Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Plate/Vibration Platform- How can this NOT be effective?

Sorta new at this, I've had my Fitbit for a month and a half and have lost a total of 14 lbs. Isn't that wonderful? I eat a ton, I am more active, and so far I'm having great results. I love it.

My question is about a new gadget I just bought. It's a vibration platform, an off-brand of a Power Plate. You stand on the platform and move in various positions, and you can really feel your muscles expanding and contracting. About halfway through the 15 minute session I start to break a sweat. I feel my muscles hardening. By the end of the session I'm definitely sweating, and feel the same muscle fatigue that I feel after riding a bicycle up a hill, or going on a long walk. The fitbit doesn't know what to make of this, and usually counts it as a bicycle ride, only burning 25-30 calories in a 15 minute session. The idea here is that you use all of your muscles trying to stay stable on the platform, and the vibrations cause your muscles to rapidly expand and contract. 

I've been reading fitness websites pertaining to these vibration platform machines, and the majority of them say that they are scams, snake oil. But I can FEEL it working. I can FEEL my muscles working. I'm sweating. My heartrate increases. And, afterward I FEEL like I just did an intense workout. 

Does anyone else have experience with these machines? And, if so, how were your results?  How could this not be effective when I absolutely feel my muscles working?

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

From what I've read about them they may have some theraputic value.  Most reports say they will not help with weight loss.  If you were asking an opinion about purchasing one I'd probably suggest that you not do so.  Since you've already bought it use it for the theraputic benefit, but understand that it's not likely burning tons of calories for you.  Keep good track of your diet and as you go you can let us all know how it's going.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't care about the therapeutic, I care about toning and improving
circulation. My question is, if this thing engages my muscles and makes me
feel like I've had a good workout how is it possible that it's not burning
calories?
Best Answer

I don't know.  In the end you'll find out.  The only thing I would say is that it's not quite the same as functional exercise.  If you walk, you'll get better at walking.  If you lift weights, you'll get stronger.  If you do aerobic exercise you'll improve your cardiovascular health.  I'm not sure I'm not sure what this machine will do for your overall health.  You said you weren't interested in theraputic, but isn't that what improved circulation is?

However, in the end, I'm just giving you an opinion.  The truth will be for you and what results you see.  In the end it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.  If your results are good, then that's a good thing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/whole-body-vibration/faq-20057958

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know that I would make the vibration platform my only source of workout.  Looks as though it can definately work into a good workout family. But, that's me.  I am a weight lifting girl.  I love the feeling of lifting more then I ever thought possible.

At the end of the day, you do you!  If it works and you enjoy it?  More power to you!!  Just keep an eye on how things are going.  I would recommend real trackable things weight and measurements. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, it's a year old thread, but what the heck.  I've had one of these for 3 years now, and no, it's not the only workout, but incorporated into your regimen is quite the addition.  Find one and do a push-up.  Now do 10.  Stretching is quite beneficial.  I'm using the "power plate" cheaper model, it's got the upright handles but the smaller base, but still has enough real estate I can lay back and stretch my back.  Wouldn't suggest laying out the bucks before you DO A PUSH-UP on one though.  

Was at at the State Fair recently and saw some knockoffs, try those too, but I think the tighter vibration with the power plate is better.  *not an employee😯

Best Answer

I have 1 at work in my office and 1 at home.

That's how much I love mine.

Best Answer