Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pilates

Anybody out there do Pilates? Any good?
Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I'm not a big pilates person, although I know many who love and swear by it.  Too slow for me.  Instead, I go for group exercise with movement and music, i.e., Zumba, Body Jam, etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been doing Pilates for around 2 years now and I've definitely noticed strengthening of muscles and slight change in body shape. I originally began to strengthen muscles around knees but could see the other benefits so I've continued with it. I do Pilates with the machines, not floor-based so can't comment on that style.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have been doing it for four weeks now and I feel better for it. Will keep it up for a little while longer to see if it makes a difference. Please so far though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dalenboo wrote:
Anybody out there do Pilates? Any good?

I use to take classic Pilates type mat classes at a dance studio. My teacher was trained by Joeseph Pilates protege so it was fairly true to intention.  The class moved fairly quickly even at the beginning level and the movements flowed one to another (similar to a flowing yoga class in some ways). There was a bit of a learning curve. Since this is what I started with, I didn't know what was typical for drop in gym pilates classes. After my teacher moved away, I tried some gym classes and found they were quite easy in comparison. So I don't think there is one thing that is Pilates in terms of what people exerience. It depends whether beginner or more advanced, the equipment used, exercises chosen, whether it is drop in or a class where people know the fundamentals, etc. A lot of the effectiveness comes from focussing on the movements and using good technique--in my opinion. But once you have that--you can apply pilates to really any exercise. I think the exercises (even in the drop in gym classes I mentioned) tend to be good for core strength and for strengthening some smaller muscles that can get neglected. And if you focus on the breathing and mind-body connection it helps with muscle control and awareness that can apply to any workout. I don't think many gym classes would burn many calories though as they seem to stay at beginner level due to the drop in nature (though maybe some gyms offer it at different levels--they gyms I attended usually just have an all levels "pilates" class not beginner, intermediate or advanced pilates). What you get out of it may vary by the class/instructor. 

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I generally mix things up, but I've been loving doing a combo of pilates and yoga lately. I definitely feel the burn and notice strengthening in my muscles. I like the combo better than pilates alone. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Pilates class is in a Pilates studio with reformers and other resistance machines. Some of the work is floor type work but usually on benches with some form of weights. The studio belongs to a Joseph Pilates protege and I must admit it has had distinct improvement on my posture. Even standing in lifts or on the train I am sucking my stomach in and feeling like I like ten times better for it! There are some drop in classes at the gym I go to but I am probably better off doing some sessions myself with the regular gym equipment lying around such as Swiss ball or mat based exercises. Thanks for your post. It was very useful.
Best Answer

I alternate my workouts between pilates & yoga. Love them both.  This past Sunday I tried a PiYo class. It combines Pilates and Yoga together.  It was brutal!  I ached for 2 days, but I felt great. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been working with a trainer for 2 1/2 years, twice a week, plus attending his class once a week.  I don't necessarily know what's yoga and what's pilates, but he does a varying mix of the two.  For the most part, the only equipment we use is the stability ball and the Bosu (1/2) ball.  Before working with him for an hour, I'll do 2 miles on the track - mostly walking but a little running (I'm 61 years old and don't have the wind for much more than that.

It seems that my Fitbit Flex tracks my walk/run accurately, but manually adding even the "advanced" pilates doesn't seem to record enough calories burned for the relative difficulty/windedness/soreness I get from working with him.  

Does anyone know where those calorie numbers come from?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've only been with the trainer for about six weeks and I think that I get more out of that one session than trying to do it on my own. I like the idea of combining it with a 2 mile walk or run beforehand, that is good for adding steps to the fitbit. It seems for other posts on this thread that mixing it up but using the Pilates principles is the way to go. Thanks for replying.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I have been doing Pilates on a reformer since August 2023. I love it. It is challenging and you use your own body weight. It strengthens your core, helps with balance, and just does wonders for the overall body. My legs and thighs are stronger. I don't have bat-wings anymore. And there is some definition in my obliques now. And with eating whole foods as God created them, I am doing very well. I have lost about 15 pounds since January of 2024, which is when I decided to clean up my diet. The Club Pilates where I go, had and a free introductory class. I went to one and was hooked. If you decide to do an intro class you will need to have a pair of yoga grippy socks to use on the reformer's bar, and the straps. I purchased mine from Target. They are cheaper there than buying them from Club Pilates. I go twice a week; in the mornings on Mondays and Wednesdays. The class is 50 minutes long, and we wipe down everything that we use with antiseptic wipes for the next class that comes in. Here's wishing the best for you. 

Best Answer

Yes, that's the Reformer machine as it is known. I do Pilates on the reformer as well. It is challenging and it is a great gentle workout.

Best Answer
0 Votes