Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp up your fitness - walk faster

I am an avid Fitbit walker and I average 22,000 - 24,000 steps per day. That walking regimen keeps me in shape and my weight and bio-metrics are always good on my checkups. But I wanted to take my fitness to a better level. I became focused on my resting heart rate, which fluctuated between 69-65 for the last couple of years. I realized that I was walking a lot, but my cardio numbers were low on my dashboard. So I decided to walk as fast as possible - it may sound a little crazy, but the extra speed was difficult at first, but after a couple of weeks, it seems normal. I noticed immediately that I was now getting 40, 50, and 60 minutes of cardio each day and slowly my resting heart rate began to go down. Now it is down to 62, which Fitbit considers to be very good for men my age. And I also noticed that I started to drop a few more pounds, which is a added benefit. I am not a runner - I tried it and the pounding was too hard on my knees. But extra-fast walking - my guess is that I am walking between 4 - 5 mph is the best way for me to focus on my cardio and my heart. 

Fitbit is a great tool to see exactly what is going on with your body - and your sleep as well. Also, the extra cardio workouts seem to be improving the quality of my sleep and I believe that is not just a coincidence. 

Try to ramp up your walking to as fast a pace as possible when you can. Start out with short bursts and work your way up to longer walking sprints. You will be amazed at the difference you can make with this one change. 

Good luck and keep stepping.

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

thank you for sharing @drtkrup1 I hope folks take your advice..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes