Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding fitness routine-Plantar Faciitis and uncooperative knees

ANSWERED

Hi all!

I need some help.  I'm a smidge frustrated at the moment and I thought I would see if anyone out there had any suggestions.

I have terrible plantar faciitis which can be pretty painful at times when working out.  Additionally, I guess I reached a weight where working out in basically any capacity makes my knees and lower back KILL.  (220, 5 foot 2; age-26)

The first workout I did on December 18th was Hip Hop Abs for an hour and that night my knees hurt so bad and were so swollen that I had to ice them.  

Since then I've done it successfully again for 30 minutes (a week ago-with next to no pain afterward)  and 60 minutes (2 days ago).  Well I tried to do it today even though yesterday I had some upper thigh pain...I had to stop after 20 minutes do to severe lower back pain/thigh cramping.  I told myself I was going to do an hour though, so I popped in a beginners yoga dvd that I've done a ton before.  Well as soon as I tried the triangle pose for the second time, my knees started popping LOUDLY and hurt.  I said...screw it...and turned it all off and went upstairs.  The whole time I was going up the stairs sounded like I was walking on rice crispie treats.

I bought the PiYo dvd set on ebay and it should be here within the next couple days, so I'm hoping that that will be low enough impact.

I just need some advice on excercises or dvd's that might be better for me.  I can't swim (I'm too afraid of drowing....since I'm so short).  I will have access to a gym with excercise classes in the new year as well.  I know that doing cycling will be good, but I can't start that for another week.  

Any advice would be great!  

Oh and my gym offers personal training sessions...worth it?  

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

I don't know why this 3 year old thread is trending right now.

I'm not about to argue points I made 3 years ago.

My plantar fasciitis went away with a year of regular exercise, weight loss, and a significant increase in flexibility which decreased the tension I had in my calves.  I now do all sorts of things including rock climbing, 5ks with obstacle courses, spinning, yoga, and barre.  

Best Answer
0 Votes