Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about floor exercises.

ANSWERED

Let me give a brief background. I have had backpain for quite a few years now. I have found exercises and stretches that I would like to do to help strenthen my back but they all require me to get on the floor. Two problems with that though.
1) In my current physical condition I might not be able to get back up.
2) I have a very hard floor, and it hurts the knees, hands, elbows, lowerback, ect.

I do not have an exercise mat (yet, hope to get one soon if finances allow).
So, my question is. Is it ok to do stretches on a bed? Or will that do more harm than good?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.
~Lyridia~

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I recently went through a year of physical therapy for my back and hips and all of my exercises started in bed or on a thick mat on the floor. When I went in for PT, all my "floor" exercises were done on a very thick mat / table (about 5 or 6 inches thick and about the surface size of a full-sized mattress) that was elevated off the floor.  My therapist said to start my exercises in bed and then when I was able to get up from the floor more easily, to move to a thick yoga or exercise mat.   I also used pillows and rolled up blankets to make some exercises more comfortable or to ease into them.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

I recently went through a year of physical therapy for my back and hips and all of my exercises started in bed or on a thick mat on the floor. When I went in for PT, all my "floor" exercises were done on a very thick mat / table (about 5 or 6 inches thick and about the surface size of a full-sized mattress) that was elevated off the floor.  My therapist said to start my exercises in bed and then when I was able to get up from the floor more easily, to move to a thick yoga or exercise mat.   I also used pillows and rolled up blankets to make some exercises more comfortable or to ease into them.

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing that with me.  

Best Answer