Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More calories burned walking 1 mile then running 1 mile?

I started walking one mile and running the 1 mile back. It takes me 20 minutes to walk 1 mile and when I get to the 1 mile mark I click the goal flag and see I burned 95 calories. I then press the "run" option and job a mile back including jogging up a pretty steep hill. When I get to the 1 mile mark and hit goal it says I only burned 80 calories. That does not seem accurate since my heart rate was way higher then when I was walking?? I would think that I would have burned more calories from running then from walking. 
Am I doing something wrong with the fitbit watch? Im new to the watch so thought I would come ask for help here. 

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

20 min to walk it.

You failed to mention how long to run it back. I'll bet less time.

What was your avgHR for each segment?

I'm going to bet we'll discover the fact that HR-based calorie burn is inflated when at the bottom of the aerobic range (also at the top).

Also the fact that the per mile calorie burn is not that huge of a difference anyway. Meaning a little inaccuracy here, a little there - and you have reversed amounts for your burn estimates (they are estimates afterall).

https://exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

look at the total picture for each mile. Is your HR higher when jogging for an extended period or does it level out after the initial up tick. Your tracker may also not have enough time to capture sustained HR on the one mile jog back. if you are jogging back, it is probably about 14 minutes. So a 6 minute difference between your walk and jog which isn't really a significant difference in an aerobic work out. However... running is good for your heart. Do it or that reason and not strictly for the calories. your tracker will underestimate some, overestimate some, but it should all average out for the day of calories burned. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also walk one mile and run back and also burn more calories when I go

Best Answer
0 Votes

It normally takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile. I usually burn between 90-115 calories. When I run, it is a fast job and my heart beat is consistently high as I do not normally run and at one point I run up a very steep hill and it takes me 10 minutes to run 1 mile. When I run I burn between 75-80 calories. I guess I would need to run more then one mile to burn more calories? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mcooper1314 wrote:

It normally takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile. I usually burn between 90-115 calories. When I run, it is a fast job and my heart beat is consistently high as I do not normally run and at one point I run up a very steep hill and it takes me 10 minutes to run 1 mile. When I run I burn between 75-80 calories. I guess I would need to run more then one mile to burn more calories? 

did you look at link above?

You would burn slightly more running 1 mile than walking literally.

But inaccuracy of HR-based calorie burn is issue.

Your walking is inflated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

hi everyone! If your Fitbit devices are still showing more calories burned when you walk than the running activities, please restart your Fitbit as described in this help article.

Also, I'd like to share this help page, which explains more information about how accurate your Fitbit devices are.

Hope this helps.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes