Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay to run with orthotics?

ANSWERED

The VA gave me these swell-looking orthotics. I asked them specifically if it was okay and/or recommended to run in them. Never a response-so I posit this community. The orthotics were issued to me essentially because I had some very slight spurring on my two big toes (gout was ruled out) and assumed RA in the feet. I use them daily in my tennis shoes at work when I go for walks. But, I also run in them and have no repercussions elsewise. Is this okay to do? Or am I hurting myself (hell with the orthotics) by doing this? Please and thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I will share my personal experience.   I have been wearing custom molded orthotics for over 10 years now.  I have arthritis caused by gout.  I have no issues with running with them.  The only time I have to take caution is when I get a new pair of shoes.  I have to let the orthotics settle in 1st before trying any running or sports.  Otherwise my ankle slips out or I develop blisters.

SW 327 May 17, 2015
CW 272.2

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the forums @nickhitt. We are a group of enthusiasts of the FitBit tracker here and as such don't have a medical background. Therefore, we cannot judge your situation (specially since it is only a forum). I would advice you to get in touch with a doctor to get the answer.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

This is a good article on spurring on the big toe.

Rheumatoid arthritis can often be cured by not eating any dairy products. Further damage from Osteoarthritis can often be prevented in the same way.

The general rule is if something hurts, don't do it. Medications can mask pain, but don't stop further damage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bump.

I don't need a medical analysis, nor do I want an opinion that you can't provide an opinion. Either opine or move on from this post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will share my personal experience.   I have been wearing custom molded orthotics for over 10 years now.  I have arthritis caused by gout.  I have no issues with running with them.  The only time I have to take caution is when I get a new pair of shoes.  I have to let the orthotics settle in 1st before trying any running or sports.  Otherwise my ankle slips out or I develop blisters.

SW 327 May 17, 2015
CW 272.2
Best Answer