Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - :-) My first Fitbit day, and my first 10k :-)

ANSWERED

My Fitbit arrived last night, and I have already gone over 10k, for my first day. 🙂

A bit of my history - I used to be a keen (but slow) runner. Then in 2005, I fell off my bicycle, in France, and hit my head. Luckily, I was wearing a helmet - I assume that without it, I'd be dead. As it was, I spent 8 months in hospital, and 18 months off work on sick leave. Luckily, I did get to be allowed back to my job, eventually. I also have a year and a half's worth of memory missing - which includes us moving house, and having our second daughter. I am now officially blind - I can see OK for most things, but I most certainly can't drive - I can see nothing to my right. After the accident, I got back into running (although I was even slower than I was before). But then I developed a lot of pain in my right hip and backside. I have been trying to deal with this for years now, I have had huge amount of physiotherapy, I had an operation a couple of years ago, and I actually have yet another hospital appointment about it, tomorrow.

Anyway, that hip problem made me stop running, a few years ago. I am now feeling really podgy, and when someone at a party on Saturday suggested a Fitbit, I thought "Oooohh...."

So, today was my first Fitbit day, and my first 10k. As I am a former runner, the phrase '10k' means running a 10 kilometre race, so the phrase is a bit odd, but hey, I am just as proud of myself! I made myself walk as fast as possible, and I thought "Right, I will go to the train station to buy my tickets for next week ... now I will go the long route home ... oh, look, if I just do a couple more hundred metres ..." So, I got to the 10k mark. 🙂

Now, what are the chances of me keeping this up?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the fitbit world @Flumptious: Sorry to hear what you have gone through. But you survived all those hurdles! Kudoos to you. I think you are a brave woman. Chances of keeping up your step goals are high. Hope to see you around. Happy stepping!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the fitbit world @Flumptious: Sorry to hear what you have gone through. But you survived all those hurdles! Kudoos to you. I think you are a brave woman. Chances of keeping up your step goals are high. Hope to see you around. Happy stepping!

Best Answer

@Flumptious I think you are awesome. Of course you are going to keep it up- find some friends, join some challenges and have some fun!!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@Flumptious Welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

It's so nice to hear the positive impact your Fitbit tracker has had on you already. I really do believe it will bring lots of motivation to stay active for a long time to come. You're now part of a supportive community that will help you reach your daily step goal.

I hope to see you around the boards! Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Welcome to the community! You surely are resilient, given what you've been through. Best wishes on your journey! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow good for you. I'm just back on mine as on my way back into fitness after a hospital stay. Add me if you want 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes