Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart Rate increased on holiday

Hi everyone,

My resting heart rate, which is usually around 59-60 bpm, gradually increased to 75 bpm when I went from the UK to southern Europe on holiday.

I was only there for a week and I kept my exercise routine, which is mainly walking 10 km a day (easy enough to do on holiday).

After I came back to the UK my heart rate slowly went back to 58 bpm.

The only explanation I can give is the temperature, which was about 10°C higher on holiday... But is that enough to justify more than 15 additional bpm?

Also, if that was the case I would have expected my hr to go up or down quite suddenly. Instead, it took about 6 days to reach the peak and 10 days to go back to normal.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

You can get there, my resting used to be in the 60's until I got a Fitbit about 5 years ago.  I love to compete so I try to get my goal of 30,000 steps in everyday.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. My resting HR is usually around 62 but since I’ve gotten here to Aruba, it’s gone up to 74. Definitely contributed to the heat (ok, and the alcohol). 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Alcohol increases my heart rate by 8 points over a week

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Just got back from vacation - typical resting heart rate of 58 - jumped up to 67-69 for the trip - and still sitting at 68.  Did some research - turns out a trip involving an increase OR decrease of altitude can cause an increase of heart rate around 10% - just thought I'd share...

Best Answer

I have the same experience. I have traveled overseas about 6 times in the last 8 months and every time my RHR slowly goes up from around 57 to 65 and then slowly recovers after returning home.

I'm guessing it's the stress of the travel, change in time zones, disturbing the sleep pattern (and yes maybe alcohol too).

Also we tune our home environment to exactly our needs and when we travel we don't have that luxury. 

Glad to hear others have the same experience - that's makes me feel more relaxed about the whole thing.

Best Answer
Alcohol is a major factor with increasing my heart rate, a night off and sitting my heart rate is 55-60 bpm , half a bottle of whiskey and it 70s and 80s Just sitting, it’s 80 as I’m writing this 😬

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

This happens to me in the same manner EVERY time I go away for a weekend or  for weeks. Literally today, I have been home for one week from vacationing in Seattle for three days and then on to a cruise ship to Alaska for seven additional days. Every day my rhr rose daily sometimes more than a point a day. It went from 61-72 during this time. I'm not saying it's normal but it's not just you. Now, I will admit that in my case, during this time I was drinking and eating far more than normal. I think beating a glutton and alcohol consumer is just not what our bodies want. Just being honest. 

Best Answer

I have just had the same experience with almost identical readings. It is slowly going down towards my normal. I was in the Baltic so heat was not a factor. I can only think it is subconscious stress of holidays which most people have but are unaware.

Best Answer

yes i have same thing . mine is normally in higher 60s to just around 70 but on holidays inspite of 15Kms per day, due to alcohol, overeating or schedules not maintained, it goes up to 6-8 bpm high then it takes few days to come back to normal range. 

Best Answer

yes the same happened to me when i went to italy this summer.

Best Answer

It seems this happens to a lot of people but I wonder if there is confirmation bias built in with mostly only those whose experience was similar to the tread title bothering to post or check their readings.  It might just be somewhat random variation.  In any case it does not seem like the change for most people is all that much.

I just got back from a 10-day Mediterranean cruise and despite a relative excess of booze and food over my normal habits, and an increase of 5 lbs on my scale readings the day before and day after the trip, my RHR was unchanged.  It is usually an average of about 60 over any given month going with about a 5 beat range between monthly high and low.  For the trip it was an average of 59 bpm with three days at 61 and 2 at 58 1 at 59 and 4 at 60.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you need to have a less stressful holiday! Reading some of the replies makes me think people aren't enjoying themselves as much as they ought to. 

Your heart rate is fine. If you find it elevated on holiday maybe a massage is in order, or meditation, or an extended period of sexual intercourse that's repeated frequently. I'm serious!

Also maybe take that tracker off and stop caring about your heart rate. It's a holiday from all that.

Peter Flynn
Best Answer

Same thing is happening to me. Mine is usually in the low 60’s bpm, but when I went to Thailand where the weather is hotter by a lot, my RHR stayed around high 60’s to low 70’s. Now that I’m back for a week, it came down to low 60’s again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am noticing the same thing on my holiday. My only explanation is I am drinking a bit more and maybe eating more junk food too...

Best Answer
I’m in Majorca for a cycling holiday, drinking excessively and exercise = 😂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I saw the same thing when I went from California to Israel and Jordan on a 10 day trip and my RHR went from ~56 to 60 consistently. Relieved to see this is so common and that it came back to normal in a day. RHR graph

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve noticed my heart rate slowly go up since I recurved my Fitbit despite doing more exercise than before. I wonder if I have a condition or maybe it’s related to the cold spring weather when I first bought the Fitbit compared to the current heat of the summer on a constant scale. 

I live in a place with extreme temperature differences from winter to summer (40 to -40). And I work over an oven in summer and I’m over stressed. 

Still, I’m worried. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

RHR is such a great contributor to hypochondria. I wish people would worry more about truly life-threatening conditions, like chronically elevated (and untreated) blood pressure.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It could also be WHAT you're eating.  I've noticed that my RHR increases when I eat spicier foods (or at least foods with certain spices)!  My RHR was 64 yesterday, but shot up to 67 today (after eating Indian food for dinner).  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is another example of our amazing body and its ability to fight illnesses..

I went to my doctor for my periodical checkup and he had the snuffles. I will never know if I picked up this massive throat from him but my body knew well before me..  Fortunately it didn't develop into a cough, chest  or head cold.. The recovery was rapid as indicated.

I haven't passed it on to anyone, which probably proves that your contagious when you don't have the symptoms as I did.  I was driving up country on own and not exposed to others.  I had my flu shot about 6 weeks ago.  It's winter here.

@DominiqueBecause I like my baselines, I'm interested in what the Fitbit Pure Pulse can detect and analyse.. So far I'm happy with Fitbits performance in this area.

gp cold.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes