Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fitbit charge hr is counting too many many steps while sitting??

I just opened my fitbit this morning and I synced it to my phone and it said I already had 637 calories burned and 23 steps counted. I work in an office and i've been sitting here answering the phone scanning papers and writing emails and my step count is now at 555... Clearly thats not correct since i've been sitting all morning. Is there a way to change the sensitivity or will the fitbit continue to add hundreds of steps?

Please help???

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

The calories burned are BMR calories. Your fitbit also calculates calories burned for your BMR. You burn calories just by being alive! Even Sleeping. Fitbit includes these burned calories in it's calorie calculations, so even if you did not wear the fitbit, you'll still burn these calories.

Read this

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-Fitbit-know-how-many-calories-I-ve-burne...

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, but I'm wondering about the steps. I don't move around much at work. Mostly pick up the phone and type and it's calculating hundreds of steps. How is that possible? I asked other friends who have the same device and they said theirs does not do this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, its on your wrist so.. lets say you pick a phone up and put it down.. that could mimick an arm swing.  Maybe if you're typing a lot or  put your arm in your lap then back up.  You can just shake your arm and the step count will go up.

Its a nice guide but its not a precision tool. Another way that may help -- are you wearing it on your dominant hand?  If so, you should change your fitbit to reflect that,  I think it has a little bit tougher of an algorithm to detect step counts.

As for the BMR.... gah I wish they'd throw that out and just count calories burned and let you set your own calorie count.  Hate that thing.  Its way off for me all the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Deksam wrote:

Yeah, its on your wrist so.. lets say you pick a phone up and put it down.. that could mimick an arm swing.  Maybe if you're typing a lot or  put your arm in your lap then back up.  You can just shake your arm and the step count will go up.

Its a nice guide but its not a precision tool. Another way that may help -- are you wearing it on your dominant hand?  If so, you should change your fitbit to reflect that,  I think it has a little bit tougher of an algorithm to detect step counts.

This.  If you move your arms a lot of move using your chair, Fitbit could could register it as a step.  You can also go into settings and adjust Fitbit's ensitivity depending on which arm you are using.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have this too, recording phantom steps. it is on my right arm and i have stated i am right handed. but just standing making a cuppa recorded 56 steps....i didnt move LOL

can you change the sensitivity of it? I also work in a office and on the phone and typing all the time

its the ALTA i have cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes