Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHR question. Is this a concern or better health

I started wearing my Fitbit Blaze on August 3rd. Prior to that time I went 1 year working a sedentary desk job. Prior to that I worked in retail for 9 years. 

On August 3rd my RHR was 71. I started my runs at the gym on a treadmill, barely hitting 2 miles In 35 minutes, huffing and puffing. Over the course of 6 weeks my RHR has gone down substantially. I now run 3 miles in 38 minutes. The majority of it at 5mph on an incline of 4 and every 8 minutes I raise the incline to 5 and speed up to 7mph for 2 minutes straight, reaching a peak of 175bpm. I do this 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour.

I was laying in bed earlier, just zoning out watching tv, on the fringe of sleep and I looked at my Fitbit to see my RHR was 53. I immediately had a wave of anxiety wash over me and I panicked, shooting it up to high 70’s. From what Google Doctor says “Just like a high RHR, a really low RHR is also bad.” I checked my RHR daily log beginning August 3rd and it’s steadly declined. As of yesterday it’s 58. The lowest logged is 56 but it’s always gone lower consistently. 

From my understanding, a low HEALTHY RHR is only seen in athletes and competitive runners. How accurate is the HR monitor? I didn’t really consider myself an athlete... or maybe that’s normal for my activity level. I just assumed that RHR would only be found in 10 mile runners... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

53 isn’t low enough to be concerned over, IMO. It sounds like you have been doing cardio enough that you have strengthened your heart so your HR is dropping normally. Elite athletes can be in the low 40s without issue. In general, a low RHR is a good thing. 

If you have further concerns I would talk to your doctor. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

@RigelBWell done on your RHR affect... There may not be a concern, but this link, also in Get Moving, has some thoughtful advice..  You may have already viewed this topic.

Smiley Happy Sometimes when I watch TV the Fitbit detects that I'm asleep even through a Bourne movie..

Some of us disprove the doctors because we are genetically built as endurance humans and my RHR has always been under 60 .. unless a trauma..... My sleeping HR also follows the RHR and that can get to portions where the HR is 43-44. When I awake and get out of bed I get no dizziness etc..

I was very active in my earlier years, sport wise, even to the stage when in my late teens my father would say, "Sport is going to kill you son".. I was playing competitive Australian rules football Saturday morning and afternoon, followed up by Sunday afternoon.. I had the capacity and 60 years ago we didn't have the gadgets we have now...

My first experience with RHR was the Surge in 2015, then the Blaze and the Ionic..... and I was typically under 60 bpm in those early Fitbit Smartwatch days.I have found no difference in the devices for RHR..

I had a hip replacement in July 2015 and the RHR went to 74 the day after the op. A month later 61, another month 62, then in October 2015 - 59..The following 2 years it sat around 53.. So with seasonal changes, no deliberate exercise just walking and domestics and it's averaging 55 for the last 12 months.. Smiley Happy Also getting older...

@RigelB wrote:

I started wearing my Fitbit Blaze on August 3rd. Prior to that time I went 1 year working a sedentary desk job. Prior to that I worked in retail for 9 years. 

On August 3rd my RHR was 71. I started my runs at the gym on a treadmill, barely hitting 2 miles In 35 minutes, huffing and puffing. Over the course of 6 weeks my RHR has gone down substantially. I now run 3 miles in 38 minutes. The majority of it at 5mph on an incline of 4 and every 8 minutes I raise the incline to 5 and speed up to 7mph for 2 minutes straight, reaching a peak of 175bpm. I do this 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour.

I was laying in bed earlier, just zoning out watching tv, on the fringe of sleep and I looked at my Fitbit to see my RHR was 53. I immediately had a wave of anxiety wash over me and I panicked, shooting it up to high 70’s. From what Google Doctor says “Just like a high RHR, a really low RHR is also bad.” I checked my RHR daily log beginning August 3rd and it’s steadly declined. As of yesterday it’s 58. The lowest logged is 56 but it’s always gone lower consistently. 

From my understanding, a low HEALTHY RHR is only seen in athletes and competitive runners. How accurate is the HR monitor? I didn’t really consider myself an athlete... or maybe that’s normal for my activity level. I just assumed that RHR would only be found in 10 mile runners... 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I started my weight loss journey in May/June of 2018, and my RHR was around 55, now it goes as low as 46-50, and I am perfectly normal and healthy. I have been active my entire life though, and the few years where I was not were due to illness, or extreme stress...Having a low heart rate and low blood pressure is a very good thing, even when I am overweight, my doctor praises me for my healthy blood pressure and low heart rate...you were probably an active person most of your life...good thing!!!

But check with your doctor if it concerns you, he might just put your mind at ease and give you a well deserved high five!

Best Answer
0 Votes