Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak exercise

ANSWERED

I do my elliptical typically 6 days a week.  I've noticed I am in the peak exercise between 50% to 75% of the time I'm working out.  I only do 32 minutes a day.  Now I read something that said you shouldn't spend too much time at your peak exercise, so am I doing damage?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Doxiemom95 The peak zone is way too wide. If you feel alright and can continue like that then it's hardly your peak HR. Fitbit uses a very simplified model of zones (only 3). What is not advised is staying long in anaerobic or neuromuscular zones which here would be the very top of your peak (a few beats from your real max HR, not the one based on your age, as @alexthecat pointed out). Below that there's a threshold zone (HR you can keep for approx. an hour, still challenging but doable) which is also part of the peak zone on Fitbit but it's nothing wrong with staying in the threshold longer. In my case, the Peak range includes 3-4 zones based on other models so it's not particularly useful as in lower peak I can run at tempo effort (for example, regular run, not too easy, not too difficult, and long 2-3hrs), mid-peak is somewhere near my threshold, this is where my heart goes when I race, more effort, but can keep it long (and this improves threshold and VO2Max, so nothing bad about it), and very peak of my peak is anaerobic, for very intense short intervals and repeats - this is the range one shouldn't be staying for a very long time and really, human body won't allow that (simply will drop in performance). The advice of not staying too long in the Peak zone isn't very useful and moreover, it's very counterproductive to any sort of training.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

What heart rate range are you considering to be peak and how have you determined that? If you're basing that in the 220-age calculation, that is notoriously inaccurate for many people. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm just using the info my Fitbit shows.  I think my peak is 141+ bpm.  I am 66 years old and I feel just fine with that.  I recently read you shouldn't stay in your peak for too long, but naturally it didn't say how long is too long.  I have always tried to stay in the peak zone for as long as possible.  So I was hoping for someone who could clarify it for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Doxiemom95 The peak zone is way too wide. If you feel alright and can continue like that then it's hardly your peak HR. Fitbit uses a very simplified model of zones (only 3). What is not advised is staying long in anaerobic or neuromuscular zones which here would be the very top of your peak (a few beats from your real max HR, not the one based on your age, as @alexthecat pointed out). Below that there's a threshold zone (HR you can keep for approx. an hour, still challenging but doable) which is also part of the peak zone on Fitbit but it's nothing wrong with staying in the threshold longer. In my case, the Peak range includes 3-4 zones based on other models so it's not particularly useful as in lower peak I can run at tempo effort (for example, regular run, not too easy, not too difficult, and long 2-3hrs), mid-peak is somewhere near my threshold, this is where my heart goes when I race, more effort, but can keep it long (and this improves threshold and VO2Max, so nothing bad about it), and very peak of my peak is anaerobic, for very intense short intervals and repeats - this is the range one shouldn't be staying for a very long time and really, human body won't allow that (simply will drop in performance). The advice of not staying too long in the Peak zone isn't very useful and moreover, it's very counterproductive to any sort of training.

Best Answer

Thank you very much, your answer was helpful.  I do feel great during my peak exercise and i spend the rest of the day feeling energized.  I think I'm a bit addicted to it but I feel so good I don't want to slow down.

Thanks again!

Kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes