Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New workout

So due to injury I had to change my usual workout which consisted of around 23km mild walking outside and 10km pacing at 7.3 km/h on a treadmill. In the last days I had to swim and use the elliptical instead.. I use my apple watch to track calories but do you think that it is possible that I have burned more calories than it says due to the fact that I was unused to those activities (it was my 1st time on an elliptical and I hadn’t swam in like 4 years)?
Also, I swim in warm water (around 31 degrees celsius), does that effect my calories burned because the usual temperature for swimming is usually lower (max 27 degrees)
I will be very glad to hear your opinions., :)

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Blank124

The calories burned will depend somewhat on the amount of exertion and your cardio fitness. So if an activity raises your heart rate above what another exercise would do, then it should be burning more calories.

Not sure about the temperature question. Again, I'd say if the added heat causes an increase in heart rate, then there's probably more calories burned. I know I burn many more calories and have an elevated heart rate sitting in a sauna compared to sitting in a normal temperature environment.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

First comment: 23 km is at least 4 hours, and 10 km is about 1.5 hours, that sounds a lot for a "usual workout". Secondly: if your aim is to burn as many calories with swimming and elliptical as while walking for 5+ hours, you will have to put your stock on the elliptical. No way you can sustain swimming for long enough in order to burn the same amount of calories, especially if you aren’t a regular swimmer. My question is: why does your workout need to be so long? Have you considered including some kind of resistance training in your routine?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes