Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on loosing these last few pounds.

I am seeking some advise on some possible routine exercises to help me loose these last 13 pounds. A little bit about me is I work part time and go to school part time. During my free time I am attempting to stay in a workout routine at the local gym however, I am limited on some of the things I am able to do due to some health issues. I have had 2 back surgeries and facing a 3rd plus I knots on the bottom of my feet that keep me from being able to run. My current routine is every other day at a local gym which is due to not having enough time in the day for everything every day. When I go to the gym I will 1st walk on the treadmill for about 10 mins or a 1/2 mile which ever is 1st. My pace fluctuates due to the pain in my back at times. Then I move on to the exercise machines (cant think of the technical term here) 1 day I will focus on upper body on these machines and the next I will focus on lower body. When I 1st signed up at the gym I was given a workout routine and I have stuck to this. Once I am finished there I will then go to the cycle for 10 minutes or get back on the treadmill for 10 mins or another half mile. 

When I first started I was pushing 275 and I managed to loose 100 lbs using this routine within about 4 or 5 months. I am now down to 163 and my goal weight (which is the average weight for my height) is 150. But after doing this for months I cant seem to get that last little bit back off or even replace the fat with muscle in my mid section. My calorie intake is good and I do not overeat as that has never really been the issue rather then just not getting off of my rear haha. 

Thank you for any advise 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Congratulations on losing the 100 lbs! If you still eat the same and do the same exercise as when you started, then you are not losing weight because you are burning less calories. You don't have to carry those 100 lbs around anymore and you have become more efficient at your exercise. Either eat less than you currently do or increase the intensity of your work outs.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jennpherwrote:

When I first started I was pushing 275 and I managed to loose 100 lbs using this routine within about 4 or 5 months. I am now down to 163 and my goal weight (which is the average weight for my height) is 150. 

Going down my more than 100 lbs in 4-5 months is a huge achievement that must have required a lot of work and dedication. However, it may have been too much too fast, which is why your most sensible goal for the time being could be to maintain your current weight for a while, rather than chasing the "last few pounds" right away.

I’d like to refer you to the Losing All Your Weight At Once video by Dr. Mike Israetel, mentioned in this older topic on the Dreaded Plateau. It explains why a phasic approach (alternating phases of weight loss with phases of maintenance) makes more sense and gives better long-term results.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I am usually in the camp of make an adjustment to your current weight and fitness level, but after reading how much you lost and in the time frame you lost it, I too think you should take a month off from chasing the pounds and hang out where you are. you need to give yourself a break. You can in the meanwhile increase the weights you are lifting so even though the scale may not move, your overall appearance may. If of course you are in the mindset of I need to lose it now and relax later... you have to decrease your calories in by a little and increase your calories out by more. whatever activity doesn't hurt is the one you want to increase.. either go faster or go longer. It could be adding an incline to your walk and adding a few more minutes or adding resistance to the cycle and going faster or longer. if your tracker has an HR function try to keep it in fat burn or cardio for a longer period so you burn a bit more calories. Mostly, don't forget to celebrate and high five yourself on your accomplishment so far. Amazing work.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the kind words. But if I reduce how much I'm eating then I won't be eating much if anything if I eat at all. I say this because some days all I eat is lunch which will consist of a chicken salad sandwich and a soft drink. On the days that I do eat more it's typically not much more. Calorie wise the worst my eating habits may be in a typical day, and this is just an example, would be I had a Philly cheese steak sub from Arbys, a medium curly fry, and a smoke house brisket sandwich. But most of the time I'm only eating 1 meal a day and that's when I get home from work around 1-3 pm. Also I eat before going to the gym and if it's one of those days like the Arby's scenario I will eat the 2nd sandwich when I'm on my way home from the gym. Lastly I never eat at night or late evening because I know that's the worst thing to do  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I apologize for taking so long to respond. However I have been stuck in the 169 lb range for almost a year now. I should have been a little more clear about that I'm sorry for that. And the first 100 pounds came off pretty easy. I was very stressed out dude going through a divorce and I went back to work so that made it easier to come off. But since making this post I've actually drop down to 158 but I'm right back at a hundred 162 so I don't call that a win just yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes