Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mom, gotta get moving

When I got my fitbit a couple of years ago, I went from exercising 3 times a week to moving extra every day...at least half an hour a day.  Last January I upped my game to jogging and more weight lifting.  My jeans were finally fitting better and I was getting complements at work (I go by this since the scale hardly moves for me).  In early February I found out I was pregnant (yay!).  I continued with my exercise until it was too much in the end.  My little one just turned 3 months and I'm having a difficult time physically.  I'm still technically healing from my c section.  A couple of weeks ago I started just wearing my workout clothes and I would get on the treadmill when I could during naps.  I was averaging 20-30 minutes on the treadmill 3x a week.  Not much but it was a start.  Then I got sick and stopped moving.  Last week I started work again.  I think I'll have time to work out in the morning before work.  I'm just feeling so out of shape, and I keep hurting my lower back.  I always get lower back pain when I gain too much in my belly.  I am breast feeding, so I'm starving all the time.  This is going to be more of a struggle than I thought.

The baby slept through the night for the first time last night (yay!) but that also resulted in my getting up later, so I did not have time to work out.  I think I'll try to walk on my lunch break but it's 20 outside so I don't know how long I'll last.  I really can't after work since my husband is working after I get home so I'm on baby duty pretty much until she goes to bed.  I just need to start moving daily again.  I can do this!

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Yes! You can do this! Don’t set your goals so high that you give up after a few weeks. Look at your step average in the last two weeks and up it by say 2,000 steps then when that is feeling comfortable and easy up it again but only far enough that it’s a little effort to reach. 😊 you go girl! Keep stepping and congratulations on your new little one!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks!  I walked for half an hour at lunch.  My goal is to get half an hour in every day, then start working in weights, and eventually get back to jogging.  But I have to do the mini goals to get there.

Best Answer

B602E81B-0D11-4902-8BAB-C24DC583F58B.png

These were my steps from 1 year ago, right about when I got pregnant. I need to get back there!

Best Answer

Hey!  You got this!  Having a new baby and trying to take care of yourself can be very hard.  I completely understand where you're coming from!  Have you tried workout videos at home?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations on your little miracle! Good for you that you are planning and plotting how to get fit again. it will be easier when it gets warmer- baby in the stroller and off you both go. In the meanwhile.. just a suggestion- if your back can handle it.. put your baby in a harness, get on the treadmill and go. you will get a really good core workout, plus mileage and bonding time with your little one. you may have to keep a steady stream of conversation going so the little one stays awake- too early to sleep - kills your night.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I'm actually back to work, and I find it's easier to get 10k+ steps a day now that I'm back.  I get up early & walk on the treadmill, and try to do as much walking as I can at work.  I do work behind a desk, but I can walk on my lunch break and take short breaks throughout the day to get my 250 steps/hour in.  I'd like to get back to morning jogs and weight training in my living room.  It will get easier when the weather is nicer, though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Indeed, to take care of a baby is very difficult! You are great that you can find the time and possibility to make exercises. Personally, I did not have such an opportunity at all. Our baby was so restless and noisy that I could not even go to the toilet without him. I was very upset that I gained excess weight, but I had now possible to make exercise and sports. So the only thing I could do was walking a lot with a stroller. Frankly speaking, he always cried and I had to feed him anywhere, But after 6 months when we added baby feed hole stage 1 in his nutrition it became much easier.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My wife also suffers because of less activity. Indeed, I work a lot, and she stays all day with the babies at home and she has no time for sports, just walking. To be a mum is hard work, especially if you have 3 kids and each of them needs care and attention. To tell the truth, it was a surprise for us when we found out that we will have twins. Our elder son has 10 years and we have forgotten all the nuances of living with small babies. Fortunately, there appeared a lot of marketplaces like this mommyhood101 where you can order everything you need in one place. I remember the times when you had to go around the whole city in search of a specific stroller, nipples, and a bottle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the information, keep sharing this type of info AlaskasWorld

Best Answer
0 Votes