Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muscle loss

Hi all. I am trying to lose weight and it is still very much early days. This fitbit has really motivated me to being more active and lead a healthier lifestyle. As part of the healthier lifestyle I have decided to start running. I have gone from stopping three times on an initial 1.8 mile run to now running every other day up to a distance of 4.2 miles without stopping. I have been so pleased with my progress that im nervous about not running and going back to how I was. I have tried not to snack and reduce my calorie intake. But here is my dilema, I have read about muscle loss especially if no resistance training is included. I am worried that a reduced calroie intake and the running may lead to this. I dont want to suffer any muscle loss as i know this is good for keeping a higher motabolism helping me to keep the weight off. So do I ditch the calorie reduction or ditch the running i dont want to do either as I have a weight goal and i am actually enjoying the running. How much resistance training would I have to do? I have the fit bit aria scales so I am able to keep an eye on my Percentage body fat and lean body mass. Like I said it is still early days but i would like to start on the right track to achieving my goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Hi there,  I've been eating with at least a 500-750 daily calorie deficit for about 4 months.  I'm down 31 lbs so far.  I power walk, with a little running every other day.  4+ miles now.  I see no loss in strength.  Quite the opposite.  I've gotten stronger and faster.  My times have gone from 24 minute miles to 18-20 minute miles.  My milage and steps per day have also gone up.  I hit 15000 steps for the first time yesterday.  When I started walking, it was less than a mile.  I've lost weight 11 out of the last 12 days.  One day was the same as the previous day.   During that time I went from 3.61 miles to just over 4 miles, and dropped my times down to under 20 minute miles.

I do eat more calories on exercise days.  Still keeping my 750+ calorie deficit, just eat more on those days due to the calories burned.

I'm sure others will comment, but I don't think you need to give up the running, or eating fewer calories.

As long as you eat enough calories each day, and you eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, your body will think that food is always coming, and not hang onto fat.  But if you eat too few calories, you body might try to hold on to fat, and burn muscle.  So don't pick a number of say I'll eat 1800 calories each day.  You might have to eat 2400 on running days.  1800 on rest days.  And trust me your body will let you know if you aren't eating enough calories.  Today I've been snacking big time.  Even had to have a 4th meal of some vegetables as I was hungry.  Still kept it under 2000 calories, with my fitbit showing 2700 burned for today.

But I'm very active now.  Even started exercing a little at lunch time when I can. 

So keep running!  And watch what you eat and you should be fine. 

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

I lost over 200 lbs and I weigh 106 lbs.  I suggest you eat or drink a lot of protein/get protein drink at Walmart or GNC.  Going to the gym and doing weights, squats, etc.  They will help you out at any gym.  My insurance pays for my gym membership and I go about three times a week.

I was stupid and do have some loose skin from not doing enough strength/resistence training and building muscle as I was losing weight.  YOU have got the right idea.  If you start early on, you will minimize or even chances maybe that you will not have no muscle tone or loose skin.  I had so much to lose because I am petite at 5 ft and I weighed 321 lbs.  Now I am a healthy 106 lbs and have kept it off going on 16 years.

I hope that gives you some insight!  Much luck on your journey.  My Fitbit has been my best friend since I purchased my first one in 2014.  I'm getting the new Fitbit Blaze.  I can't wait!  I know you can do this!

Barbara Rooney
Best Answer

To answer your question, I would resistance train on your off running days at least 3 times a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you do weights and cardio I would keep weight lifting sessions seperate to maximise the gains to strength building (from weights) and endurance/weight loss (from cardio). Also drinking casein before bed can help with avoiding loss of muscle mass while sleeping because it releases amino acids slowly into your digestive system. I hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started out the same, barely able to walk a mile without getting winded. Now I'm running 5k's and training at the gym 4 times a week. I love my Les Mills classes and do those two times a week, the rest of the time I have a light cardio day and weight training. Usually core and hand weights. I do heavy lifting once a week. So far i've lost 63 pounds in 6 months and I have not had an issue with muscle loss from what I can see. I have alot more definition in my arms and calves from the strength training.

Even if it's just doing some squats, leg lifts, and planks a few times a week you're still getting that resistance training in. I'm a lover of cardio and I hate weights! lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ill only add to not try and use the diet to lose weight to fast. Not eating enough may cause the body to use muscle for energy and conserve the fat. Its the slower and steady that wins the marathon of life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The "recipe" for minimizing muscle loss in a caloric deficit is:

1) Do resistance training

2) Eat enough protein (about 2 grams per kg of body weight, sorry, I’m a metric guy) 

Regarding resistance training, focus on a few compound exercises and work with weights that are heavy enough (for you). 3 times a week, 40-45 minutes each should be fine. You can do it at home if it’s feasible and more convenient for you. No need for fancy machines.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you haven't been doing any resistance work at all, you can start with just body weight - no equipment needed at all.

Marking your question "solved" lets others know that they may find an answer to a question they have in this thread
Best Answer
0 Votes

You could have gone to the gym 7 days a week and lifted weights for an hour and you still will have lose skin after losing 200 pounds.  Adding muscle is not going to tighten lose skin when you have lost that much weight.  Congratulations on your weight loss and keeping it off!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fit_bitNewbie- I know your dilemma- been there, still there some days. If I don't run, I don't burn, if I run too much I am not toning and building- cant work out for 2 hours every day for every reason under the sun, so what to do. Here is what I came up with- it works for me-

Friday is rest day- I do nothing

Friday and Saturday are my biggest eat days- OK drink days- so Saturday and Sunday all I do is cardio (run) to burn as much as I can

Monday- I run an 8 minute mile with 5 minutes of sprint/walk- and its leg day

Tuesday- run 3 miles and its core day

Wednesday- 8 min mile and 25 minutes elliptical and its arm day

Thursday- 3 miles - 5 minute sprint/walk and its stretch the heck out of myself with light weights day

I am in the gym for 65 minutes. I am in maintenance - although on occasion I drop a pound. if you did this you would of course adjust your calories per day based on activity. I hope you figure this out- good luck!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

Adding muscle is not going to tighten lose skin when you have lost that much weight.

Maybe not, but that wouldn’t make it worse either, would it?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes