Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My resting HR is about 80, how can I reduce it?

My resting HR is a bit high, how can I reduce it?

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Regular aerobic exercise. Also, meditation and deep breathing exercises if you are stressed/anxious.

Best Answer

In the Fitbit app, swipe to the second page of the HR tile ("Cardio Fitness"), then maximise it. You will have 4 pages worth of tips on how to improve your cardio fitness.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Usually a combination of losing weight, reducing your Body Mass Index (BMI), reducing stress, practicing mediation, and doing more cardio exercises over a long period of time will work.

Sometimes it's just genetic.  I do know people who are overweight and very inactive that have RHRs in the mid-60s.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

In a word -- movement.    This is an article from the NY times about heart rate in elite folks but the principle applies to all humans.

Heart of a Swimmer vs the Runner

Best Answer

Just keep moving. The more you move the better you’ll start feeling and the best part is you HR will naturally lower on it’s own.  Diet also plays an important role in this.  

Best Answer

I really struggled with this! My heart rate was around 76 and is 65 as of today. What helped me lower it was reducing my drinking and taking up swimming / fitness class. Swimming is the one that has made the real difference for me! Even only doing it 1-2 times a week for 30mins. 

Good luck 🙂 

Best Answer

@Cold_Dog Thank you for that article, it was a great one to read!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

try taking deep breaths in threw your nose and out your mouth and counting while inhaling and exhaling also helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To name a few...

More sleep
Less stress
De caff
Proper nutrition 
Hydration
Non/overtraining 

Combination of everything will dictate that.

Best Answer
0 Votes