Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need excercises where I won't have to stand..recovering from surgery.

ANSWERED

I'm recovering from foot surgery and now my mobility is limited.  I'm unable to do my normal walking and standing aerobics, cardio is basically out the question.  I've never really been a floor exercise or weight person.  Any suggestions?  I have to do something, just not sure wear to start.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Kbrown2930 - Do you have access to a gym/workout equipment? There are a lot of exercise machines that focus strictly on your upper body. Also, check with your doctor, but when I had a broken ankle, once it healed to a certain point, I was able to use a stationary bike, as long as I was careful about not putting too much stress on my injured ankle. Additionally, there are a lot of core exercises that you can do just lying on the floor with no stress on your feet at all. Good luck and I hope that your foot heals quickly!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Kbrown2930 - Do you have access to a gym/workout equipment? There are a lot of exercise machines that focus strictly on your upper body. Also, check with your doctor, but when I had a broken ankle, once it healed to a certain point, I was able to use a stationary bike, as long as I was careful about not putting too much stress on my injured ankle. Additionally, there are a lot of core exercises that you can do just lying on the floor with no stress on your feet at all. Good luck and I hope that your foot heals quickly!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My brother used to fill gallon jugs (you know, the kind with the ring hold for the finger) with water to excercise his arms. To start small, you can use a couple of soup cans.

These arm movements still count as steps. Anyone who thinks it is cheating is wrong. It is easier to take an enencumbered step than it is to lift a jug of water.

Best Answer

@Kbrown2930 Will your DR allow swimming? Thats worth a try

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would visit the local library and ask the librarian to find a book, preferably written by a physiotherapist, with exercises for how to strengthen the back and stomach muscles. The book must have pictures (photos or drawings) and detailed descriptions so that you don't get hurt doing it. Not sure you can avoid the floor. It made me so happy and relieved a few years ago to find out that you can get very strenuous exercise just lying on your back and lifting legs in turn. But it must be done the right way so as not to hurt the back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ot I'm in the same situation....had foot surgery three days ago and it's going to be a several week recovery.  There are lots of ideas on the internet about how to get cardio and exercise....just google it!

Best Answer

I had ankle surgery a week ago I can't get on the floor or put weight on it what exercises helped you in just laying here getting fat

Best Answer
0 Votes