Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving again after 5 years

I'm gonna try to start this again. 5 years ago I built up to 15,000 steps in one day. But, I have severe arthritis in my left knee. Kills me to bend it. I got my fitbit back out a few days ago and set everything up again. I've been walking a little, very little, 5 minutes at a time the past few days. Today I finally walked 15 minutes and got a mile in. I tend to over do it. I'm not this time. I plan on building up to more but for now my goal is to walk at least the same amount each day that I did the previous day, and then gradually build up to more. The after I walked 15,000 steps my knee was so sore I didn't walk again for 2 weeks. Ready to start losing some weight.

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Good to hear from you @BamaDan I'm glad you have dusted your Fitbit off and want to get going again. Arthritis is a weird thing. It hurts so you don't want to move, but if you don't move it will hurt more. Having started again, please keep moving, but go easy on yourself. It is good to try to walk more, but if you can't make what you achieved yesterday, then please don't beat yourself up! I have found a monthly goal easier. As an example, here is my monthly goal for May:

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                     

20 days over 12,000                                                         

14 days over 15,000 steps                               

4 day over 20,000 steps                                                

Physio exercises 20 days                                 

20 exercise sessions (swim, bike, vigorous walk, dance)   

Why don't you join us in THIS to help meat your boals?

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@BamaDan starting again is the hardest part second to only not over doing it because we are over achievers. You sound like you have a solid plan in place. Stick to it and all good things will happen!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer