me on Venlafaxine (which I referred to as "the happy pill's happy pill"), which GREATLY helped me during/after that whole process.  Venlafaxine is an anti-depressant.  However, 24 hours after his passing, I had a full blown out seizure, again picked up by an ambulance and taken to a hospital.  (NOTE:  While in the emergency room, my dad came to see me after 24 hours that he passed.  Another story.)

Prior to having these issues, I’ve always had a very flat stomach.  The most I weighed in is 105 pounds, now it’s 130 pounds, which I don’t know how to shake off.  The weight gain looks like a hot water bottle, jiggly.  In my perfect world, I’d love to see my stomach toned for the end of November when we (hubbs included) and his family fly to the Dominican Republic.  When hubbs and I flew to Jamaica for our 30th anniversary, I was so embarrassed how my one-piece bathing suite looked on me.

Would love to know what I can do reduce this flab, so I can once again be proud of my once thin body.  Would love to have the family see me with a good shape, rather than this jiggly 25 pounds of what looks like a hot water bottle.

Thanks ahead,

Starlette

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Starlette Welcome to the forum. The very thing I would like to suggest is to learn to love yourself no matter what your size or shape. Once you love yourself again, it's easier to do the right things to get healthier. Stress is know to add belly fat, so again self loathing is a stressor, which is adding to the problem. I 100% understand the frustration and desire to change. Years ago I went thru a very stressful time, which included medication for that added weight, I felt bad about myself, I was ashamed to be seen a swimsuit, I avoided social events because I hated how I looked. One day, literally it hit me, I was missing out on my life, my family and friends missed me, they didn't care what I looked like, it was my issue and I was letting it control me. Once I came to grips with that, I was able to accept what had happened to my body and began to forgive myself. I started spending time and energy with family and friends (much less self focus) and very slowly I started to lose the weight. I am now back to close to my desired weight, not perfect, but I'm ok with that because I'm healthy and I made a choice to love and embrace who I am so I can enjoy my life. I hope this helps. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
I'll reply later. Just lost my whole post.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Starlette hey there. It sounds like you have had your hands full for the past few years which has taken a toll on your overall well being. I would love to say do this or do that to get yourself where you want to be, but I can't because it doesn't exist. It is a combination of food, lifestyle, emotional well being and activity. Weight loss starts in the kitchen and is aided by activity. But you have to be mentally and emotionally ready to commit to doing it. my weight loss happened as a result of being unhappy with who I was, how people saw me and most importantly how I saw myself. I refused to be in pictures because of how I looked. One day I woke up and thought.. that's it. I have had enough. I changed my lifestyle, my relationship with food, activity and everyone around me. 70 pounds later- I am a happy, lucky chick. I wish you all the best... let us know what you decide and how you are doing. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer