Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metronome + Maffetone + Galloway

The most important factor for runners is avoiding injuries.

Up to a point, I've found increasing total miles improves my running times regardless of the training method. For maximum improvement, I find about 42 training miles a week works best for me. (This does not include steps outside of running). My maximum "Fitbit miles" a week to avoid injuries is about 75 miles. Past this point, I start to get minor injuries that force me to take time off to avoid chronic problems.

Metronome use

I've been using a metronome for walking and running for about three years. To determine the cadence for walking, I walked my normal route without a metronome and used the slowest cadence for a five minute period. I got this from the summary chart for steps. At first, it was 115 beats per minute (bpm). Now it's 120 bpm.  For running, I started with the cadence for what I call "old man running." This starts when it becomes natural to raise the arms. Each training day, I increased the cadence by 0.1 bpm. (I use Audacity for creating a click track. If anyone is interested,  I'll explain more.) This small increment is important as I don't notice the intensity increase from one run to the next. Since I do timed runs, I also increase the distance slightly each run.

Using a metronome sounds horrid, but after about ten training sessions, I found my feet followed it automatically without thought.

Maffetone Method

Dr. Maffetone has been doing extensive running research since the early 80's. 

I discovered the Maffetone method in 2015. The simple version is run at a pace where your heart rate is less than 180 minus your age. This comes close to 70% of a person's theoretical maximum heart rate. Maffetone recommends running all miles at this heart rate. Running at this heart rate causes the body to burn 70% fat and 30% carbs. Even ten beats higher can reverse the ratio to 30% fat and 70% carbs. In other words, the training includes an anaerobic portion which results in quick fatigue.

In practice, I look at the average heart rate for the whole run and look at the heart rate graph to see if there are extended excursions above the target heart rate. Sometimes, especially in cold weather, the Fitbit heart rate monitor goes wild on the up side. I ignore these.

In my opinion, this is the best book on the Maffetone method.

The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racingby Philip Maffetone and Mark Allen

Jeff Galloway
I discovered Jeff Galloway recently. He has been running for 50 years and training runners for about 43 years. The emphasis is on avoiding injury and training recreational runners. I'll define recreational as those who run a 3 hour marathon and slower. It can also be used for short distances. It's basically interval training in disguise. Many people feel interval training is the quickest method to improve  cardiovascular conditioning. They also associate it with huffing and puffing. Jeff has a strict "no huffing and puffing rule" to avoid injuries.

Basically, a new out of shape runner would walk for 55 seconds and run slowly for 5 seconds. With time they would run for a time and walk for a time. 20 seconds of walking and 60 seconds of running works well. If a person likes they can walk for a minute and run for three minutes. (This is greatly simplified.) They are free to vary the ratio to what feels good. 

The concept is resting before a person's weak link has a chance to turn to an injury.

The biggest objection to the Galloway method is "real runners don't walk during races." That is until the last six miles of a marathon for many. The counter to this objection is taking frequent walking breaks during a race will result in the runner being fresher at the end and running faster. My mathematical counter is a person running at a cadence of 160 bpm, which is average for advanced recreational runners, will slow their pace by about 7%. However, because of interval training, the pace is likely to be faster than using other methods. They will also be able to continue this pace longer.

Those who worry about the pace are missing the point of running without injury and enjoyment.

Truthfully, I used to hate alternating running and walking, but after I gave it a fair chance, I enjoy it.

Two books I recommend:
The Run-Walk-Run Method Kindle Edition
by Jeff Galloway (Author)

Running Until You're 100 3rd Ed Kindle Edition

Putting it all together
Before each run, I create a click track using Audacity. It starts with a 20 minute walking warm up. Then I alternate 20 seconds of walking and 60 seconds of running at a slow pace for 50 minutes. I end with a ten minute cool down walk. There is nothing magical about an 80 minute training period. It's just the time I have available each morning. Later, I'll play with the walking and running times.

I measure progress by calculating the cadence for the entire training session. Since the running cadence goes up each session, the cadence for the training session should increase each day. I don't worry about times as eventually, they will follow the cadence.

I start my Charge 2 using the running function at the start and stop it at the end. (I also stop it if I have to duck into the woods.) I use the Nike Running app to play the click track and to give voice cues every mile. The times and distances are accurate, but the pace is not. Ideally, I won't look at my Charge 2 for the entire session.

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

The most important factor for runners is avoiding injuries.

Up to a point, I've found increasing total miles improves my running times regardless of the training method. For maximum improvement, I find about 42 training miles a week works best for me. (This does not include steps outside of running). My maximum "Fitbit miles" a week to avoid injuries is about 75 miles. Past this point, I start to get minor injuries that force me to take time off to avoid chronic problems.

Metronome use

I've been using a metronome for walking and running for about three years. To determine the cadence for walking, I walked my normal route without a metronome and used the slowest cadence for a five minute period. I got this from the summary chart for steps. At first, it was 115 beats per minute (bpm). Now it's 120 bpm.  For running, I started with the cadence for what I call "old man running." This starts when it becomes natural to raise the arms. Each training day, I increased the cadence by 0.1 bpm. (I use Audacity for creating a click track. If anyone is interested,  I'll explain more.) This small increment is important as I don't notice the intensity increase from one run to the next. Since I do timed runs, I also increase the distance slightly each run.

Using a metronome sounds horrid, but after about ten training sessions, I found my feet followed it automatically without thought.

Maffetone Method

Dr. Maffetone has been doing extensive running research since the early 80's. 

I discovered the Maffetone method in 2015. The simple version is run at a pace where your heart rate is less than 180 minus your age. This comes close to 70% of a person's theoretical maximum heart rate. Maffetone recommends running all miles at this heart rate. Running at this heart rate causes the body to burn 70% fat and 30% carbs. Even ten beats higher can reverse the ratio to 30% fat and 70% carbs. In other words, the training includes an anaerobic portion which results in quick fatigue.

In practice, I look at the average heart rate for the whole run and look at the heart rate graph to see if there are extended excursions above the target heart rate. Sometimes, especially in cold weather, the Fitbit heart rate monitor goes wild on the up side. I ignore these.

In my opinion, this is the best book on the Maffetone method.

The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racingby Philip Maffetone and Mark Allen

Jeff Galloway
I discovered Jeff Galloway recently. He has been running for 50 years and training runners for about 43 years. The emphasis is on avoiding injury and training recreational runners. I'll define recreational as those who run a 3 hour marathon and slower. It can also be used for short distances. It's basically interval training in disguise. Many people feel interval training is the quickest method to improve  cardiovascular conditioning. They also associate it with huffing and puffing. Jeff has a strict "no huffing and puffing rule" to avoid injuries.

Basically, a new out of shape runner would walk for 55 seconds and run slowly for 5 seconds. In time they would run for a time and walk for a time. 20 seconds of walking and 60 seconds of running works well. If a person likes they can walk for a minute and run for three minutes. (This is greatly simplified.) They are free to vary the ratio to what feels good. 

The concept is resting before a person's weak link has a chance to turn to an injury.

The biggest objection to the Galloway method is "real runners don't walk during races." That is until the last six miles of a marathon for many. The counter to this objection is taking frequent walking breaks during a race will result in the runner being fresher at the end and running faster. My mathematical counter is a person running at a cadence of 160 bpm, which is average for advanced recreational runners, will slow their pace by about 7%. However, because of interval training, the pace is likely to be faster than using other methods. They will also be able to continue this pace longer.

Those who worry about the pace are missing the point of running without injury and increasing enjoyment.

Truthfully, I used to hate running and walking, but after I gave it a fair chance, I enjoy it.

Two books I recommend:
The Run-Walk-Run Method Kindle Edition

Running Until You're 100 3rd Ed Kindle Edition

Putting it all together
Before each run, I create a click track using Audacity. It starts with a 20 minute walking warm up. Then I alternate 20 seconds of walking and 60 seconds of running at a slow pace for 50 minutes. I end with a ten minute cool down walk. There is nothing magical about an 80 minute training period. It's just the time I have available each morning. Later, I'll play with the walking and running times.

I measure progress by calculating the cadence for the entire training session. Since the running cadence goes up each session, the cadence for the training session should increase each day. I don't worry about times as eventually, they will follow the cadence.

I start my Charge 2 using the running function at the start and stop it at the end. (I also stop it if I have to duck into the woods.) I use the Nike Running app to play the click track and to give voice cues every mile. The times and distances are accurate, but the pace is not. Ideally, I won't look at my Charge 2 for the entire session.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, very informative post!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

What a great read!

If you don't mind, I'd love to hear more about how you use a metronome to 'control' your cadence and how you make it. I really think this could be a useful tool for me.

I've recently gotten back on track with health and fitness after getting sidetracked late last fall. Before that as well as now I feel like my cadence is an issue, especially when trying to build endurance/intervals.

I did a version of c25k about a year ago (my starting point was zero) with ok end results (being able to jog for 35 minutes), and I'd like to do something similar again (because I'm almost back at zero), but I would often start out the 'running' too fast and end up burning too much energy too early if that makes any sense.

I say 'running' because it's probably more of a slow jog compared to a lot of people and I'm not worried about my pace. Just want to build good, stable endurance for now really.

Also, if you have any good (preferably online and free) resources regarding technique, I'd love to read about it.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

@ThatGreen,

It's easier learn this one step at a time by doing. If you like, I can make an MP3 with a click track you can listen to. It would start with 20 minutes of walking at a cadence of 115. Then it would alternate 20 seconds of walking at a cadence of 115 bpm and very slow jogging at a cadence of 135 bpm. This would continue for a half hour. Then it would have a 10 minute cool down walk at 115 bpm. The total time running out of the hour would be 22.5 minutes. It's supposed to start excruciatingly slow.

I can continue making mp3's for a week or two until you decide if you want to use the method.

I haven't found anything anywhere about how to use a metronome for running training. When I was in the military, singing cadence was used for group runs. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge  Thank you! I'd love to get a sample and try it out.

I have Audacity on my computer, but haven't used it much. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to make a track with some practice, but it would be great to hear how it's supposed to sound.

I was mostly thinking of general running techniques. People tell me I tend to walk on my toes and I've heard that's not great for running. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't even know.. But I'd like to avoid injuries as far as I can.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreen,

I'll try to make a click track for you in the morning.

As for running techniques, I prefer the "shuffle" were I never become airborne. This results in fewer injuries. This is the technique Jeff Galloway recommends, also. The best technique is the one that feels most natural to you. The most common error is having too long a stride length.

"Free" on the internet is often a waste of valuable time. The information is either wrong or to condensed to be useful. I suggest reading Galloway's books and accepting his methods as gospel. In time, you may find another teacher. Running forums are a complete waste of time. 

I'm not claiming any sort of expertise as many training methods work. I know my method will work until I progress to a point that it no longer works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreen,

Here is the metronome file. When you click the link, it will likely say there is a problem opening the file. Then it will give an option to download it. After downloading the file, it should work.

There is a 20 minute walking warm up followed by 30 minutes of walk, run. It ends with a 10 minute walking cool down.

The pace is slow and you should find it easy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreen,

Here is the metronome file. When you click the link, it will likely say there is a problem opening the file. Then it will give an option to download it. After downloading the file, it should work.

There is a 20 minute walking warm up followed by 30 minutes of walk, run. It ends with a 10 minute walking cool down.

The pace is slow and you should find it easy. 

One thing I didn't mention is you won't hear the metronome well if you are near traffic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge  Thank you so much. I'll try it out as soon as I'm able.

How often do you do workout sessions like this?

I tend to vary my activity, but my goal now that the snow and ice has hopefully gone for the season is to get out and walk/run about three times a week.

I live in a quite rural area and tend to favor non-asphalt roads to lessen impact, so I don't think traffic will be much troubleSmiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreen,

I'd probably exaggerate the frequency if I gave a number. Galloway recommends a minimum of three days a week with no more than one day off at a time. I take a day off when there is snow on the ground. I've never run at more than 17 below zero (F). 

Take days off if you have the beginnings of injuries. Do not run with a cold or cough. (It can kill you.) Do not run if you feel generally fatigued.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last week, I took a chance and signed up for Jeff Galloway's six month ecoaching course. At $397, it's expensive for me. 

I sent him complete running history. After about 5 days, he gave me a personalized training plan for a 10k on Nov 30th.

I recommend buying his book even if you can't afford the ecoaching.
The Run-Walk-Run Method by Jeff Galloway

In a short time following his method (about 20 days), I've improve my times by taking walking breaks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've published a metronome app, you can set the tempo by tapping the fitbit, or by setting the tempo directly. http://coolcatukes.com/a_180406_metronome.shtml

Embedded developer, www.ambientpower.co.uk
Ukulele stuff, www.coolcatukes.com
Best Answer