Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak heart rate for 29 minutes

Over the last 2 months the amount of time I spend in the peak heart rate zone during a 45 min spin class as gone from an average of 4 minutes to and average of 20minutes. In tonight's class I was in peak for 29 minutes!

Is this safe?

And what would cause me to have different heart rates?

My fitbit is the same, on the same wrist and nothing has changed about my lifestyle or general fitness.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

@alice56365 wrote:

Over the last 2 months the amount of time I spend in the peak heart rate zone during a 45 min spin class as gone from an average of 4 minutes to and average of 20minutes. In tonight's class I was in peak for 29 minutes!

Is this safe?

My fitbit is the same, on the same wrist and nothing has changed about my lifestyle or general fitness.

Hi @alice56365,

I've spent that long in peak before. It's doable, but pretty uncomfortable.  Over time, that amount of time spent in peak has gone down, so I'm not sure what's happening in your case.

I would use a stopwatch and your finger/pulse, to test the results against the Fitbit to make sure the accuracy is fine. Usually in peak zone, it's not possible to hold on a conversation. Could you describe how you felt during this 29 minute period? Out of breath? Uncomfortable?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@alice56365 yep what Dave said. Did you feel dizzy, did anything ache or tingle? are you putting in greater effort without realizing you are and causing the spike? and how quickly did your HR come back down after you stopped the activity? If you are more than curious, I would call the doctor and inquire if there is a need for a visit. If you didn't feel poorly and there hasn't been unexplained spikes when doing non- intense workout things then maybe keep an eye on it for another week and if it is still happening, call your doc.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@alice56365 wrote:

Is this safe?

Odds are you really weren't in the so called Peak Zone.  Why?  Because the zones are gross averages across a very wide cross section of individuals, they are as accurate for some folks as they are inaccurate for others.  In your case I strongly suspect you're like maybe half the runners I coach (which would include myself) in that your max heart rate is higher, even much higher, than the poorly informed 220-Age formula would predict.  In my case my calculated max is 160 when reality suggests it is more in the 182-185 range.  Before Fitbit created the new(ish) "Maximum Heart Rate" property in user's profile, I could go for say a 90 minute run, and not only would my heart rate be in the peak zone for the entire time, my average heart rate would literally be a beat or two lower than my calculated max.

My recommendation for you would be to get a feel for your true max, either by experimentation (searching this site or running an internet search will provide you with some techniques for figuring this out) or by having a doctor run you through a series of tests, and then adjust your Maximum Heart Rate property in your profile.  Once you adjust that setting, your zones will adjust up and things will look more realistic.

Best Answer

Also keep in mind that the peak zone using the 3 zone method (as fitbit does) is from 85 to 100 percent of your MHR. If your fitness level is good you should be able to stay between 85 and 90 percent for quite a while. I have some workouts that I stay in the peak zone for about an hour, but that does not mean that I'm close to my MHR that whole time.

I do agree with @shipo that you should know your true MHR.

Best Answer

Alice56365,  I've often spent as much as 35 minutes in my peak zone without feeling uncomfortable.  As long as you are not gasping for breath and can carry on a comfortable conversation you are still in your aerobic zone.  Fitbit zones are only arbitrary based on your age.  If you feel comfortable in your peak zone that's all that's important.  At times I've even gone over my theoretical maximum HR without feeling uncomfortable and survived! 

Best Answer

I do high intensity 5 and 6-mile runs and spend the whole time at peak (180 bpm for 40-50 min) - it is fine.

Best Answer

Yup - me too....don't worry about what the device says, just monitor how you feel - I feel GREAT running at peak heart rate for an hour+ even.

Best Answer

If someone can maintain max heart rate for 29 mins, it simply means it is not max heart rate. I have often been in Peak heart rate for 15 to 30 mins which only means that it can't be my peak. I simply ignore that and go by my feel. Body itself tell when to slow down and I hear that.

Best Answer

Hey, I’ve just started running With a very motivational friend. I have done 4 5k runs in 7 days and every run I am pretty much running the whole run in peak zone. Today my heart rate went to 190. I can not hold a conversation and it’s pretty touch but I don’t feel sick or dizzy just really unfit haha

Best Answer

Greetings, I also normally do a 60 minute spin class.  Was doing it 3 times a week before they stopped classes, but I would be at peak for 55 minutes of the class.

I think you are doing just fine as long as you don't feel like you are going to pass out at the end of the class or are completed gassed at the end of an intense level climb or sprint.

I find personally when doing jumps on the bike I am at the higher level of peaking than just a normal run, but I feel just fine.

Keep on spinning

Best Answer
0 Votes