Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proform treadmill 505CTS vs 545

Hi,

Please help me out here, both are at the same price on Amazon UK, from £999 - I've tried doing my own research but couldn't mind much, will be planning to use it with Zwift run and a STRYD PowerMetrer although if one of the treadmills has the functionality allowing me to connect direct to Zwift then that would be a bonus.

Kind regards,

Lewis.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

First of all, my apologies for not addressing any of your questions: I have no experience with the particular treadmills you are considering, and not much with treadmills in general. I also had to google Zwift and Stryd, which may tell something about my lack of tech savvyness Smiley LOL. However, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a treadmill after the first summer of my Fitbit era (that was five years ago). My rationale back then was to secure the ability to get my steps during the winter (I live in a place where days are short and temperatures can get very low at that time of the year). In the end, I decided against it (buying a treadmill) and I haven’t regretted my decision: It was quite easy to walk/run outdoors year-round, once I got the proper gear, and I’m pretty sure I would have become bored to death if I had to spend the same amount of time on a treadmill rather than out in the wild. Instead, I ended up spending on a small home gym, buying a bench, a pullup bar, dumbells, barbells et a few other accessories. I haven’t regretted that decision either, on the contrary: I consider this was money well spent that will keep me happy for years to come. Of course, if you are a hard-core runner and only have limited options to do it outdoors, by all means get a treadmill (hopefully someone will be able to comment on the models you have in mind). It seems many treadmills end up becoming cloth hangers, so you may also try to save some money and buy a second-hand one.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi,

Thank you for this - The treadmill is to actually go into my home gym, that's my thinking behind wanting one. Although I did instead consider Zwift and a bike - As you said hopefully someone can advise on those specific models.

Lewis.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Be prepared to own whichever treadmill you buy for at least 7-12 years. Also, keep track of the kilometers/miles on the odometer as well as the hours used. I've kept my treadmill for 14 years and it has about 3500km and 800 hours of usage. Low mileage and usage for its age. Anyhow best of luck to your purchase.

Best Answer

@exhile: one thing to consider is that modern treadmills increasingly include fancy electronics, virtual reality etc. (like the models considered by @SunsetRunner), so they may become obsolete faster, even if the treadmill itself is still functional. I assume your 14-year old treadmill is primarily just that, a treadmill. I’m not sure to what extent the technology embedded in today’s models will be upgradable give years from now. I’d personally prefer to go for basic models and get the technology as separate items (via tablets, sensors etc.) that can be more easily upgraded or replaced in the future. But right now, the best entertainment for me when walking/running (outdoors) is audio content I listen to on my phone via Bluetooth earbuds Smiley LOL.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique If there is any fancy electronics that will come out in the future, it will be a FitBit that can sync heart rate and calories burned data with a treadmill or any other cardio equipment similar to how an Apple Watch syncs with a Life Fitness treadmill using Apple's GymKit software. The user data for speed, distance traveled, heart rate and calories burned would all be shared between the smartwatch, cardio machine and smartphone. Maybe 10 years from now this technology would be widely available but for as of right now, people have to settle with the current technologies in cardio equipment. 

The heart rate strap that is used on my 14 year old treadmill is the same chest strap used on current treadmill models. Some technologies don't have to change but just be improved upon.

I totally agree about listening to music while walking and or running whether it be indoors or outdoors. It gets too boring to exercise for an hour or 30 minutes without some type of beat.

Best Answer
0 Votes